FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello,Helloo,Hellloooooo!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14 16 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat797 wrote:
Bottom line........he should have listened to Feldon when this was brought up numerous times before and Feldon offered to help.

If the bbq brethren site organized their threads like this, the smoke ring would already be dead. The problem there is that the whole thing is a general discussion and you have to use the search function to find anything. That said, there are a million topics a day over there.......So it isn't only the forum software over here.

I come by and visit occasionally, like today, but I rarely post any more.

While I agree with you k.a.m. regarding the wealth of information here, the picture thing is a gigantic PITA. I don't care how you make the size requirements, but trying to manage from a phone doesn't work very well. If there is a script that automatically resizes, then why not use it? Nobody that I know uses a camera to take pics of this stuff any more (and when I first joined, they did) so it has to be mobile friendly.

I personally like the forum setting, but it isn't worth the hassle today for this site. That's a shame, because most of everything I have learned about BBQ has been through folks I met here. I keep hearing about all this activity on Facebook, but I'm friends with the smokering and I don't see any posts there, so not sure how the priority has shifted.

Just my $.02, and it's worth exactly what you paid for it.......

Ed

I am not talking about thesmokering facebook page. There are groups on facebook for every kind of cooker and brand out there. There are also cast iron pages, frying pages just to mention a couple. Posting a cook on your facebook page takes about 2 seconds hell you can even video it without youtube.

As far as pics go I do use my phone but I email the pics to myself and load them from my computer in the evening or during the day. The world is evolving into "Real time events" and that is what social media does. I am not saying its the end game for everyone but for the most part it is easier than any forum out there and you do not need passwords and log in to see what your friends are doing all over the world. These things are what drag down a forum of a specific nature like cooking BBQ.
Take the competition section here and on several other forums I follow. They sit stagnate but yet there are hundreds of competition pages on facebook that keep moving non stop with activity.

My email is attached to Feldons calculator and I used to get a lot of emails asking for help but now it has slowed to nearly zero. It is because folks can grab their answers quickly on just about any cooker page on facebook. Ye s the calculator is still used but there are a lot of knowledgeable people out there to answer the questions on the fly and not wait for a reply from a forum or email.

As I have said my home is here but I know in my heart why forums are fading and it is a shame but it is true.

Hybrid Cooker
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14 16 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony wrote:
BigOrson wrote:
Nope. retracted comment.

B.O. - 'Splain, Por Favor. Laughing Wink

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy

Had bit too much wine and thought it would be better to post sober, so I deleted it. Nothing derogatory, just ill-worded.
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14 16 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigOrson wrote:
Tony wrote:
BigOrson wrote:
Nope. retracted comment.

B.O. - 'Splain, Por Favor. Laughing Wink

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy

Had bit too much wine and thought it would be better to post sober, so I deleted it. Nothing derogatory, just ill-worded.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink

Been There MORE than once, Brother! Carry On. Cool

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14 16 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:

I am not talking about thesmokering facebook page. There are groups on facebook for every kind of cooker and brand out there. There are also cast iron pages, frying pages just to mention a couple. Posting a cook on your facebook page takes about 2 seconds hell you can even video it without youtube.

......Well every time someone brings up this subject on here, there is always a mention that "Garry is busy with Facebook"....my comment is aimed at it sure isn't The Smoke Ring page.....I am a member of many of the BBQ social media pages and I can still make time to come here.

k.a.m. wrote:

As far as pics go I do use my phone but I email the pics to myself and load them from my computer in the evening or during the day.

This is ridiculous in today's environment, which I think is what has people's feathers ruffled. You shouldn't have to mess with sending them here or there to re-size.

k.a.m. wrote:

The world is evolving into "Real time events" and that is what social media does. I am not saying its the end game for everyone but for the most part it is easier than any forum out there and you do not need passwords and log in to see what your friends are doing all over the world.

Agreed, however, I participate on this forum and the BBQ Brethren via my phone too. Granted it's not as easy, but I can get it done...........

k.a.m. wrote:

As I have said my home is here but I know in my heart why forums are fading and it is a shame but it is true.

I get it; this is my home too (not as long as you, but for over 6 years)......but I would venture a guess that membership over at the BBQ Brethren has not fallen off nearly as much as here......Why is that (just asking....I think things are organized better over here)???

I don't want people to be defensive or think I'm being sarcastic........I love this site. The information here is invaluable. I hate to see it going downhill. Someone asked a question or made a note of the lack of activity here. I am giving an honest opinion and am engaging Garry.......I'm sorry if feelings get hurt. Sometimes the truth hurts......

......People want to post stuff and they want it to be easy to post pictures, and they don't want to get pestered about it.....If that's too much to ask, then people will push on.....I think we are seeing that happen. The thing that's going to suck is when we lose access to all the content here when the page goes away.
Weber 22.5 Performer
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14 16 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First let me say that I know nothing about forum software.
looked on phpbb faq. section and they have an auto pic resizer...are we saying that this version will not accept it? Soezzy does a great job on this site the way he has it set up.
I do not run ad-blocker and do click on them when I see something interesting or new. I do not use facebook or twitter, ect. When I came back from when my son died the pic size was changed, so I pulled up my boot straps and fixed every pic as I did not want to loose what I had to links, was it a pain yes, but worth it to me and maybe some one that would not click a link got to see a pic.

sorry for the rant but I love this site and would like it to carry on

Jack

Last edited by Maniac on Thu Apr 14 16 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Garry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14 16 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maniac wrote:
First let me say that I know nothing about forum software.
looked on phpbb faq. section and they have an auto pic resizer...are we saying that this version will not accept it?
Jack

The pic resize plugin only works on phpBB3. If that is the main concern then the best approach would be to upgrade the forum to phpBB3. That should preserve everything because they have an upgrade script. At this point I think that is the best approach. phpBB runs 65% of forums.

Take a look at Facebook to see the problem with easily sharing pictures and links. Nobody communicates on Facebook any more. My feed is filled with links to articles, most of them crazy right or left wing political propaganda, and memes. It's easy to just click share on a meme. It's easy to just click like on a post and keep on scrolling. Instead of a like button, if you like something someone posted on the forum, post a reply and TELL THEM. Say why you liked it or how it helped you. COMMUNICATE! That's what a forum is for. Not sharing meaningless, trivial BS and memes.

One reason the BBQ Brethren site is more active is because the competition cooks settled in there. This forum has never had a lot of activity in the competition BBQ section.

Some of you seem to think that The Smoke Ring website is just a forum. This site was here for 7 years before I even added a forum. The Smoke Ring was founded as a webring to link BBQ sites together and provide an easy way to browse and search them.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14 16 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat797 wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:

As far as pics go I do use my phone but I email the pics to myself and load them from my computer in the evening or during the day.

This is ridiculous in today's environment, which I think is what has people's feathers ruffled. You shouldn't have to mess with sending them here or there to re-size.

Not for some. Call me old school I guess but hey I still refuse to go to a plasma cutter or mig. The problem with a lot of the world is they want everything easy and at their finger tips with little to no work involved.
I could care less what size the pics are but I will say this if someone puts up pics that cover my screen and I have to scroll to view them because they are too lazy to re-size them then I am moving on anyway. Laughing

Hybrid Cooker
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14 16 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that MORE than some chatter occurred here relative to the subject matter that Rick picked up on when he first posted this topic. Wink

It would be Great for Me if these Forum Upgrades became a Reality. I am not Your everyday Geek...I do not own a Smart Phone..In fact I still have my LG "Star Trek" flip phone which has served me well for goin' on 20 years. ( Replaced twice after it got Broke! Shocked Laughing )

I ain't goin' on any rant-I ain't gonna' give reason why things
should or should not change-I will not criticize Others here for their opinions as this is the reason these Forums exist.

HOWEVER- I personally do not think it too much to ask that the Owner/Chief Administrator take into consideration the MANY LOYAL Forum Members here and ALL the Newcomers-
(And Still They Come! Cool ) that have not only contributed to
the Smoke Ring Forums but the Continuum with which We ALL Return.

I Do Not Belong to Any Other Barbecue Forums-I Do Not Follow Any Other Barbecue Forums- I Do Not Give a Fugh about any Other Barbecue Forums! Razz Laughing Wink

THIS is Where I came From and THIS is Where I will Stay until things change, one way or another. Very Happy

BTW...Ironically, Garry and Myself BOTH Registered joining this forum on the same date---February 5th, 2005.

To Each His Own...These Are My Thoughts and Opinions.Wink

YMMV...

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
Garry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14 16 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for The Smoke Ring Facebook page I have pretty much stopped posting to it. Facebook decides who gets to see your posts and limits who sees them so they can charge you money to expand the post to a larger audience. Our page has 10,185 followers but when I post something only a couple of hundred people see it.
Garry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14 16 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony wrote:
HOWEVER- I personally do not think it too much to ask that the Owner/Chief Administrator take into consideration the MANY LOYAL Forum Members here and ALL the Newcomers-

Tony Very Happy

The forum is here as a service to all who want to use it. It doesn't cost you anything. Many of us have made friendships through the forum. Many of you say you learned everything you know about barbecue from the forum. But somehow some of you have interpreted a free service that provides you amusement as some sort of obligation or debt owed to you.

I realize now that the idea of creating a whole new forum just to provide a couple of features is silly. It would destroy this forum and the community. The forum will be updated to phpBB3 and any useful features or plugins will be installed. If you want to use it, use it. If not there are a million other ways to waste your time on the Internet.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14 16 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garry wrote:
Tony wrote:

Tony Very Happy

The forum is here as a service to all who want to use it. It doesn't cost you anything. Many of us have made friendships through the forum. Many of you say you learned everything you know about barbecue from the forum. But somehow some of you have interpreted a free service that provides you amusement as some sort of obligation or debt owed to you.

I realize now that the idea of creating a whole new forum just to provide a couple of features is silly. It would destroy this forum and the community. The forum will be updated to phpBB3 and any useful features or plugins will be installed. If you want to use it, use it. If not there are a million other ways to waste your time on the Internet.
So the rings posts will stay intact and still be interactive?

Hybrid Cooker
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14 16 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garry wrote:
Tony wrote:

Tony Very Happy

WTF... Shocked Shocked Shocked

Thank You Garry for Providing For Us All of What It Was That
You Created!

Sayonara, Mister Wonderful! Twisted Evil
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14 16 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kam I think so, but not positive.

That should preserve everything because they have an upgrade script. At this point I think that is the best approach. phpBB runs 65% of forums.

the boss's word not mine.

phpbb has a lot of flexibility from what I read.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14 16 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maniac wrote:
kam I think so, but not positive.

That should preserve everything because they have an upgrade script. At this point I think that is the best approach. phpBB runs 65% of forums.

the boss's word not mine.

phpbb has a lot of flexibility from what I read.

Hybrid Cooker
Garry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14 16 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When phpBB3 was suggested months ago a lot of people whined about it. But sticking with phpBB is the best strategy to preserve the existing forum accounts and posts. After spending hours looking at other forums I came to this conclusion. I'm not going to make this forum read only. It will continue to be interactive.
suckaass
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14 16 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez. All we need is for Garry to show up, and people are posting like crazy. Rolling Eyes

I like it here. I like the way the forum is set up and broken into different topics.

If it is possible to fix it so we can post pics without having to jump through hoops, great. If doing that means that this becomes a "read only" site and we have to start over, no thanks. I'm happy to continue to use my current pic posting process. I'm not going anywhere.

It is unfortunate that people have left and that there has been a decline in activity. In the 5 years I've been a member, I've seen lots of people that have come and gone. Some come here for a year or so, post multiple times a day, and then suddenly, they're gone. Then there are those that have been here for years with thousands of posts that vanish. Why do people come and go? Social media? Don't want to hassle with posting pics? They find other interests? Life changing events? Only they know.

All I know is that I like it here, don't want to see anyone leave and I wish that some of the guys that used to be regulars would come back. Would fixing the picture problem or adding like buttons or any other creature comforts solve that? Who knows. But if it means losing what we have and starting over, it's not worth it to me.

Sounds like this phpBB3 is our best option to preserve what we love about this place and make it a little more convenient.
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14 16 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to be the first to say thanks for keeping it going and interactive Exclamation Exclamation

and here is the ultimate like 3.0 kam is going to draw

insert here. Exclamation
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14 16 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garry wrote:
When phpBB3 was suggested months ago a lot of people whined about it. But sticking with phpBB is the best strategy to preserve the existing forum accounts and posts. After spending hours looking at other forums I came to this conclusion. I'm not going to make this forum read only. It will continue to be interactive.

Hybrid Cooker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14 16 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maniac wrote:
I want to be the first to say thanks for keeping it going and interactive Exclamation Exclamation

and here is the ultimate like 3.0 kam is going to draw

insert here. Exclamation

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
I will get right on that Brother. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14 16 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For The Record:

Using this site's "Search" feature, I don't see any complaints about upgrading this site to phpBB3 when it was first announced this site would be upgraded to phpBB3 in 2009. Nada, zip, zero. But that was 2009 after all.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24027&highlight=phpbb3

Nor in 2011 - there were mixed opinions on the "New format" implemented at that time, but no complaints about a pending upgrade to phpBB3 - two and a half years later

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51893&highlight=phpbb3

feldon30 even told us he was looking forward to the upgrade to phpBB3 at that time

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51892&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=phpbb3&start=20

Not until 2015, six and half years after the pending upgrade to phpBB3 was first announced, was there any negative input for that exact change. We were even told to visit Ray Basso's BBQ Forum if we didn't like the age of the software here.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68004&highlight=phpbb3

And here we are right at just over another year later from then - characterized as "a few months ago" in this thread.

So over seven years now since it was first announced the site would be upgraded to phpBB3.

I'd like to copy CB's Sgt. Friday meme here, no "Like" buttons needed for the facts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: