FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pricing your meats by the pound

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken in Maine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25 15 8:37 pm    Post subject: Pricing your meats by the pound Reply with quote

I'm in a bit of a quandary with pricing. We sell our PP sammies for $8.00 which is about 5oz. and comes out to $24.00 for three. I've had a customer ask for a by the pound price. I quoted $16.00/lb but after thinking it out further I may have screwed up and priced it too low..... but by multiplying it out can I really get around $20.00/lb for just meat?
fish&q
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25 15 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get $12-13 per lb and $8-9 for a sandwich and that depends on what event I'm doing and I only weight the pulled pork when they ask for it by the pound but my PP sandwich is between 6-8 oz. I think $20 a lb is to high but it all depends on what your area will stand for.
Meadow Creek chicken cooker
PaleAle
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26 15 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something you may want to consider is if you are selling by the "pound" here you have to have a certified for trade scale to weigh it on. What we do is sell it by the pint which is practically a pound. We get $10 a pint here.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28 15 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get $13 for pork or chicken, $18 for brisket.
We dont promote that when doing a festival of any kind as we then up out sammie prices [ 5-6 oz portions ] from $6 to $7 pp or chix, $8 to $9 for Brisket to offset parking fee's....
3.5x actual cost is "normal" markup...BUT, keep in mind we lose about 50% to the smoking process [ trim, fat melt off, finish cleaning up at pull etc ] so, a $3.00/lb brisket is actually $6, so $21.00 IS NOT out of line....Pork is currently right around $1.25 / lb, which becomes $2.50 actual cost, but has spiked well into the $2+/lb range.... Then again, with meat pricing fluctuations, unless you plan to change that price regularly based on market price, pick a number you can average out to make a solid profit. If people will pay $25 - then it IS WORTH IT!!
Currently, my beef price is low, my pork is high.....it does average out for the most part, and people are more than willing to pay the prices. I also include sauce on the side with any meat purchase.
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Ken in Maine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03 15 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tried selling at $16.00/lb but are not making an equal to the sandwich price so have decided not to sell by the pound unless they insist and then the price will be $20.00/lb.

Our brisket sammie is $9.00 and seems to be moving well. Our brisket price just went up $1.00/lb so we are slicing it a bit thinner.

Thanks for all the comments!
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03 15 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are currently at $12.50/LB for bulk meats out the door, we are realizing a 47%-50% yield.
Sandwiches need to be higher than bulk meats because you are adding bread/rolls, sauces, garnish, etc

As Pale mentioned, you may get pinched for not having a certified scale and selling by the pound.

So figure out what a pint container stuffed full of meat weighs, and price accordingly for a "Pint" of meat.

This also helps the customer understand the amounts too, because they cannot visualize how much a pound is, but they can easily understand the container size when it's shown to them.
Ken in Maine

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04 15 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For good or bad this is Maine... Not much third party inspection here. No worry about having a certified scale. Most Markets are on Saturday and the inspectors are union and not authorized to work weekends. Not trying to make light of it but things here are not like other areas.

Guess we'll stick to sammies and samplers and not do by the pound. Doesn't seem to be enough of a profit at this time. We have excellent margins... Chicken thighs at .79/lb and sell for $4.00 each... usually get three to the pound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: