FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Charge for cooking Brisket

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CraigE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21 15 10:33 am    Post subject: Charge for cooking Brisket Reply with quote

I'm sorry, that this has already been answered somewhere, but I did a search several ways and was unable to locate any posts related.

I've been asked to cook a few briskets for sine friends and not sure what to charge for them. I'm not going to charge them full price, but to get some idea.

Meadowcreek TS250 w/Insulated firebox
Modified OK Joe's Highland Smoker
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22 15 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look at it this way: It costs me just about as much to cook 20 briskets as it does to cook 2....maybe a couple more logs for a full smoker overall....If I am cooking anyhow, I dont think I've ever charged under $20 for anything, but that was while doing another cook. The liability is still on you no matter how good a friend Confused
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
CraigE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22 15 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's clear! I know I'm going to spend 12-16 hours cooking it, but just couldn't figure out a reasonable price. I know when we get up and running, how much per pound, but these are friends.

kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22 15 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CraigE wrote:
That's clear! I know I'm going to spend 12-16 hours cooking it, but just couldn't figure out a reasonable price. I know when we get up and running, how much per pound, but these are friends.

Friends or not, you have to make money, otherwise you have friends buying it for their friends, friends telling there friends "go talk to him, he did my brisket for next to nothing"

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
CraigE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22 15 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that aspect.

Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23 15 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we do if someone wants us to cook an item that is from a grocery store, or some other commercial provider, no game meats or uninspected items allowed.

As long as the pit is already going, and I have a free spot, we do no charge, if they offer to tip, or pay, I ask that they put it in the servers tip jar.

Now if I need to fire the pit specifically for them and on a closed day, (game meats or some other product not from a licensed purveyor) they get charged for my time and fuel usage.

We do a ton of fish (literally) for customers each year that they caught on the Great Lakes, they get charged $0.50/LB for me to cure and smoke it, because I can have nothing else in the pit with it, and I must do it on a closed day so there is no intermingling of products.

In your case, whats losing a leisure day worth to you?
I value my leisure time at $85.00/Hour, but would never charge that unless it is someone I do not know, and they annoy me;
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24 15 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We charge a buck a pound to squeeze something in. We usually have room after the ribs are out while the butts are finishing.
Smokin' Hawg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05 16 3:39 am    Post subject: Charging Reply with quote

We normally charge a percentage on the weight so it would be 2% x weight = charge. It works out fine for me covers my cost and time.
CraigE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12 16 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thank y'all. I like the idea of adding their product to my pit if I'm already running it. It could help building a good reputation but doing it all the time would create a bad president.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: