FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How hard is it to use a splitter?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27 16 7:49 pm    Post subject: How hard is it to use a splitter? Reply with quote

Had a couple of trees taken down last week and I have the wood cut to firewood lengths and stacked. I need to split it and my body is not going to tolerate a maul and sledge for long. I don't have much experience with small engines, but I do have a truck and can tow a rental from the Depot (or Despot, as I call it). It'll be a full day's work even with a mechanical splitter (I'm guessing there's between 3 and 4 face cords there potentially and they need to be split so they can begin to season).

Is this a possibility, or am I just whistling Dixie?
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27 16 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get as big a splitter (tonnage pressure wise) as can be possibly had for that much wood. Next I would get two younger helpers, one to keep feeding the splitter and the other to pull the split wood and to stack it or whatever you're doing with it. That would leave you as the operator... the guy that pulls the joy stick and that'll help save your back.

The larger trunk sections might have to quartered with a chain saw in order to get them up on the splitter, assuming a horizontal splitter, or in the case of a vertical splitter then it won't be so bad since you don't have to lift up such a heavy piece.

Now's the time to do it before the temperature and humidity gets out of hand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: