FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brisket and Turkey for 200 (served carving station style)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quietman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12 16 12:10 am    Post subject: Brisket and Turkey for 200 (served carving station style) Reply with quote

Hi all.
I don't enjoy be like "that inlaw" that only comes around when he needs something but...............

I am looking for advice on a catering gig that I have next month.

I have smoked several turkeys with fine results (thanks to the help from folks on this site), but have never done breasts to be served this way. First off, not entirely sure what is available product wise. Second, would the same technique be used as smaller whole birds?

My plan is to do the brisket overnight, pull around 11am and place in cambros. This will free up the smoker for the turkey needing a higher temp. This make sense?
Any advice on cooking and holding the turkey is much appreciated

This is a back of house gig for a music festival, feeding multiple bands, their guests, and stage/production crews. Our second year with this particular event. We do events for the same company at this venue and others. They always aim high with the # of people to feed and the expectations are high. Fortunately, cost is not the factor when they hire caterers.

Thanks

Toontroller

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12 16 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use these boneless turkey breasts from Restaurant Depot with excellent results.

20777750000 TURKEY BREAST RAW RTC FROZEN FOIL - Raw turkey breast ready to cook- foil wrap

Normally cook at 275 in the smoker, usually to temp in 2 hours but I always allow 3 to be on the safe side. Pull them at 155 internal temp place in a pan and foil over them. They will continue to rise to 165 in 10-15 minutes. Have held them for 6 hours paned whole in the pits warmer and they stay very moist. only loss is the skin, pull before slicing. I check for seasoning and add if needed right before serving.

Hope this helps.
-olllllllo-
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12 16 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well having been raised by a butcher and a cook, owned a restaurant, ran many kitchens. my only advice comes more from the customers point of view.

please, please, please ensure that your food is kept hot. 140 degrees minimum. that is the health dept's way here. and not enough caterers make sure of it.

a common problem at many functions. we were at a wedding last year and let me tell ya it sucked. the hot food was luke warm at best and the cold food was too.

I wrap roasts in a couple layers of saran wrap to seal them, then foil, shiny side in to reflect the heat back in. then in towels and into a cooler. I've burnt my hands pulling pork or beef 6 hours later after holding this way. very moist and hot ready to go.

I've seen more problems with "professional" solutions like canbro hot boxes than I have with people who just plain give a crap. I think it is just the "guarantee" of good companies that lulls chefs and cooks into a false sense of security and belief.

good luck with the event, it sounds like a blast!!!
Quietman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12 16 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I will be looking into the RD Turkey breasts. There is not an RD store within two hours of our home base, but they are everywhere that we do businesses.
If you want areal experience, visit the Jersey City store.

As far as food safety and handling, my crew is trained and top notch. Holding at proper temp is no problem, multiple steam tables and other tools in the shed.

We cater events of this size on a regular basis. It's just part of the menu that is a new experience on that level. Going to do some test runs for sure on the product.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: