FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cargo trailer build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
empty
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19 15 9:10 pm    Post subject: Cargo trailer build Reply with quote

I am toying with the idea of purchasing a cargo type trailer and doing the build-out (interior) myself . trying to purchase large enough to include small sleep area with shower toilet , that would be petitioned off from Food prep area . along with a porch designed trailer to house my cooker . Prep area also to have single sink , prep table maybe folding / pivoting from wall Stainless , cabinets , lights etc...
Has there been any project posted here in the past ? Anybody gone through what I'm trying to accomplish . I would like to get into the sport of Comps , and trying to do it as economically as I can .
I would like to hear suggestions or previous post on the subject ..
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20 15 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are doing it on a budget, don't add in the sleeping and toilet shower area, Get an EZup with walls, stake it out next to the trailer for sleeping, use the toilets provided, get a hot water source, and put an external shower on the outside of the trailer.

I run a 12' with 2 stainless steel tables (1 x 8' 1 x 4'), 3 lower kitchen cabinets, and 3 uppers.

That leaves enough room for the meat cooler, the drinks & food cooler, a cambro, and 3 UDS's, 2 EZups, chairs and charcoal.

If you add sleeping quarters, you'll need the trailer width x 5' minimum, and for a toilet and shower, about 1/2 that much... by the time you've added in all that space, you might be better of buying a second hand Toy Hauler with those features already in, and then use the drop ramp and some jacks or axle stands to support it as your deck, then roll out the cookers onto the door, when you are done cooking, roll them back in and push the door up.

JM2C

I still work here!
DunnSmoke

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20 15 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a 6 x 12 this week.
My intended layout is attached.
From left to right:
Ramp with stands for the 1 of the twins and a new design pit.
Hand sink on top. Cambro's will be on opposite side.1 22" x 6'8" stainless table with 4.6 cu foot fridge on either end leaving a knee space for building boxes, but doubles as storage for my big jambalaya \ gumbo pot on wheels.
the bottom is a 16" x 6'8" stainless counter with full length cabinet below
In line with the door is the sink with tv mounted above using a marine Glomex antenna.
Across the front of the trailer is a bench \ bed with rv toilet under center.
I ordered an extended tongue that allows 2 propane tanks and 1 battery. there will also be 1 battery inside.
All lights will be rv style 12 volt.
I will have on board water and 12 volt pump.

This is my winter project. I am currently collecting all pars needed. My trailer will be here in 3 weeks.
My goal is to have completed by March for the Hammond Blues and BBQ festival.
I intend to compete as well as vend.
Hope this helps.
DunnSmoke

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20 15 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will also be using bag awnings over the ramp and the vending side.
6ft for the ramp and 12ft for the front.

http://www.rvawningsrus.com/Classic-Bag-Awning_p_8.html
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20 15 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a 20' to 24' porch trailer for around 6000.00 or less and build what you want.
Doing all the work yourself is the best way. My friend just moved into a 20' unit but had the company deck it out for him. He has a PitMaker Sniper and vault on the porch. He is at around 30.000 into it now. The square nosed units are the least expensive the front Vee costs a lot to have.

Hybrid Cooker
empty
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21 15 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks too all of you ,
Dunn Smoke That looks like a pretty well thought out design , I may use the bag awning idea , looks reasonable enough for maybe the front door area on what I would like to have .
K.A.M. Great input as usual , You wouldn't be speaking of Ernest / Burnt Bean would you ? I know he had that cooker set up . None the less great advice so far . I still would like to see some pics ect.... if possible . I am considering a 24 v-nose Shell so that I can run elec and plumbing behind finished walls .
Is there normally water supplied a contest ? Or should I consider a extra holding tank with pump for fresh water . I was already thinking of generator , for back up power . I would like to have A/C and heat and also to run florescent .
Thanks again for the input and definitely would like to see / hear more .
K.A.M . would it be possible to speak to your friend and PM some photos , if necessary ?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21 15 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it isn't Ernest it is Corey Nelson Lonely Gringo. He cooks for Orange County Go Texans.
He had his trailer built in Georgia I sent him a message to see if he will post some pics it is an awesome set up.
Most cook offs in our have water and electricity and some offer RV hook ups but are usually limited. The spots are usually powered by one or two 20 Amp receptacles.

Hybrid Cooker
Lonely Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21 15 10:03 pm    Post subject: Cargo trailer build out Reply with quote

ello....I just completed my trailer.......22' cargo with a 10' covered patio and a 12' AC kitchen area.
Lonely Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21 15 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 3 bay sink and a hand was station. I had them plumb in propane, so there is a tank mounted to the front. I added a fridge and gas stove. It has all the cabinetry. I didnt get the serving window, opting for wall space for cabinets and appliances. All loaded up and rolling Im about 8k lbs. Mine resembles Big Es' trailer, but mine is a lil longer. I had the back patio beefed up to hold the extra 2,000 lbs of Pitmaker cookers. I put an army cot with air mattress down the middle for restful nights. Added a TV and DVD, stereo and LED lights on the back. I was gonna do a V nose, and put a toilet and hand wash sink in it, but it added more then I wanted to pay. When I figure out pictures I will send it. Let me know if you have a question.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21 15 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to Corey's trailer specs.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kszwnrxwxv1ikxk/sdgcustomerorder-corey%20nelson.docx?dl=0

Hybrid Cooker
kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22 15 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lonely Gringo wrote:
I have a 3 bay sink and a hand was station. I had them plumb in propane, so there is a tank mounted to the front. I added a fridge and gas stove. It has all the cabinetry. I didnt get the serving window, opting for wall space for cabinets and appliances. All loaded up and rolling Im about 8k lbs. Mine resembles Big Es' trailer, but mine is a lil longer. I had the back patio beefed up to hold the extra 2,000 lbs of Pitmaker cookers. I put an army cot with air mattress down the middle for restful nights. Added a TV and DVD, stereo and LED lights on the back. I was gonna do a V nose, and put a toilet and hand wash sink in it, but it added more then I wanted to pay. When I figure out pictures I will send it. Let me know if you have a question.

How about some pics. What do you mean beefed up to hold the smoker, are the axles back further for the added weight?

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
Lonely Gringo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22 15 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was online with the designer when we put it together. The floor support is a 16" center support structure based on a car hauler. It's 8" channel. We went on 12" centers. And added cross bracing for the 2,000 lbs that would be mounted to the back. They also adjusted both axles back 4" and upgraded from 3500 lb to 5200 lb axles. Very balsnced and easy to pull for a fully loaded 8,000 lb box.
Lonely Gringo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22 15 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More pics.....
https://db.tt/fvotY5SK
Lonely Gringo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23 15 1:31 am    Post subject: KAM Reply with quote

24,635 more posts and I catch you KAM.....
empty
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24 15 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K.A.M Thanks for getting in touch with Corey ,
And Thanks to Corey for posting those Pics !!!

That's one heck of a rig you put together Corey . Beautiful Absolutely Gorgeous . I will probably contact you in the near future to pick your mind a little , if that will be alright ? I am going thru Ga , Soon mid Oct and was going to speak to the builder I had in mind . What you have done definitely helps in the thinking process . Thanks to both of you again .

K.A.M. since Corey is about 26,000 post less than you . You are most likely to see this before him . Please pass along my Thanks . Hope to see ya on the trail soon
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24 15 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

empty wrote:
K.A.M Thanks for getting in touch with Corey ,
And Thanks to Corey for posting those Pics !!!

That's one heck of a rig you put together Corey . Beautiful Absolutely Gorgeous . I will probably contact you in the near future to pick your mind a little , if that will be alright ? I am going thru Ga , Soon mid Oct and was going to speak to the builder I had in mind . What you have done definitely helps in the thinking process . Thanks to both of you again .

K.A.M. since Corey is about 26,000 post less than you . You are most likely to see this before him . Please pass along my Thanks . Hope to see ya on the trail soon

You are very welcome empty I sure will let him know. Very Happy
24,636 now Corey. Razz Very Happy Laughing

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: