FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Twin stacks, rollin coal... and Mesquite

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pinkelephant
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24 15 7:43 pm    Post subject: Twin stacks, rollin coal... and Mesquite Reply with quote

Brined 30 lbs of legs and thighs last night, got up at 4am and fired up two UDSs with 50/50 mesquite and kingsford and seasoned with HOH and seasoned salt. All good so far.

My lil one is turning 3 and we are doing a party for 40+ people at church, mostly Filipinas. My Q will be beside some seriously good Filipino food, so I'm taking my time and making it worthy.

pics will be a little slow because they will be going from IPhone to photobucket to PC to photobucket to here.
| _Trucks-n-BBQ _ | H|--[ ]\____,
|_______________| H|___|____|
(o)(o)"""""""""""(o)(o)****(____)(o)
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25 15 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Twin stacks, rollin coal... and Mesquite Reply with quote

Good to see ya back around, Pinky Laughing
Pinkelephant wrote:
pics will be a little slow because they will be going from IPhone to photobucket to PC to photobucket to here.

Yeah, that chit is a PITA ain't it?

PICS! PICS! PICS!
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
Pinkelephant
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28 15 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THX Bugs.
Remodeling a 1927 one room schoolhouse while we are living in it. not much time to play.
Pinkelephant
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28 15 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well things worked all right to start. My job was watching the smoke rise and my wife's job was slaving over the stove.

I had 2 racks of legs-n-thighs on each smoker and kept it at 200 to 250 for several hours. then when the meat was 155-160, I spiked the temp to 375 to finish up. I basted with BBQ sauce at the end and stored everything in the cooler (with 5 hours of Mesquite smoke, straight to the bone).

I have two sams club chafers that I have only used for filipino dishes in the past. This time I put my chicken in them. Two hours off the smoker, they were still too hot to hold. I put two sternos under it with hot tap water in the pan and walked away. I left the food to the ladies and got busy "hosting" the party. All was well for the first hour. people had time for thirds before I noticed every piece of chicken that walked by me was a little darker. It didn't burn the chicken but blackened the sauce. it was still juicy and tasty but I was pretty pissed at myself. This was the first time I ever had substandard food for a crowd. I usually put hot water under the pan of an electric roaster and leave it unplugged. I will do that again in the future. Filipinas like to cook it till its burnt dead because when you buy meat in the philippines its covered in house flies, so they still ate it up and loved it but I learned a lesson on this one.

chafer snafu aside, the party was a hit. there was one slip up. we told a crowd of Filipinas to go to a light at a mc donalds and turn away from the mc donalds then turn left at the stop sign and the church is on the left. I added a pic of the church. there was also a google map link. they all got lost...

Pete Mazz
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28 15 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lookin' grub!

Looks like fun was had by all!

Try my Smoker Builder Calculators
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: