FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Metal welding/work table build questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
whall
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14 15 9:18 pm    Post subject: Metal welding/work table build questions Reply with quote

I am in the process of building the table out of some steel, the table top is about 4' square.

I was wondering what features that you have or would like to have on a good work/welding table?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14 15 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my smaller welding table I have a rod welded to it like a handle that I hang my C clamps on. I also have a vise to one side. If you want to keep your table space free you can weld a 2" hitch receiver to the underside and mount your vice to it making it portable and only in place when you need it.
I have a big 3/8" table on casters that I use for lay out work only.

Hybrid Cooker
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14 15 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with k.a.m. on the idea of a removable vise. A vise is a great tool to have on the table "when" you need it, but on some projects it can really be in the way if its bolted down solid. Places to hang clamps and levels are a must, I always put them on the sides of the table that way your not knee or waist bumping them all the time on your primary work side. I also try and place the hangers for the tools recessed in a bit so the ends of the hangers or the tools are not as bad of a body grabber as your working/walking around the table. I always put a couple dedicated lugs down low on the table for a ground clamp. I try to keep my ground clamp on the ground (no pun intended) as much as possible so it is not so much of a trip hazard. I use a short drop of tubing or a small piece of pipe and weld a couple on the legs of a welding table where a MIG gun can be hung in to keep it off the table if working, or the floor, and it makes for easy access to it when your ready to use it.

JM2CW
enduro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14 15 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May seem like a no brainer, but make sure you have overlap on the table that will allow you to use C clamps properly. No legs or framework right out to the edges. Thru holes on the surface can come in handy as well, tapped or not. Making sure the corners are as square as possible, and the surface is as flat as possible will help setting up projects in the future.
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15 15 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Built a few for friends with dedicated removable angle on one side you can use as a brake / clamp / square. It was 3x3 angle ... nice for clamping vertical pieces to. power strip mounted under table on one leg.
gandrfab
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15 15 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All great ideas.

If you have another table that this table may be near make it the same height never know when you will need that extra space.

For welding on stuff that has bearings, pivot points, nuts and bolts, I do that welding work on a wood table and ground the part so I don't arc the bearings, pivot points, nuts and bolts.
Yes you can mess them up.
gandrfab
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15 15 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And put it on locking castors, makes it easy to move when you need to.
whall
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16 15 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply Embarassed

k.a.m: I like the removable vice idea, I was going to bolt one on the table but I was afraid it would get in the way. I think I like your idea better.

I also plan on adding a shelf under the top probably out of wood, that should be a good place for clamps when not in use Laughing

TrailerBuilder: the mig gun holder is a good idea I will be sure to add a couple of those too

enduro: I have already have the top almost finished and I didn't allow any over hang Embarassed
I used 3"channel for the frame but I have some of those sliding clamps that are used in wood working that I use and work pretty good on most of the things I work with

Maniac: I like the power strip idea I will make sure i ad one of those. I was thinking about adding a square jig on one of the corners of the table. Do you attach it with bolts? Seems like a dumb question but you might know something I don't Laughing

gandrfab: thanks for the tip on welding things with bearings, I have heard of people messing them up but I haven't had that experience yet, I said yet Laughing

I bought some 6" swivel casters but they don't have brakes, they didn't have them when I went to get some Rolling Eyes

The table will be outside in the elements, I will keep it covered of coarse. The top will be out of 1/4" plate so it will take a while for it to rust away Laughing

I will add a couple pics when I get a chance to get it finished up hopefully by the weekend.

Thanks again for all the input and suggestions
gandrfab
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16 15 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the cheapest oil you can find, used car oil will work on this application.

Put some on a rag and wipe it down after it is made and do it again every once in a while or any time you start seeing rust.

Even my tables inside need oiling a couple times a year.
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17 15 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes sir I bolt them. When drilling I just make sure it is flush with one outside square edge. As for the casters there are a few ways to make locks or chocks for them that is not to difficult ...good luck with your build.
wango
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17 15 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My oldest son and I built mine about 10 years ago. Mine is stationary, no casters and we built it with the idea that the stick welder would sit under it and mig cart would be to the side. The leads on my stick welder are 40' so I welded these really cool hooks on the legs to hang my leads on. Right in the front where they were easy to get to. I was so proud of myself, this thing looked sweet. About a month later I was using my cutting torch, I don't remember what I was cutting, but when I lifted my shield, my stick welder leads were on fire.
DOH! Embarassed My legs are recessed under the edge a few inches, but the hooks I put on the front allowed my leads to be almost even with the front edge of the table and slag from the torch was landing on them. Fortunately my leads were very old and cracked and in need of being replaced anyway. The new leads have been relocated to the inside edge of the rear legs.
300sniper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18 15 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whall wrote:

I also plan on adding a shelf under the top probably out of wood, that should be a good place for clamps when not in use Laughing

Use expanded metal instead of wood for the shelf with supports as needed. Bottom shelves have a tendency to fill up with grinding and other dust.
whall
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30 15 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally made some progress with my table, here are a few pics so far

I had a short piece of 1.5" square tube so I welded it on the leg for a mig gun holder, Its kind of hard to see but, i put a hanger on the side of it to hang chipping hammer, or whatever I need to get out of the way Laughing

Here is a pic of the side showing my extensive collection of clamps Laughing

The pipe I used for the legs must have been used for some kind of lifting. There was an eyelet welded into the end of the pipe and this eye was on the opposite end

I thought i would leave it on there, well until it takes a chunk out of my hip Laughing

I was looking for a decent anvil, but most of the ones I could find were cheap cast iron and I was afraid it would bust too easily. Then I remembered that my dad had some hammer heads that come from a limestone mine close to where we live.

I welded a frame to the bottom of it to mount it to the table

I was suprised it welded as easily as it did. I guess i will see how well it worked when i start hammering on it. Im not sure what it is made of but I know its hard, it took a while to cut it with a 14" masonry saw with a metal cutting blade on it. The blade was about half worn down when I got it cut
Shocked
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30 15 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mighty fine work Brother I like the anvil it will come in handy. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
whall
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02 15 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks k.a.m., my welding is definitely getting better I enjoy doing it and I keep myself busy because I keep thinking of things that I NEED to build Laughing

I had a slight change of plans for the anvil, instead of mounting it to the table top I am going to rig it up to go into the hitch receiver like you suggested for the vice. I will put two of the receivers on the table, on opposite sides of course, in case I need to use both on the same project
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03 15 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whall wrote:
I had a slight change of plans for the anvil, instead of mounting it to the table top I am going to rig it up to go into the hitch receiver like you suggested for the vice. I will put two of the receivers on the table, on opposite sides of course, in case I need to use both on the same project

I believe you'll appreciate having a clean table top for those times when you're sliding large material around. I too was going to hard mount my vise until Kevin suggested using the receiver hitch. Best idea ever!!!!
RigzCNC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06 15 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is mine. I got two receivers on my table now. One is a bench grinder and the other a vice. I am going to put a third on for a lamp. The great thing is that they can be moved to different locations and positions. I still got to put some power to it and casters. If I just install the casters the height will be too high. The magnet that comes from HF is for the MIG holder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: