FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Made some mods to the charcoal basket today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Nov 25 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're safe missionsusmc.

Mike, having a negative pressure there assures you have good draft so hot gases & smoke aren't escaping somewhere from your firebox besides the FB to CC opening. No evidence at all that's what's happening.

However having the grease drain wide open may ingest significant ambient tramp air diluting your hot gas - like the way I had to make a restriction in the grease drain of my patio offset with a drilled cork.I don't think this is your issue either unless you're running the drain valve wide open while cooking (I'm not under the impression you do this).

Keep in mind pinching the exhaust with a piece of bar is like throttling with a gate valve instead of a ball or globe or needle valve - you have to really pinch to see much effect, and once you do, it's real sensitive => small moves yield large process changes in that zone.

I'm back to making the flow path more tortuous through the cook chamber, but think perforated disk & donuts are the way to go - but that's for another day / season.

My patio offset with diffuser plate & internal exhaust extension provides a very tortuous path for hot gas & smoke, and I do get some reverse draft especially while all the steel is still coming up to temperature. I don't want to go that far on your design, but in that direction someday.

P.S. - those lump chunks in your basket blow away anything I've ever found in a bag of Royal Oak lump. That Nature Glo looks great!
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Nov 25 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

missionsusmc wrote:
Oh geeze. What did I do? Now your wife is going to blame me for you spending HER money on a cutting torch to operate on "that contraption out back." Because we all know it doesn't matter whose name is on the bank account. Shocked Laughing

You know I have to have a fall guy and you be it. "Gee Honey, the guy up on the Smoke Ring forum says I got to have this to fix the problem".

necron 99 wrote:
unless you're running the drain valve wide open while cooking
Just for the record I don't do that.

Keep in mind pinching the exhaust with a piece of bar is like throttling with a gate valve instead of a ball or globe or needle valve
Yeah, it was a crude way of doing it but without having to fab up something extravagant or weld anything to the cooker.

I'm back to making the flow path more tortuous through the cook chamber, but think perforated disk & donuts are the way to go - but that's for another day / season.
I have an idea on how to make a nice slanted doughnut. If I can score a 24" disc harrow blade (aka tractor disc) I can cut a ring out of it and what's left of the bowl could be made into another disco (wok). Which way would you suggest positioning the ring... more restriction to air flow or less restriction?

I got the new gasketing installed for the firebox door and the door seems to seat a bit tighter now. I'm going to do a burn this afternoon to set the gasket sealant,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: