FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It begins, again.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu May 05 16 7:40 pm    Post subject: It begins, again. Reply with quote

200 people catering gig mid July - dead center of the good season..
Menu requested:
Pulled pork
pulled chicken
assorted BBQ sauces
slider buns
slaw
beans
fresh veggies
fresh fruit
tater salad
mac n cheese
1 keg root beer
buffet line, tables, chaffers utencils etc.
I reply with a VERY reasonable quote of around $17 / plate as they are family.
I get a reply back, they have a budget of $10.00 / plate.[ really!!??? ] ..What can we do...

Did I mention the gig is 6 hrs away.....I suggested they pick-up at their convenience....and cut out the majority of the menu. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Ken in Maine

PostPosted: Thu May 05 16 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a guy call last week about catering a wedding with 200 guests. He wanted all the fixins... I asked what his budget was and he said around $5000.00. I said we could really put on a nice spread. Then I found out that was his total budget including a tent, tables and chairs etc. He thought he could get us to do it for $10.00/head. With brisket...PP and ribs. He would take care of the salads and drinks along with paper goods.

After talking for a bit I found out he had already contracted with a restaurant in central Maine and they would do it for his price of $10.00. Problem is they are going out of business the end of this month and the wedding is in June. Now he's in a big bind. Of course I told him if I was planning on going out of business prior to his event I could do the job for $9.00/head.

Guess he didn't appreciate my humor and hung up. What is it with people... everyone wants it all for little or nothing. Heck we make more than that selling roadside with much less headache. Average roadside sale is around $12.00
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri May 06 16 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup!
Just today, we 'traveled' to our furthest 'roadside' vending spot ...a WHOPPING 14.9 miles..[ NOT 246 ...ZERO tolls etc ] .burned about 14 gallons of gas [ including gen. running all day] ... and sold more than their budget.....Home by 7pm [ the same day] in my easy chair!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri May 06 16 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow,

They couldn't get out of McDonalds for $10/person.

A very long time ago, I had a prospective client want us to do a pig roast with all disposables, condiments, 90 minute travel each way, servers, etc for 500 people,
His budget was $1,000.00
I actually laughed out loud and asked him if he was pulling my leg and who put him up to pranking me

For some reason He didn't call back
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: