FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoking wet-brined and spatchcocked turkeys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAWard74

PostPosted: Nov 25 2015    Post subject: Smoking wet-brined and spatchcocked turkeys Reply with quote

I'll be smoking a couple turkeys in my Masterbuilt propane smoker on Thursday. Tonight, I am wet-brining them. There are two things I am seeking guidance on:

1. Brine whole or spatchcocked? I can't decide whether to brine the birds whole or go ahead and spatchcock them for the brine. After the brine, I do plan to apply a rub. Anyone have advice on this?

2. I'm trying to get a sense of how long they should be in the smoker on Thursday. (internal temp, of course) I've read so many different things. I plan to smoke them at around 325. One thing I read said this would only take 2-3 hours, but said it depended on if they were brined or not. Others say 6-10 hours! Quite a difference. I need to have a general idea so I can time it correctly. Anyone got experience and advice on this? Thanks in advance!
jar
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Nov 25 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size birds are you smoking ?
suckaass
BBQ Pro

1. I'd say it depends on the container you're going to brine them in. I don't think it makes any difference you brine them whole or spatchcocked as long as the meat is fully submerged in the brine.

After the brine, apply your favorite rub. Just make sure to get it under the skin too

2. I cook my brined turkeys whole on my offset at around 325, and it usually takes about 15 min./ lb. Figure another hour on top of that for time lost due to checking/ basting and for allowing time to rest when it comes off the pit. Cook times may differ for a spatchcocked bird, but I'm not sure since I don't usually cook em that way.

Good luck and have fun Very Happy
Pete Mazz
BBQ Fan

I would spatchcock them while trimming. Use the backbone in your gravy pot.

3-4 hours should be plenty for a medium sized bird.

Try my Smoker Builder Calculators
fish&q
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Nov 26 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

A spatchcock bird will cook a lot faster than a whole bird will
Meadow Creek chicken cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: