FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rotisserie smoker- loaded or empty when traveling?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pennell17

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15 15 10:59 am    Post subject: rotisserie smoker- loaded or empty when traveling? Reply with quote

This is the first of what will be many more questions in the months to come. I will be cooking on a Southern Pride spk-280.I'm looking for some advice on moving to and from a location in the middle of a cook. I'm trying to figure out the logistics of a daily operation if my smoker needs to be empty or not for transportation.
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24 15 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO!!, you can not drive around with a loaded 280. If your meat isn't tied down it will be on the bottom of the pit! Even when driving around with it empty the shelves will bounce off if the don't have clips. Cook on site or transport your meat in thermos and put back in to keep hot or finish the cook.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25 15 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reply only sorta-kinda applies!!
I do not own a rotisserie type cooker!!
THAT being said - when getting your trailer, I HIGHLY do NOT recommend going way overkill on the weight rating!!!!
I have seen more damage done all around from guys building / buying trailers WAY over-rated for the weight they will have on / in said trailer!! Chit will bounce, break etc. on every bump with a too heavy spring setup etc!!
I have seen fridges go from the back to the front of rigs that were rated for thousands of pounds more than ever put in them!
I personally am slightly over weight rating on average, have a stick burner, and travel safely full to the hilt. I have left my phone outside and drove 20 miles to find it exactly where I left it! An under loaded rig will bounce like a super ball.
I have replaced my axles after 5 years of abuse, but rarely have found so much as a fork out of place after traveling hundreds of miles! She rides like glass.
Just food for thought!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
pennell17

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29 15 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely will plan accordingly on my cook times and traveling. I did not know about the rack clips,Thanks Qfanatic01. Mr.Tony,thanks for your advice, My trailer is already built.Of course I went heavy on the springs.I'll take that into consideration when securing my equipment.
az mike
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13 16 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good sized baffled water tank can sure help with added weight. I had a 60 gallon tank centered low over my axles, just limit or add water depending on needs. The centered weight helped dampen the ride. I always use weight bars with bumper pulled trailers, they fix sway but can bounce a lot if you don't have enough pulled weight.

This is the same concept as on fishing boats, tank down when loading fish.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: