FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thermometer for rotisserie cookers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
threeet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25 16 12:35 pm    Post subject: Thermometer for rotisserie cookers Reply with quote

My 2 buddies and I own an American Barbeque Systems Pit Boss rotisserie cooker because we like to throw big parties. We love it. I took delivery of a Heartland Cooker Backyard rotisserie yesterday because I wanted something a little smaller that I didn't have to share with my buddies. The craftmanship of it is great, the UPS delivery guy was really impressed, and spent most of the day getting it ready for its first big cook. Been thinking about outfitting both rigs with a digital thermometer. Any suggestions for a rotisserie? Thanks!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25 16 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a rotisserie you will be limited to chamber temps only as most have wired probes so monitoring meat will be a no go. There is a company trying to get a non wired wireless unit going but I am not sure when it will be available.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/meater-the-only-wire-free-smart-meat-thermometer#/

Hybrid Cooker
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25 16 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be opening a can of worms, but once you learn your cooker, for the most part you will be able to run to time, not temperature.

I don't mean to offer, that all briskets will be cooked to perfection in 8 hours and 14 minutes, because the variation in size, weight, fat content, humidity, external temperature, pit temperature, etc, you will find a time per lb for each meat that you cook as you learn your pit.

A lot of offsets run at about 1:15 hour/ lb to done, but UDS's run at 50 minutes/ lb for the same piece of meat. You will also learn that it takes X amount of time to reach the stall, or X + Y to get through the stall. I like to wrap bigger cuts before the stall, in order to collect the aux ju, on briskets on my UDS I know the time for in to reach 160° internal is about 5 hours, so I can keep an eye on the time and the temperature that the pit is running at, and know that meat will need panning and wrapping at about 5 hours, I don't actually have to check the temperature of the meat during those 5 hours. I also know it will take somewhere around 3 more hours to reach the point of tenderness that I like, but I will need to probe the meat for it's tenderness level, rather than for its temperature, even at the same temperature it still comes down to the tenderness rather than anything else.

So cook and keep an eye on the way meats gook in your pit, keep some notes as to whether the left, center or right of the racks makes any difference to the heat distribution, and cooking, and get practicing on a few different cuts, to build that knowledge base, that ribs cook in X, briskets in Z and Pork butts in Z amount of time, all other factors taken into account!

The words that I bolded, are the ones that we each need to find for each of our pits!

Wink Wink Wink

I still work here!
biker.chef
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25 16 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Meater looks pretty cool KAM.
Not a bad price ether.
They say "Estimated Deliver: March 2016"

Ya got to wonder though how well the electronics hold up to the heat.
It only has a temperature range of up to 212° for the meat.
And its bluetooth so the range will be limited.
EAT BACON
brutus1964
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26 16 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threeet, congratulations on your cooker. I have a 36x48 Heartland Rotisserie that I bought about 2 years ago. I agree with SoEzzy in the fact that learning the cooker and how different meats cook will be a big help in determining cook time. I cook pork butts and ribs in mine more than anything else and when I cook butts a always cook at least a case (Cool at a time. I don't even open the door to look until I have cooked at least 6 hours. If I cook ribs I let them go 2-3 hours before looking at them and wrapping. I usually run my cooker with my temp gauge on the front running around 275-300. Keep in mind that when the racks are rotating the temps at the bottom are lower than when they are at the top and the thermometer is above center so on my cooker the average temp is about 25 degrees less than my gauge. I had a good feel for mine after a couple of cooks and past cooking experience in general so the cooking times will be similar to that of other cookers if you are cooking at this same temps. I hope this helps. YMMV

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"- Henry Ford
threeet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26 16 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. With the pit boss we have a really good feel on cooking temps and times. With experience I will get the feel on my new Heartland. As you know, lots of people swear by their digital thermometer and swear they can't live without it. I always am looking for new gear to make my life easier, but I know what usually works best is old school experience. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Tech-Talk All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: