FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Made some mods to the charcoal basket today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Nov 20 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokin Mike wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:
I know a Chinese fella that can hook you up with a computer fan and some batteries to help control your burn. Wink Razz Laughing Very Happy

Oh, man... you gonna open up that can of worms right here???

So far I've been able to keep my dog out of that fight

I guess it's about time for Tony and Bugs to chime in.

Now That You Have Mentioned It Brother...I Guess It Might Just be That Time, Eh? Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink

Although, I Need some Time to Load My Guns...I'll Defer to Bugs For Awhile. Wink

Awright, Jeff...You're Up Brother! Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink

Best Regards,

Tony Laughing
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

Tony wrote:
Smokin Mike wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:
I know a Chinese fella that can hook you up with a computer fan and some batteries to help control your burn. Wink Razz Laughing Very Happy

Now That You Have Mentioned It Brother...I Guess It Might Just be That Time, Eh? Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink

Although, I Need some Time to Load My Guns...I'll Defer to Bugs For Awhile. Wink

Best Regards,

Tony Laughing

mike he will ship it free if you give POSITIVE reviews .

The other ? is did he answer KAM yet?
missionsusmc
BBQ Pro

I'm all for doing things quick and cheap. Maybe get 2 water heater blankets and put them together. The ones we have at work are for 40 and 50 gal. Your 80 might not fit inside. Kinda like going to the beach or the water park and seeing women who shouldn't be wearing bikinis wearing one anyway. Shocked Laughing You can still get from NY to LA in a 327 or a soccer mom van. Your wallet might be smaller if you drive a 327 though. Very Happy I drive a 4 banger mazda pickup. It might not even make that trip.

Mary had a little lamb, a little brisket, a little ribs, and boy she was full!!!
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

missionsusmc wrote:
Kinda like going to the beach or the water park and seeing women who shouldn't be wearing bikinis wearing one anyway. Shocked Laughing

That's nothin' compared to going to European affiliated islands and seeing both men & women wearing what they wear, and they may only wear half or less of a beachwear outfit!

Yep, there goes granny, with grandpa in his speedo following along . . . Twisted Evil
Pete Mazz
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Nov 21 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

after looking at your build thread, I noticed the size of your exhaust stack. Seems awfully big for a vertical. Do you have a way to choke it off?

Try my Smoker Builder Calculators
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

Pete Mazz wrote:
after looking at your build thread, I noticed the size of your exhaust stack. Seems awfully big for a vertical. Do you have a way to choke it off?

Pete, the exhaust pipe is 4" tubing and the ID is about 3-3/4" with a length of 8". Yeah, I could choke it off a bit. What would you recommend?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

Maniac wrote:
Tony wrote:
Smokin Mike wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:

Best Regards,

Tony Laughing

mike he will ship it free if you give POSITIVE reviews .

The other ? is did he answer KAM yet?

^^^^^
No not yet. Confused Rolling Eyes

So Mike when starting with a slow burn the charcoal runs away as in a fast burn is this what is happening?

Hybrid Cooker
Pete Mazz
BBQ Fan

Smokin Mike wrote:
Pete Mazz wrote:

Pete, the exhaust pipe is 4" tubing and the ID is about 3-3/4" with a length of 8". Yeah, I could choke it off a bit. What would you recommend?

My vertical only has about 6 sq in and yours works out to almost 12. I rarely run mine wide open so maybe 3 or 4 sq in? It's not like you need a lot of draw like an offset needs.

Another way to spread the heat and smoke is to stagger the food on your racks so the food actually creates a baffle of sorts instead of center loading everything.

Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

k.a.m. wrote:
So Mike when starting with a slow burn the charcoal runs away as in a fast burn is this what is happening?

No, not at all. Once I get the charcoal going and set the air inlet valves, I'm looking for a heat stack temperature of around 700° - 750 and that puts the cooker pretty much dead on at 225. Once it's locked in it'll cruise for a good 2-1/2 hours then I start seeing the stack temperature drop, which is an indicator that it's time to refuel. That's normal stuff and about the same experience that I get with my offset. The issue is that it takes two overloaded chimneys of coal to get replenished and back on track and by the end of a 12 hour cook I'm getting into a third 20lb. bag of charcoal. The charcoal basket holds about a cubic foot and I initially load it to the gills when starting off. Anyway, temperature control is good... it's the fuel consumption that hurts me.

Pete, my tank is 80 gallons... what's the volume of your cooker? I can make a cap and reduce the exhaust outlet a bit to see if it helps. That's something easy to try. I'm planning on doing some ribs and chicken this weekend so I can experiment with it a bit.

Pete Mazz wrote:
Another way to spread the heat and smoke is to stagger the food on your racks so the food actually creates a baffle of sorts instead of center loading everything.

I do that as much as I can knowing that I need to get air flow around everything that's in there.
Pete Mazz
BBQ Fan

Mine works out to about 74 gallons. It sounds like your heat is going straight up and out.

Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

Pete Mazz wrote:
Mine works out to about 74 gallons. It sounds like your heat is going straight up and out.

I guess we'll know more this weekend when I throttle down the exhaust a little. I haven't taken any temperature measurements of the exhaust but I do know I can stick my hand in the flow and it's not hot enough to make you flinch.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

If you run it as we discussed Mike I would not throttle back the exhaust just choke the intake and watch it.

Hybrid Cooker
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

k.a.m. wrote:
If you run it as we discussed Mike I would not throttle back the exhaust just choke the intake and watch it.

Will do!!! Thanks for taking the time to ponder over this with me.

For the benefit of those that don't know what the heck we're talking about, Kevin gave me a suggestion that never entered my mind. I'm going to give it a spin this weekend and hopefully I'll be able to post up the results, good or bad.
Pete Mazz
BBQ Fan

It'll be a balancing act, that's for sure. Keep in mind, the exhaust controls the speed of the air moving thru the smoker. As you choke off the intakes, w/o choking off the exhaust, the inrush thru them will be faster.

Kind of like cooking in your oven with the door open some.

Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

Pete, I hear what you're saying and I understand. I'm going to rig up the exhaust choke but I'm going to wait a bit before I try it. I need to do only one thing at a time here so I can monitor the cause and affect. If Kevin's suggestion changes the dynamic then I can then start fine tuning if needed. I'm going to be fabbing up this stuff this morning and hopefully I can do a test burn this afternoon, tomorrow at the latest. Thanks!
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Nov 22 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokin Mike wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:

Okay-Just Got back in Town.

Best I can do on short notice...

Maybe Bugs can Chime in with some of His Inimitable Wit!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

I made up a smaller diameter heat shield / grease catch, although this version won't be doing much grease catching.

The original one was 21" diameter and the new one is 11" diameter... a hair over twice the heat stack diameter. It's a 24" diameter tank so originally I had about an 1-1/2 perimeter to allow the hot air to pass through and now there's about 6-1/2".

I loaded up the basket about 1/2 way with unlit charcoal then fired up two chimneys, dumped them into the basket and started warming the cooker up. She came up to temperature real fast and I had some overshoot. Once I got things settled down I thought things were looking promising. I was running a heat stack temperature of about 550°, that's 150° less than before and the cooker temps were around 250°. That's where she seemed to want to be. The other thing is I had two air inlet valves completely closed and the third was wide open.

So I'm letting it cruise along for an hour or so then the temperature started climbing. I suppose the unlit charcoal was catching up or whatever. I throttled down the air inlet valve and got it stabilized then around 2-1/2 hours into the run the temperature started dropping. I opened the firebox and looked at the charcoal and it was down to about 15% capacity. I guess the short version of all this is the smaller heat deflector didn't really buy me anything as far as fuel longevity is concerned and if anything my temperatures from the outside perimeter to center grate seemed to be in more deviation prior to the change.

At this point I decided to refuel and throw some ribs into the cooker, this time using some hickory chunks in the mix. I got things stable but it's cooling off outside and I'm having to jack open the air supply a bit to keep up the temperature. Pete, I took a piece of flat bar and covered about 2/3's of the exhaust stack and that seemed to make temperatures drop off. I re-stabilized and covered about 1/2 of the stack and honestly I can't see any difference with it or without it. I'm leaving the bar on there for this run to see if it does anything with regards to fuel consumption.

I don't know fellows... maybe this cooker is supposed to use this much fuel. It is over twice the size of my offset and it uses twice the charcoal.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

Tony wrote:

Okay-Just Got back in Town.

Best I can do on short notice...

Maybe Bugs can Chime in with some of His Inimitable Wit!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy

Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

Mike 3 days till Thanksgiving relax and enjoy Exclamation tuneups can happen after T day Wink
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

Maniac wrote:
Mike 3 days till Thanksgiving relax and enjoy Exclamation tuneups can happen after T day Wink

I'm not stressing out over this or anything like that. I just had some time this weekend to fool around with some of the minor tweaks that could be tried. I figured as long as I got everybody's interest I might as well give some of this stuff a shot. If I make any major changes it will be after Thanksgiving. Actually, when I created this topic I had no intentions of fixing the fuel consumption problem... I had pretty much resigned myself to the fact it uses a lot of fuel. Then missionsusmc chimed in with his question about it and the ball started rolling.

I got one other thing to try this afternoon to see how things go. I'll post up the results around 6:00 or 7:00 EST this evening.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: