FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Catering leftovers and liability.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cayenneman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14 15 11:06 pm    Post subject: Catering leftovers and liability. Reply with quote

Can someone explain to me in more detail about leftovers from catering and liability. Im reading 2 different things. Some people in the catering contracts say leftover food will be left in pans with refrigerating and reheating instructions and they aren't responsible after the fact. Some people say all leftover food will be taken back with the caterer due to liability issues. So I ask you caterers...what do you do? And I also have the following questions;

1. If you do have someone sign a contract saying they can have leftovers, but the caterer isn't responsible for food borne illness due to improper handling, is this contract essentially a waiver freeing you of responsibility?
2. Sometimes at my main job, a bbq restaurant will bring food there to feed a bunch of employees. Kind of a slop and drop. They drop it off then leave. How is this different than a full service catering job? You could theoretically get sick if that food sat out too long. Would the restaurant be liable for that?
3. What makes catering different from a sit down or delivery restaurant? If I order Dominos Pizza and leave it out all night then eat it for breakfast and get sick, would Dominos be liable? How is this different from catering?

Thanks guys!
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16 15 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Catering leftovers and liability. Reply with quote

cayenneman wrote:
Can someone explain to me in more detail about leftovers from catering and liability. Im reading 2 different things. Some people in the catering contracts say leftover food will be left in pans with refrigerating and reheating instructions and they aren't responsible after the fact. Some people say all leftover food will be taken back with the caterer due to liability issues. So I ask you caterers...what do you do? And I also have the following questions;

1. If you do have someone sign a contract saying they can have leftovers, but the caterer isn't responsible for food borne illness due to improper handling, is this contract essentially a waiver freeing you of responsibility?
In todays lawyer society, there is no such thing....
2. Sometimes at my main job, a bbq restaurant will bring food there to feed a bunch of employees. Kind of a slop and drop. They drop it off then leave. How is this different than a full service catering job? You could theoretically get sick if that food sat out too long. Would the restaurant be liable for that?
again, nothing is impossible nowadays....
3. What makes catering different from a sit down or delivery restaurant? If I order Dominos Pizza and leave it out all night then eat it for breakfast and get sick, would Dominos be liable? How is this different from catering?
Too few people care to take responsibility for their own actions any more Sad

Thanks guys!

My responses above are enough to keep anyone from doing anything, yet we MUST trudge on!!
I personally add an exclusion from liability for any and all of the above, also include that if ANY food or beverage is brought in by ANY other than me, ALL liability for food born illness is waived! [ even a cooler full of beer or soda could have been used for raw chicken at the beach last week and not properly cleaned!!?? ]
I put this both in writing and verbally inform clients with witnesses! THAT being said, I ALSO carry $2 million liability insurance!! Which really means nothing....as lawyers will find out I have $2 mil and start at a minimum of double that .....and eventually settle for the $2 mil...its all a f-ing game to them..... as one local lawyer advertises " IT IS ABOUT THE MONEY"....makes me want to rip his throat out.......
I was sued exactly ONCE in 6 years [ so far ] for campy virus...I tried explaining the real world and science to schiester-bastard....he said " when you go to school for 12 years and pass the bar, you can tell me how to do my job"...to which I replied - " I thought lawyers only need 8 years to pass the bar....now YOU take a 2 day serve-safe course OR read your 8th grade biology books again, then you can tell me how to do mine!!" ....Case was [ eventually ] dropped!! THEN, the sue happy be-otch tried hiring ANOTHER lawyer the very day case was dismissed....I WAS NOT as nice to the second sumbitch!!!!!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
cayenneman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16 15 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mr Tony!
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16 15 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have proper handling instruction as part of our contract, and when we leave an event, I typically discuss them again with the responsible party be it the wedding planner, or the least intoxicated person in the wedding party.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16 15 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, we almost always leave leftovers
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
cayenneman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22 15 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: