FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fast Food Joints and BBQ!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shotgun Petes
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05 15 9:43 am    Post subject: Fast Food Joints and BBQ! Reply with quote

OK.. So now McDonalds, Wendys and Arbys are alll selling Pulled Pork Sandwiches, or Brisket Sandwiches and also Pulled Pork Cheesy French Fries! and cheap I might add.

I know the quality is not really comparable to real BBQ that us BBQ Joints sell...but you know how the public is.
They will flock to it for a while at least. I can hear it now " How come your Pulled Pork is soooo expeeeennnsive when I can go to blah blah and get it for $4?"

Pork prices only recently have began to go back down to "normal" levels.
One has to wonder, since it was the fast food industry that played a large role in driving up the price of beef last year (excessive demand for hamburger meat), if this current idea of theirs selling BBQ at fast food will drive up the meat prices once again? It has to come from somewhere.

"If you can't BBQ with the Big Dogs, back away from the Pit!"

SHOTGUN PETE'S BBQ SHACK
28 N Ninth St
COLUMBIA, MO

(Downtown across from The Blue Note)
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05 15 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are mobile, and 2 locations are within 300 yards +/- of mcshizzles....BOTH locations know we are open based on their sales those days - they tell us so when they come to us for lunch!!
We also put out food about 5x faster than the mc....Actual quality food at that, so its yet to be an issue!
Of course, we will, on occasion, hear "I can get a burger up the road for $4.00"....My reply usually is " no, you can get a highly processed pc of flavored cardboard for $4.00, I cant sell stuff like that and sleep at night"
I have tried the arby "brisket"...paper thin slices of wayy undercooked meat that tastes more like bacon than beef..brined / pumped / injected / "enhanced"......refuse to even try the pulled pork offered by wendys etc. since its crock pot / chemical smoke flavored / "enhanced"- and I am not afraid to tell my customers so.
As far as them driving the meat prices up, I know for sure that mcshiz buys the lame and broken milk cows [ potentially too lame to be allowed at the auction ] the local farmers are ashamed to put out at auction..[ CHEAP!!] most go from one trailer to another, never even being seen by attendee's at auction, but rather their brokers buy via phone / web etc. - again, something I am happy to share with complainers!
The beef prices were most affected by the droughts in the south followed by the snow in the plains, pig prices due to intestine diseases [ at usda inspected farms and plants ???!!!] Both causing shortages, but yes, what was readily available was scooped up by the fast food industry at fixed prices [ futures ] prior to actual shortage.
freakin mcshiz owns a large part of Idaho just for potato land....Yet I can still make a profit selling fries for the same price as them![ but charge more anyhow!!]
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
YardFullOfOak
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06 15 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Joints and BBQ! Reply with quote

Shotgun Petes wrote:

I know the quality is not really comparable to real BBQ that us BBQ Joints sell...but you know how the public is.
They will flock to it for a while at least. I can hear it now " How come your Pulled Pork is soooo expeeeennnsive when I can go to blah blah and get it for $4?"

There are plenty of places that very successfully sell premium burgers.

The same should apply to BBQ.

If anything, I would guess that the fast food joints help build the market.
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06 15 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Tony's BBQ wrote:
mcshiz buys the lame and broken milk cows

My family is good friends with a family that has a huge dairy farm (2500+ acres) and I used to spend summers there when I was a kid. That's when I heard the saying "Even milk cows don't die of old age" when I asked what happened to the cows that didn't look so healthy and no longer produced Laughing
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
bjbbq

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13 15 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It still amazes me what people will buy to eat. The Mc Rib sandwich has been around for a really long time and some people still probably think its really a rack of ribs on a bun! Its just like the grilled chicken that Subway uses, a processed piece of meat shaped to fit a bun. I like how Subway puts the little black lines on the chicken so it looks grilled.

Unfortunately many people( the ones that complain about our prices) dont know the actual cost of quality meat because they dont shop for it at the grocery store. They just eat fast food and are always eating mystery meat products on the Value Menu. We wont be able to win over these folks usually, but we will always be able to cater to customers who want quality.

We must always market our BBQ to people as the best quality possible. We try to let all customers know that if its not smoked, its just not BBQ. We only buy 100% Certified Angus Beef for our brisket as well as our Burgers and we let all customers know that. It is another marketing tool that we can use and Mc cant. We also take a lot of time to talk to customers about how we grind our own burgers, make our own sausages, slow smoke our meat up to 15 hours and prepare our sides from scratch. When a customer takes a second to ask a question or gives a compliment on our food, that is the time to let them know how hard you work to make great food for them. They will understand and realize that your food is worth every penny.

Im not saying we need to try and drag the fast food biz down or brag up what we do, but a little education goes a long way and will build a following. Fast food is only selling BBQ because it has become more mainstream with all the food TV shows. They are just trying to tap into the trend.

Kind of funny about the pulled pork cheesy fries, because we sell then too. In our restaurant we sell Loaded Fries and there is a description on the menu. In our BBQ rig that we vend from, we got tired of answering, "Whats on your Loaded Fries?" So we changed it to "Pulled Pork Cheesy Fries" and a star was born. Holy crap, we sell so many at all events and County Fairs. Granted that we have amazing homecut fries and REAL pulled pork with Nacho cheese all over the top. We sell these for $7 at most places and may do $8 in a few places next summer due to high demand. I must be a marketing genius to have thought of this before they did!

Bubba
YardFullOfOak
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13 15 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bjbbq wrote:
Fast food is only selling BBQ because it has become more mainstream with all the food TV shows. They are just trying to tap into the trend.

It is driven by low pork prices and high beef prices. If you can shift your sales from beef to pork (or chicken), you can offer a better product and still make more money.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-10-08/fast-food-chains-are-pigging-out-on-pulled-pork
RodinBangkok
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13 15 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not sure its a good idea to use premium high end cuts for Q, if you look at the history of Q and where the best flavor comes from its not from choice cuts of meat, but from what was almost not edible unless cooked low and slow and that to me is where the flavor comes from.

So struggling with food costs becomes much harder when your using premium cuts in processes that were meant for cheap low end cuts.

In the end its not about the marketing as much as the feedback these days, and with social media, feedback is much more valuable than spinning high end cuts and catch phrases.

Let the food speak for itself, that’s what we’ve tried to do, using all those less expensive cuts the right way to bring out the best flavors…so far it seems to be working for us.

Just my 2 cents
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14 15 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey now, Don't go diss'n the McRib!
Every fall I get a few for myself just to be reminded how gross they are. It's just one of those guilty pleasures.

Me seeing BBQ hit the fast food joints, I believe it will only increase the sales of established BBQ restaurants by getting people to try it there, then going out for the real thing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: