FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 


Made some mods to the charcoal basket today
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Posts: 3166
Location: Winston-Salem, NC

PostPosted: Nov 16 2015    Post subject: Made some mods to the charcoal basket today Reply with quote

I've been wanting to make a catch for the charcoal basket for a while now and with the upcoming Thanksgiving cook I decided to get 'r done.

Welded a bar between the rails.




Put a couple of clips on the basket. Originally it was one solid piece but it was running into the back air inlet pipe so I took out the mid section to allow clearance.




And there she is sitting in position. I also put a deflector plate below the thermometer to protect it when the basket is pulled out with hot coals in it.



This is really going to make my life better not having to deal with pulling the whole basket out when it's time to re-fuel.
_________________
My current cookers: 80 gallon vertical tank
The Ultimate New Braunfels Makeover
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Flyingj
BBQ Fan


Joined: 20 Jun 2014
Posts: 274
Location: North Texas

PostPosted: Nov 16 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's ingenious Smokin Mike. I can see where that will come in handy. That's really thinking outside (and inside) the box. Laughing
_________________
250 Gallon Trailer Build
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 08 Feb 2010
Posts: 3151
Location: Springfield MO

PostPosted: Nov 16 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice add on for sure Mike Very Happy
_________________
X2 Finished Build
Disco Time
Fire Pit
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Posts: 3166
Location: Winston-Salem, NC

PostPosted: Nov 16 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Flyingj. I can't take the credit for the idea though. I'm pretty sure it was k.a.m. that hooked me up with that idea for using the clips.

Thanks Troy. Good to see you out and about. Very Happy
_________________
My current cookers: 80 gallon vertical tank
The Ultimate New Braunfels Makeover
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star


Joined: 12 Dec 2007
Posts: 26019
Location: Southeast Texas.

PostPosted: Nov 17 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Mod Mike. Very Happy That will work Great. Very Happy
You should've put an upside down eyebrow on the therm that would have looked too cool. Razz Very Happy Laughing
_________________
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

Hybrid Cooker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Posts: 3166
Location: Winston-Salem, NC

PostPosted: Nov 17 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
You should've put an upside down eyebrow on the therm that would have looked too cool. Razz Very Happy Laughing


Oh yeah! Eyebrows is cool!!! Why didn't I think of that?
Twisted Evil Wink Wink Wink
_________________
My current cookers: 80 gallon vertical tank
The Ultimate New Braunfels Makeover
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
wango
BBQ Fan


Joined: 17 Feb 2012
Posts: 149
Location: Michigan

PostPosted: Nov 17 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great Mike!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Posts: 3166
Location: Winston-Salem, NC

PostPosted: Nov 19 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks wango! Very Happy
_________________
My current cookers: 80 gallon vertical tank
The Ultimate New Braunfels Makeover
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
missionsusmc
BBQ Pro


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 633
Location: Rogersville, TN

PostPosted: Nov 19 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever get longer burn times on a load of fuel, or is it still eating charcoal?
_________________
"Never trust a skinny cook."
"Real men pass gas and use hickory."
"Happiness is...a belt-fed weapon."

Mary had a little lamb, a little brisket, a little ribs, and boy she was full!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Posts: 3166
Location: Winston-Salem, NC

PostPosted: Nov 19 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

missionsusmc, This cooker is a fuel hog. I'm pretty disappointed that it turned out that way because my whole intention was to have this thing run like a UDS. I'm having to chuck two chimneys worth of coals in there every 2-1/2 to 3 hours. I've been toying with the idea of putting a charcoal basket in the tank to see what it does. I'd have to sacrifice the lower cooking grate if I did that but it would then be more UDS like. I will say that I'm pleased with how well it holds temperature and I've gotten some pretty good results in the food it turns out.
_________________
My current cookers: 80 gallon vertical tank
The Ultimate New Braunfels Makeover
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 04 Aug 2007
Posts: 2594
Location: San Antonio, TX

PostPosted: Nov 19 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great gettin' around to a "one of these days ..." mods one day! Wink

I'm at a loss on why it's such a fuel hog as well. If it wasn't you might not have made the charcoal basket mods though.

Maybe one of these days you can try some rough trials of adding exterior insulation with some simple foil back stuff and baling wire; my idea is that would let you experiment with different thicknesses while still having reasonably easy access to the cook chamber by untwisting the wire as needed.

I also have some ideas on internal baffle experiments you could try without making major mods. A disc & donut tray design adapted to your cooker. You have the first disc in place already.
_________________
Let's hope SoEzzy can ditch his heavy hand on photos in 2016!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Posts: 3166
Location: Winston-Salem, NC

PostPosted: Nov 19 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert, I would be appreciative and eager to hear your ideas on the baffles.

One of the things I've thought about is to make this a stick burner. I'm thinking a square plate in the firebox as a baffle right below the heat stack would help to keep down the direct flame going up the stack. I've pegged that thermo a couple of times by not paying attention. It has a 1,000° range. What were your thoughts?
_________________
My current cookers: 80 gallon vertical tank
The Ultimate New Braunfels Makeover
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 04 Aug 2007
Posts: 2594
Location: San Antonio, TX

PostPosted: Nov 19 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike I'll switch to email as it'll be easier than sending drawings, links, etc. via this forum.
_________________
Let's hope SoEzzy can ditch his heavy hand on photos in 2016!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Posts: 3166
Location: Winston-Salem, NC

PostPosted: Nov 19 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copied that and standing by.
_________________
My current cookers: 80 gallon vertical tank
The Ultimate New Braunfels Makeover
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
missionsusmc
BBQ Pro


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 633
Location: Rogersville, TN

PostPosted: Nov 19 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to sound a little crazy. What if you opened up the chimney from the fb to the tank? Go from 6"-8" or what have you. My thinking is that maybe if you let more heat into the tank, you wouldn't need as big of a fire as you do now. Maybe that would allow you to close off another ball valve, and maybe save some fuel. I followed your build thread and re-read it the other day when you posted this new one. I know that would mean disassembling the whole thing, cutting, welding, and reassembly. Crying or Very sad Another thing might be a double-tiered baffle plate/disc system. That could be what Necron is talking about. (sorry Necron, not trying to steal your thunder Embarassed ) I know KAM has put them in UDS's before. Or maybe both. I don't know enough about insulating a cooker to comment on the subject. You said it holds heat really well, though.

Last resort (don't kill me please): chop off the ring, chimney and part of the bottom bowl of the tank and weld it directly to the top of the fb. That would open it up quite a bit. As I said, last resort, and since you're having good end results, just bad gas mileage, I wouldn't do it either.
_________________
"Never trust a skinny cook."
"Real men pass gas and use hickory."
"Happiness is...a belt-fed weapon."

Mary had a little lamb, a little brisket, a little ribs, and boy she was full!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 04 Aug 2007
Posts: 2594
Location: San Antonio, TX

PostPosted: Nov 19 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

missionsusmc wrote:
This is going to sound a little crazy. What if you opened up the chimney from the fb to the tank? Go from 6"-8" or what have you. My thinking is that maybe if you let more heat into the tank, you wouldn't need as big of a fire as you do now. Maybe that would allow you to close off another ball valve, and maybe save some fuel. I followed your build thread and re-read it the other day when you posted this new one. I know that would mean disassembling the whole thing, cutting, welding, and reassembly. Crying or Very sad Another thing might be a double-tiered baffle plate/disc system. That could be what Necron is talking about. (sorry Necron, not trying to steal your thunder Embarassed ) I know KAM has put them in UDS's before. Or maybe both. I don't know enough about insulating a cooker to comment on the subject. You said it holds heat really well, though.

Last resort (don't kill me please): chop off the ring, chimney and part of the bottom bowl of the tank and weld it directly to the top of the fb. That would open it up quite a bit. As I said, last resort, and since you're having good end results, just bad gas mileage, I wouldn't do it either.


No thunder to steal!

See #2 in this link.

http://seperationtechnology.com/measures-to-mitigate-fouling-phenomena/

It's an old technology for rough distillation that still works extremely well for services that can foul easily (coker fractionators, asphalt oxidizers, etc.), and it's especially handy for heat transfer to quench hot vapors where fouling can occur.

I suspect Mike's build is channeling too much heat & smoke along the cook chamber walls, never developing necessary turbulence to mix through the cook chamber efficiently. No cone shapes would be needed as there's no falling curtain of liquid that needs to be brought into contact then separated again.

I may be barking up the wrong tree, but hard to say without doing a few experiments.

edit - if we try this and it helps, I want the credit for "vertical tuning plates"! Laughing
_________________
Let's hope SoEzzy can ditch his heavy hand on photos in 2016!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pete Mazz
BBQ Fan


Joined: 01 Jun 2015
Posts: 195
Location: Bucks County, PA

PostPosted: Nov 19 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an angled baffle to redirect the heat and smoke towards the center of the CC and it also acts to direct any drippings into the drip pan (not shown).



_________________
If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Try my Smoker Builder Calculators
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Posts: 3166
Location: Winston-Salem, NC

PostPosted: Nov 19 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

missionsusmc, I think your suggestion about enlarging the diameter of the heat stack between the firebox and tank is a valid one but we're talking major surgery to get that done. When things are fired up and purring along I do have a pretty nice smoke velocity coming out the exhaust pipe, so I don't think I'm suffering from any air flow restriction. None the less before I throw the baby out with the bathwater I'm going to run with Robert's (necron 99) suggestions because that's a cheap and easy thing to try. Pete showed in his picture the thing we're talking about doing. Thanks for that Pete Very Happy

I did say that it holds temperature pretty darn well. I failed to mention the experience last winter in 30 temperatures where it was a bit more of a struggle keeping the temperature up. So this may be a combination of things going on. I could try a water heater wrap or something to see if it helps.

And I think your analogy about the gas mileage is spot on. I may be trying to run a 4 barrel / 8 cylinder 327 thinking its going to suck gas like a fuel injected 6. Laughing

So here's the plan, since Thanksgiving is a week away I'm going to avoid any experimentation until afterwards. No sense in complicating my life right now considering that I have things dialed in, albeit with big fuel consumption.

I'll try the doughnut deflector and some insulation wrap to see where that leads. Thirdly if everything else fails I'll try to run it as a stick burner to get a few more Btu's. Wood is plentiful and free in these parts. All these things can be done fairly quickly and cheaply.

I appreciate you guys jumping in and helping a brother out.
_________________
My current cookers: 80 gallon vertical tank
The Ultimate New Braunfels Makeover
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star


Joined: 12 Dec 2007
Posts: 26019
Location: Southeast Texas.

PostPosted: Nov 20 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokin Mike wrote:
missionsusmc, I think your suggestion about enlarging the diameter of the heat stack between the firebox and tank is a valid one but we're talking major surgery to get that done. When things are fired up and purring along I do have a pretty nice smoke velocity coming out the exhaust pipe, so I don't think I'm suffering from any air flow restriction. None the less before I throw the baby out with the bathwater I'm going to run with Robert's (necron 99) suggestions because that's a cheap and easy thing to try. Pete showed in his picture the thing we're talking about doing. Thanks for that Pete Very Happy

I did say that it holds temperature pretty darn well. I failed to mention the experience last winter in 30� temperatures where it was a bit more of a struggle keeping the temperature up. So this may be a combination of things going on. I could try a water heater wrap or something to see if it helps.

And I think your analogy about the gas mileage is spot on. I may be trying to run a 4 barrel / 8 cylinder 327 thinking its going to suck gas like a fuel injected 6. Laughing

So here's the plan, since Thanksgiving is a week away I'm going to avoid any experimentation until afterwards. No sense in complicating my life right now considering that I have things dialed in, albeit with big fuel consumption.

I'll try the doughnut deflector and some insulation wrap to see where that leads. Thirdly if everything else fails I'll try to run it as a stick burner to get a few more Btu's. Wood is plentiful and free in these parts. All these things can be done fairly quickly and cheaply.

I appreciate you guys jumping in and helping a brother out.

I know a Chinese fella that can hook you up with a computer fan and some batteries to help control your burn. Wink Razz Laughing Very Happy
_________________
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

Hybrid Cooker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Posts: 3166
Location: Winston-Salem, NC

PostPosted: Nov 20 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
I know a Chinese fella that can hook you up with a computer fan and some batteries to help control your burn. Wink Razz Laughing Very Happy

Oh, man... you gonna open up that can of worms right here???

So far I've been able to keep my dog out of that fight

I guess it's about time for Tony and Bugs to chime in.
_________________
My current cookers: 80 gallon vertical tank
The Ultimate New Braunfels Makeover
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group