FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calling all experts - first Memphis style rib cook

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeonNC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21 16 10:08 am    Post subject: Calling all experts - first Memphis style rib cook Reply with quote

I am planning a cook this weekend. I will be cooking Memphis style ribs. There are a lot of posts but I'd like to ask any that would, please give your parameters. All imput is appreciated and I will hope to try several styles.

I know this is open ended but anything helps.

Leon
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21 16 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Buy a Lang model 84D
2. build a fire of hickory.
3. adjust vents to achieve a 258.432° fir
4. Go buy some ribs while fire / temps is settling
5. Apply dry rub, preferably Mr Tony's Pork and Chicken rub
6. place rubbed ribs on lower rack opposite end of fire box.
7. Keep fire at precisely 258.432°, or within 15° or so....
8. repeat fire management for 5 hours.
9. Do not touch ribs, do not open door, do not sprits, do not click on any page written by a certain meathead - JUST LET THEM BE!
10. After 5 hours, do bend test - pick up ribs by the 3 thickest bones with tongues, if they bend 45° or more with slight cracking of bark, they are done.
11. Apply sauce if desired and cook another 15 min to set sauce.
12. For restaurant quality ribs, put back in for another hour until attempting to pick up the meat falls off the bone and you have a pile of pulled pork Shocked Crying or Very sad then boil them to remove all real flavor...This boiling can be done before, during and after cooking to achieve that true supper club taste....then drown in sauce of your choice. - ** optional supper club flavor profile: boil ribs for 2 hrs, plop into crock pot full of sweet baby ray's and a quart of liquid smoke, fill until all of ribs are covered and go to work. Come home and put in plastic bubble wrap envelope, for $6.00 "if it fits, it ships" and address to said meathead noted above, he will LOVE them!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
LeonNC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21 16 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Tony's BBQ wrote:
1. Buy a Lang model 84D
2. build a fire of hickory.
3. adjust vents to achieve a 258.432° fir
4. Go buy some ribs while fire / temps is settling
5. Apply dry rub, preferably Mr Tony's Pork and Chicken rub
6. place rubbed ribs on lower rack opposite end of fire box.
7. Keep fire at precisely 258.432°, or within 15° or so....
8. repeat fire management for 5 hours.
9. Do not touch ribs, do not open door, do not sprits, do not click on any page written by a certain meathead - JUST LET THEM BE!
10. After 5 hours, do bend test - pick up ribs by the 3 thickest bones with tongues, if they bend 45° or more with slight cracking of bark, they are done.
11. Apply sauce if desired and cook another 15 min to set sauce.
12. For restaurant quality ribs, put back in for another hour until attempting to pick up the meat falls off the bone and you have a pile of pulled pork Shocked Crying or Very sad then boil them to remove all real flavor...This boiling can be done before, during and after cooking to achieve that true supper club taste....then drown in sauce of your choice. - ** optional supper club flavor profile: boil ribs for 2 hrs, plop into crock pot full of sweet baby ray's and a quart of liquid smoke, fill until all of ribs are covered and go to work. Come home and put in plastic bubble wrap envelope, for $6.00 "if it fits, it ships" and address to said meathead noted above, he will LOVE them!

I love the response!! Laughing There is a TON of great info here. Where would one find the Mr. Tony's rub? The time of the cook is a real help along with the temp. That is quite an exact temp! Shocked I will do my best.

Again..big thanks for the response. I am hoping to gain a lot of ideas and put them to actual test this weekend.

I have read that 1/2 tablespoon of kosher salt per lb of slab in reffer for 12 hours helps a lot. Any thoughts?

Leon
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22 16 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon,

I do not like to rub night before.....seems to me to give a "hammy" quality to the meat. I prefer to rub an hour or so prior to going on the cooker. My normal process is to prep ribs and rub, then start cooker. Seems to work for me.....

Although Mr. T. likes to go for competition finish, my significant other and kids like fall off the bone, so I normally wrap for 1.5 hours or so......For me, that is 2-2.5 hours smoke, 1.5-2 hours foiled, then about an hour unwrapped while saucing. Adjust per your audience.....I like some chew, so I go for competition personally.

YMMV!

Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
LeonNC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22 16 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat797 wrote:
Leon,

I do not like to rub night before.....seems to me to give a "hammy" quality to the meat. I prefer to rub an hour or so prior to going on the cooker. My normal process is to prep ribs and rub, then start cooker. Seems to work for me.....

Although Mr. T. likes to go for competition finish, my significant other and kids like fall off the bone, so I normally wrap for 1.5 hours or so......For me, that is 2-2.5 hours smoke, 1.5-2 hours foiled, then about an hour unwrapped while saucing. Adjust per your audience.....I like some chew, so I go for competition personally.

YMMV!

Ed

Thank you Ed! That is great help for me. I am like you and T, I like pull on the bone. I think I will salt in the fridge for about 12 hours and dust with rub a couple of hours before.

Thanks again

Leon
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22 16 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon be careful with the salt, most ribs are "enhanced" and depending what rub you use unless your making your own will have a good amount of salt . good luck.
LeonNC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22 16 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maniac wrote:
Leon be careful with the salt, most ribs are "enhanced" and depending what rub you use unless your making your own will have a good amount of salt . good luck.

Thanks Maniac. I am purchasing these from Sysco Foods and to my understanding they are not salted. I agree too much salt is not good. I am making a rub myself based on one I found online that I "think" will match up with my family's pallet. The interesting part of learning the art of smoking is the learning curve of finding the right tastes and processes for the meat. I look forward to it. Thanks again. I hope to have news, good or bad, after this cook.

Leon
EastTennQcrew
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 08 16 2:28 am    Post subject: Memphis style Reply with quote

I hit the Memphis BBQ Company a few weeks ago and had some of the best ribs I have had. They had a lite sauce, set, and they had hit it with their rub to give an extra touch. Not over powering, just right, And a little tug to the meat, not fall of the bone.

Very good food all the way around

RandyE
biker.chef
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 16 16 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that (3,2,1) is too long for spares om my cooker
Last cook I did 3,1,.5) @220

FWIW
EAT BACON
NAVET
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 16 16 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my WSM:
I do spares 2-2-.5-1 Sometimes 30 minutes after wrapping does it and sometimes they take a bit longer.
I do Baby Backs (BB) 2-1-.5-1 Again, sometimes it only takes 30 minutes, sometimes more.

I rub mine the night before, spares or BB, and have had no problems with a "hamminess" to them. I use my rib and put quite a bit on. I wrap face down in saran wrap then aluminum foil. Face down so whatever juice forms, stays in contact with the ribs. Then when they come outta the aluminum foil wrap (wrapped with jelly , brown sugar, and butter) during the smoke session, whatever juice comes out, I put that back in my glaze.

Competitive BBQ; The only sport where a fat, bald man can be looked upon as a hero.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: