FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First comp AAR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phil c
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06 15 7:57 pm    Post subject: First comp AAR Reply with quote

This may be a boring report because I cant get my box pics off my phone, but here goes...

Last weekend I did my first KCBS Comp. I have been Catering and vending for 4 years. The only experience with comps is NON KCBS, best ribs, brisket, act at festivals that I vend at, and The Iowa State Fair grilling championship, (I was Grand Champion in 2014)
My team consisted of myself, my wife, and a friend who has a lot of experience, and is a CBJ.
To start with On Friday it rained all day and into the night. Soggy soggy soggy everything was damp.
I was cooking on a Backwoods Competitor, with a Guru, and a weber kettle. When I put on the big meats I had a bit of an issue getting my Guru to settle in, giving strange temp readings, ended up fighting that all night, with the smoker running very hot. things got a touch overdone
Turn ins went well, made all 4 with time to spare with some good lookin boxes. it was a 2 min walk to turn n across very wet ground. I wish I had my muck boots.
When announcements were made, Hold on, wait for it... I had no calls! I ended up 16th overall, with my Brisket topping out at 12th.
Overall I had a great time! met some good people, had a lot of fun and learned a lot. I will do more KCBS, and expect better results in the future, but it is a process, that I need to learn.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06 15 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on finishing your first comp phil c. Very Happy It is a different world out there for sure. Becoming a judge and or judging helps with learning flavor profiles and boxing. Debbie and I have had our fare share of wins and just as many no calls scratching our heads and asking what just happened. I go into each comp expecting nothing and appreciating anything we are lucky enough to come away with. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: