FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Refrigeration requirement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29 16 9:28 am    Post subject: Refrigeration requirement Reply with quote

So I have made plenty of "jerky", but never bothered with cure. It never lasted more than a day and I kept it in the fridge and I I take it up to a min, of 160.

All that said, I want to mail some to my uncle. I read that cure is the best bet for non-fridge, but want to make sure that is right. I figure 2-3 days to get there by mail and I really don't want to dry ice this.

I normally smoke it down at 140.

I have a recipe that involves marinading the meat with teriyaki for a few days. Not sure how that effects cure.

My main goal is to get it where it is shelf stable for 3-5 days in an airtight bag/container.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30 16 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It mainly depends on the water activity in the meat,
Less water equals less chance of growing a harmful bacteria.

Cure is used to ward off Botulism while the meat is in the smoker which creates the perfect medium for C. Botulinum to grow (low or no oxygen with temps between 40-140), Cure also changes the texture of the meat.

there should be plenty of info in this topic to search, or go to mortons salt website and they have some recipes using tender-quick
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30 16 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I understand now, but since i smoke at 150-160 for about 4 hours and then pop it up to 180-200 for about an hour, lower it back down to 150 until I remember to go take it off normally about another hour (so at least 6 hours of smoking, sometimes 7 or 8 if I am cooking more on the rest of the pit) then I should be good without the cure. ziplock it when I am done and send it off to the Uncle.
Thanks,

BTW - i cut the strips down to about 1/8" thick, 1/4" at most.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31 16 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

castrovillecowboy wrote:
OK, I understand now, but since i smoke at 150-160 for about 4 hours and then pop it up to 180-200 for about an hour, lower it back down to 150 until I remember to go take it off normally about another hour (so at least 6 hours of smoking, sometimes 7 or 8 if I am cooking more on the rest of the pit) then I should be good without the cure. ziplock it when I am done and send it off to the Uncle.
Thanks,

BTW - i cut the strips down to about 1/8" thick, 1/4" at most.

There "Shouldn't" be a problem, but I am not personally comfortable doing anything like that without a cure,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: