FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoke cube

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peterfitz

PostPosted: Nov 19 2008    Post subject: Smoke cube Reply with quote

Newbie here!
I need help from the experts!..

I just bought a "SmokeCube' from Walmart. This model is big enoug to roast a 15 lb turkey. Heat is from 4 triangular columns - one in each corner of the unit.

The instructions are inadequate and I have got no response so far from the company website on my queries. If anyone out there is familiar with this unit and can advise me how to cook a turkey in it, I'd sure appreciate it.

It says to put 7 briquettes in each column and then transfer to the cube when 70 covered in ash. Top up with charcoal as required. Well, do you then fill the columns to the top and replenish as required or keep it with just enough to maintain temperature?

There is no talk of pre heating, or to what temperature, or how to measure the temperature or for that matter the use of the side vents. The only guide supplied is that a turkey should take about 3.5 hrs to cook to the stated internal temperature.

Pleae advise! and if you can provide or point to a basic marinade recepie all the better!

Thanks

Peter
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Nov 19 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen one of these. Can you post some pictures?

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
Big Tom
BBQ Super Pro

Welcome to the Smoke Ring Peter!

I saw one of these at a Wally World store this weekend.

To me they look more like a charcoal fired roaster for a turkey instead of a smoker.

If the unit has air vents to help control the temperature, you should be able to just top the columns up with charcoal and the air will regulate the temperature.

Lots of good poultry rubs/recipes here on the site.
NaughtyNurse
BBQ Super Pro

What Big Tom said. Alas I can't help any with the instructions on the roaster, however I do recommend you do a search on turkey brine as you can make some mighty tasty bird that way Very Happy
KCBS CBJ
FEC-100, FE/PG1000, 22" WSM, Good-One Rodeo, Big Steel Keg
J0K3R-X
BBQ Fan

Hey Peter, I saw one of those so called "SmokeCubes" at Walmart like you have. I was thinkin bout gettin one since it was $49.95 but then I thought about it and that little voice inside my head said walk away! I already have 5 different smokers and 3 of them hardly ever get used as it is. I find myself just re-inventing and modifying the ones I have which kinda satisfies my insashable hunger for something new and keeps me from buyin others. I thought that thing looked interesting though! I was looking for it on the Walmart website but can't find it? What is the actual name of the thing and who makes it, mybe post a link to the url for the company website so we can have a look? I didn't pay that much attention to it probably due to my ADHD to remember the details when I saw it.
Peterfitz

mds2 wrote:
I've never seen one of these. Can you post some pictures?

Thanks to all for replies. I'll post a pic as soon as I assemble it.

It sure looks more of a roaster than smoker. I'll post again in a day or two with pics.

peter
J0K3R-X
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Nov 20 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Peter, I can tell you how hot you should have the cube.

It is gonna be about the same as oven roasting or smoking which would be 325F to 350F
I would go with 350F myself.

Approximate Roasting Times for Turkey at 325 F
8-12 lbs. 2-3 Hours
12-14 lbs. 3-3 Hours
14-18 lbs. 3-4 Hours
18-20 lbs. 4-4 Hours
20-24 lbs. 4-5 Hours

Always use a food thermometer or a digital remote thermometer with probe to check the internal temperature of turkey.

Turkey is safely cooked when the internal temperature is at least 165 F when checked with a food thermometer. Check the internal temperature (even if the turkey has a pop-up indicator) in the innermost part of the thigh and wing as well as in the thickest part of the breast. It is perfectly safe to cook the turkey to a higher temperature for taste or texture preferences.

Total cooking time will be increased 10 minutes or more each time lid is lifted.
Husker_Bob

PostPosted: Jul 08 2009    Post subject: The Cube Reply with quote

I have a "cube" and just love it when we tailgating! Mine came with no instructions so there were many trials and errors before I got the hang of it. I found that it is best to start your coals in a "chimney" then add them to each column 3/4 full when the coals are 60-70% ashed. Top off each column with chunks of hickory or your favorite wood. Use a 3lb. coffee can 1/4 - 1/2 filled with water or beer and set it at the bottom of the basket. Cover with foil and poke some holes through it with a fork. This is optional, but definitely helps keep the meat from drying out. Then set your meat on top of the can and close the lid. IMPORTANT!: Since the "cube" has no thermometer, get yourself one and rig it so you can monitor the temp. You can regulate temp by adjusting your 2 side and top vents.

Good Luck & GO HUSKERS! Very Happy
a_cmc_2b

PostPosted: Nov 26 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be trying one of these out later today. Like others have said it appears to be a more like a vertical roaster/broiler that uses charcoal and my 1st thought was it was a charcoal fired oil less fryer. My step dad bought this one in unused condition off of Craigslist and this will be it's 1st run. I actually found this thread searching for instructions for it even though it looks simple enough to use... If my turkey turns out ok in it, I'll be trying a shoulder in it soon...

I'll let y'all know how my 1st attempt with it goes...

Happy Thanksgiving Y'all from Southern Mississippi!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: