FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

best bbq in th hill country

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
halftimer
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07 16 9:48 pm    Post subject: best bbq in th hill country Reply with quote

I am meeting a Cajun friend in Fredericksburg in June and he wants me to take him on a BBQ tour what suggestions can you give me. Don't really want to make the drive to Lockhart . Thanks.
halftimer
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09 16 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not any good BBQ in the hill country???
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09 16 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been to TX let alone the Hill Country, but the list of want to visit places include Franklins, Muellers Louie and John, Opies, Salt Lick, City Market, Blacks, Cooper's, Smitty's to name a few in no particular order.

Some day I'll cross a trip through TX off my bucket list, along with the Carolina's, Kansas, Mississippi, Louisiana, Kentucky, Tennessee etc.

I still work here!
halftimer
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09 16 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
Never been to TX let alone the Hill Country, but the list of want to visit places include Franklins, Muellers Louie and John, Opies, Salt Lick, City Market, Blacks, Cooper's, Smitty's to name a few in no particular order.

Some day I'll cross a trip through TX off my bucket list, along with the Carolina's, Kansas, Mississippi, Louisiana, Kentucky,
Tennessee etc.

I will look those up thanks
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10 16 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZ, A trip to Austin and you can hit most of those.

Halftime, so.many good "hidden" joints out that way it's hard to come up with one. Try looking at TX Monthly, they are pretty spot on- all EZ' s are on their top 50. I have been to several: Salt Lick, Franklin's, Stanley's (in Tyler) and all are amazing and TX Monthly rates them the same as I would (except I give Stanley's a 5).

I envy your trip, stuck in VA and F'burg,TX is just a bit down the road from where I call home. Ironic I live just outside of Fredericksburg VA now.

Hope you have a good trip.

Chris
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13 16 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are in Fredricksburg, then Coopers is 45 minutes north in Llano. You could go through there driving from Irving but it is the longest of the 3 routes my phone came up with. (only by a few minutes)

It would take about an Hour to get to Opie's. Very similar to Coopers, especially since he worked there.

1.5 hours puts you in Austin. There is a branch of Blacks here so you could save the extra 30-40 minutes it would take to get to Lockhart. There is also an offshoot of Blacks that was opened by the grandkids or something like that. Of course there is also a Coopers here.

Stiles switch would be my vote since it is good, has a much shorter line, AC and Beer.

Pretty sure TX Monthly listed a place in Kerville which is 30 minutes south from Fredricksburg.

Other than that couldn't say.
halftimer
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13 16 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody I guess I was more looking for the unknown hole in the wall places guess we just get out and ride around think there will be a big deal going on in Lockhart the weekend we are there will make the drive over there
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: