FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how do you tell how good a weld is?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23 15 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A destructive test is exactly what it says, you test the piece until it fails or is destroyed... a bit like my kids driving a car!

When manufacturers are going to build a 1,000 or a 1,000,000 of an item, they often test a sample to destruction, to be able to put a guarantee or warranty on the item, they need to know what damage people cat do and what needs to be done to do a certain amount of damage, and the only way to get that information is through destructive testing.

I still work here!
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23 15 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounded like what it was, just seemed too straightforward a name.
I think I will go with doing the best I can and then adding angle to the axle too. Not that I will ever put this on the road, I still have to figure out how I will turn this "trailer", I haven't added a tongue yet.
Step one to mobility of this pit is to get it off the blocks it is now on. Step two - steering it (worst case, I will move it with the tractor)
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23 15 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few pics of the new stand/wheels

Under demo (it was 26" to wide to fit on my utility trailer):

tack welds and grind smooth:

new width:

castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23 15 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be the platform to hold the new pit. Currently it has 10" legs sitting on blocks, this may be a little more mobile. I have to complete the welds, fix the cross member then make the 2" angle runners for affixing the pit to the platform.

Steering will be a challenge, I guess I could try to make a tongue to hook to the truck or tractor. If I do, I want to make it removable. Anyone think it would work if I took angle iron and run it from the corners to a hitch and connect at the corners with pins? Maybe use pipe as a connector point with a smaller pipe fitting into the mounted pipe. Then is could be lifted out when not in use.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23 15 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For strength do not grind your welds down leave the cap on the axle.

Hybrid Cooker
gandrfab
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23 15 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly what it sounds like.
I was 6G certified (stick welding a pipe at a 45 degree angle)

We would weld the pipe then cut the pipe length wise into 2" or so wide pieces that would then get put in a press and bent till they cracked.
To pass the test they had to not crack.

So many people say welding is easy.
It is for the most part, have those same people get a welding certifications, that's a game changer for the less experienced.
gandrfab
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23 15 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops! didn't see page 2
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30 15 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the conglomeration is on the wheels.

KAM:

For strength do not grind your welds down leave the cap on the axle.

So, took your advice, left them capped and just out of curiosity sake, I welded the same parts (left over pieces) and beat them a bit with a 10 lb. sledge, propped it up and put a ramp on it and drove the truck front tire up on it - i think it will be fine. That weld didn't give, so I think the one on the axles should be good.
wango
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02 16 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure looks stout cowboy! I'm not a trailer builder but I have to believe a tandem axle that narrow is going to turn like a biatch. If it were me, I think I would want a pretty heavy duty tongue. If you're concerned about the tongue being in your way while cooking or while storing the cooker you could make a folding tongue.

This is a link to a company that makes a kit. Not much to it, you could make it yourself

https://jet.com/product/detail/a93cce518c5444468bdca795ad0c4f24?
castrovillecowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03 16 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wango wrote:
It sure looks stout cowboy! I'm not a trailer builder but I have to believe a tandem axle that narrow is going to turn like a biatch. If it were me, I think I would want a pretty heavy duty tongue. If you're concerned about the tongue being in your way while cooking or while storing the cooker you could make a folding tongue.

This is a link to a company that makes a kit. Not much to it, you could make it yourself

https://jet.com/product/detail/a93cce518c5444468bdca795ad0c4f24?

oh it is, I'm thinking a removable tongue (again, just around the property, not for road use).

I was thinking of using 2" pipe mounted to the frame (one each front corner), a 1 1/2" pipe that would drop into the 2". The 1 1/2" pieces would be the bottom of the tongue. Just a basic triangle shape with a ball hitch at the front point, with the 1.5" in the two back corners to drop into the 2" - maybe add a pin in the bottom of the 1.5s to make sure they jump out .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: