FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working with High School Vo-Tech students

View previous topic :: View next topic  
openwheel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29 15 9:11 pm    Post subject: Working with High School Vo-Tech students Reply with quote

I own a tool and fabrication shop and work with our local Vo-Tech school. So this year they had a air compressor tank laying around. Sounds like a good reason to build a cooker. The students I am working with are a cad student and welder. They will start with the calculator on this forum to get all the sizes they need. It will be drawn by the cad student the sent to the plasma cutter. Then start welding. I have a trailer kit ordered so we will involve more students. Should we build a offset or reverse flow?? http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/openwheel11/slideshow/
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30 15 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Working with High School Vo-Tech students Reply with quote

openwheel wrote:
Should we build a offset or reverse flow??

This is a personal preference decision. Reverse Flow cookers have a huge following but there's a bunch of folks that go the other direction also. If I were to build a standard offset I would do it with tuning plates. If you want to be adventurous then you could make a hybrid where the tuning plates could be configured in a reverse flow pattern. This would require an exhaust stack on both ends. That might be a nice science experiment to see which configuration works best.

From hanging around here and reading others experiences it seems that most like using tuning plates once they get the hang of it. If you think about it, a reverse flow requires a bit more velocity so that the smoke and heat can make an abrupt turnaround and exhaust out at the other end. Please let us know what your decision is... it'll be fun following your project.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30 15 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Mike said the choice usually boils down to preference. An idea would be to let the students look at some of the builds here then maybe they can decide what they would like to tackle. Very Happy
The advantage to this would be if the builders a local here then then can communicate with y'all first hand on any particular questions that may arise. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30 15 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

openwheel first thing I would like to say is that I think it is great that your are guiding some young blood into a great project Exclamation As mike an kam said preference is the magic word, some thing you did not mention was how it was going to be used...or by one person or many people. It may steer you in one direction or another. I look forward to following your progress. Post pics of the design and build.
openwheel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30 15 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will get with them to check out some of the cookers on here. My plan is to build thru the winter and have it ready early spring. Then have a cooking there at the school so they can enjoy the fruits of their labor. After that we will raffle it off so we can build something next year.
wango
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30 15 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a cool idea openwheel. I don't have enough knowledge to help you decide but I'm looking forward to watching your build
auto5man
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31 15 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool idea! Maybe the hybrid is the way to go, because it would enhance the students' learning experience. They would thoroughly understand BOTH cooker configurations after completing the project.
DPP Clone Build in progress: http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65139&start=0
Hotdog
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19 15 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

openwheel........ I dont really have a comment on your build, but love the modified pic! THROTTLE DOWN BOYZ!

Hotdog
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: