FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the best size splits to use?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15 16 9:08 am    Post subject: What is the best size splits to use? Reply with quote

The smoker I have on order is a LSG 24X36 horizontal offset with 24X24X22 firebox, what is the ideal size of splits to use? I will be using mostly pecan wood with mesquite mixed in for additional flavor. Thanks, Bill
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15 16 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't go bigger than a maximum of 16" long and 3" - 4" in diameter, the minimum I'd look to 12" long and 2" in diameter.

No matter what size the splits, the firebase, the amount of coals needed to maintain your cooking temperature will be what's important. Depending on the size of the cooker, it will need from a 12" x 6" x 1.5" - 2" to an 18" x 8" x 2.5" bed of coals, you'll need to run the cooker a few times to work it out.

Once you know the coal base size, you'll need to work on the fuel load to maintain the firebase.

So you'll need to see if you need to add 1 split, 2 splits or a chimney of lit charcoal, to keep the firebase within an inch in any direction, to do that you may need to add 2 splits, then check 40 - 45 minutes later, if not all the fuel has burned, add 1 split, if the firebase has shrunk add 2 and check again in 35 - 40 minutes. By working out how much fuel you need in how much time, you will get a handle on running the cooker.

Balancing the fuel load vs time vs intake and exhaust settings, will give you the knowledge you need for running an efficient clean burning cooker!

I still work here!
BillN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16 16 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy, thanks for the reply, I am in the process of splitting my pecan wood as it came in large splits to whole logs. Luckily some of it is ready to go and I have enough for 1/2 dozen or more cooks. I guess I will learn a lot during the seasoning process. Plan on cooking chickens the first few times out.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri May 06 16 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with SoEzzy 3" to 4" about 16" long is what I target for Bahama Mama now Little Mama likes splits about 12" long. So just figure out what your cooker likes and go with that size then you have one less thing to think about during your cook. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: