FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

kielbasi help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
akvk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01 16 11:18 am    Post subject: kielbasi help Reply with quote

i bought a master built smoker and set up a rig to hang kielbasi links. i was using a homemade smoker that burned wood and i was getting beautiful sausage with a nice mahogany hue. the first time yay i tried the electric smoker i got great tasting meat but there was no color. it looked terrible. i used the same apple wood, even though less than before, and all the temp ranges that i used in the wood burner. everything that i read seems to give the problem as the links may not have been dry enough for the smoke to do its job. any thoughts as to a remedy/ i tried twice and the second time i made sure that the vent was wide open. heat at 100 for 1 hour plus some. thanks for any help/
akvk
brutus1964
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02 16 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never used an electric smoker but it sounds like it isnt generating enough smoke. You may need to use several small pieces for your wood source so that you can get more area smoking. You may want to experiment with the amount of wood and sizes but if you are only heating to 100 you may not be getting hot enough for long enough to generate smoke.

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"- Henry Ford
bkleinsmid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05 16 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to what Brutus said..........I start my smoker at about 130 for about an hour. Then add my wood and bump it to 140 for about two hours......then to 160 for about two hours.....roughly 3 to 4 hours with smoke.
Along with what ever wood I'm using, I add cherry for a little darker color. Hope this helps.......

Brad
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08 16 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

akvk,

I have the Masterbuilt 40" electric smoker dedicated for sausage only. Do yourself a favor and buy an Amaz'n pellet smoker, either the tray or tube and use it in your electric instead of the dumb chip tray. At the low temperatures required for sausage, you will not get enough smoldering happening with the chips.......As an aside, watch out, cause my smoker runs a lot hotter than the set temp.....I don't want you to accidentally fat out your links! Shocked

Works great for me, and I also use it as a cold smoking cabinet for cheese and stuff without using the electric element.

Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: