FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where has everyone gone?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09 15 5:46 am    Post subject: Where has everyone gone? Reply with quote

I am on my winter break and watch this board for most of the day for 3 months when im off.

I know we all work but I hardly see any new posts or threads being started.....the board is getting old....
Do we need a facelift to keep the Smoke Ring active.
I just find that traffic on the ring has almost come to a halt....whats up people.

What do we all need to bring this once great forum back to its original glory.
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
BBcue-z
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09 15 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the same thing too. I was wondering what caused lack of participation all the sudden??
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09 15 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree with you more. For me, the biggest thing is the outdated, dinosaur software. TEN YEAR OLD software!!! And that's the most recent update. This software is actually from 2001, with minor tweaks in '05. On other boards I'm on, you just run your cursor over the thread title and you get a brief preview to see if you're interested. On here you have to open the thread to see anything. That's like the difference between driving a 1923 Model T and a new Lincoln Continental. I only get on here when I know I have time to kill, versus "Hey, let me check in real quick to see what everybody is up to" and do it 3-4 times a day. There are CERTAINLY enough ads to support an upgrade, monetarily wise, so there's NO excuse for not upgrading - Of course, that's just my opinion. I've bitched at SoEzzy about it and he says his hands are tied. He's not the owner, just the guy that tries his best to keep the nitwits in line. And a FINE job he does. But when the majority of his posts are chastising people for pics being too big, when a 'simple' software upgrade would solve that problem, that's just a stupid waste of time. And, especially for new members, it makes him look like a dick, when he really isn't.

The functionality of this board is starting to remind me of the old Usenet boards in the 80's.

Maybe we need to start a campaign to get an upgrade?
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.

Last edited by BUGSnBBQ on Mon Mar 09 15 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09 15 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree!! I too spend my off season creaping all day and night quite regularly!
I wonder if splitting into so many sections isnt part of it?? Many have very few posts, so it may have steered others elsewhere w/o getting replies etc..????
I have heard grumblings for some time about "upgrades" to the system, maybe the time has come to use some of the advertising money to bring this system out of the dark ages and compete with the system the owner uses pretty much daily....I am quite rural, I for one know my slower interweb speeds dont care for all the add's loading over and over, just to see the same 5 or 10 people posting....If it were like it used to be, it would be more so worth the wait to say the least!
It also seems the photo issues have had people simply give up[ an upgrade issue??] ....It seems many are creeping [ based on views vs replies ]
I truly hope things pick up....fb has hundreds of BBQ related sites sprawled out everywhere....its automatic to post pics, and group moderators keep things in line. I think SoEzzy does a fine job, not going anywhere against you Chris, but really think fb is much easier for new users - less rules, the photo thing, and the ownership puts back into the system regularly [ most I dont care for] but make investments in its future! I'll stop there...
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09 15 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I noticed when I'm on the road for a week or more and come back and check in it's like I never left hardly any new posts. Sad indeed.

--Dan
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09 15 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been through this I don't know how many times and it always falls on deaf ears. Maybe we should crowd fund and buy the place then spiff it up a bit.
Chef
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09 15 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well coming from a guy that has not been posting much lately. It is mainly due to time restraints. But I must say posting pictures are a pain in the butt. But I have also seen us gang up on people. Once a guy asked a question about liquid smoke and he was badgered something terrible I sent him a message but never heard back from him. I can understand giving each other a bad time, since we are friends we can get by with it cause we understand that we are playing around. If we jump on a newbe that does not know us they will not come back. I am going to try to be on as much as I can and make topics that are applicable to the people that want to learn more about bbq. I am not on any other forums so guess I need to make this one work. If we are going to make it work lets make people feel at home and give them some good info, they can use.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09 15 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While new upgrades would make Chris's job a lot easier I doubt it would increase the influx of posts here on the ring.
I truly believe the greatest contribution to lack of posts on this and many forums is social media such as face book.
I see it myself, since Debbie and I have started competing I now belong to several FB pages as well as our own page.
This forum is not alone in stagnate posts, I also belong to The Texas BBQ Forum and some of those forums sit for days with out moving, mainly because social media takes precedence.
I love the ring and while it is the first on my browser I have a lot of pages now that I cover.
I continue my vigilance in the cooker section, helping folks where I can. I also watch posts in all of the sections and try to congratulate folks on cooks and what not.
The main thing for most members I believe is as the world gets more internet free with sites other than forums the less you see here.

I do miss the old days where the ring was my only source for communication about BBQ and cooker builds but the facebook world has widened that gap so much that one place is hard to bind too.

Hybrid Cooker
dmike25
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09 15 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chef wrote:
I am not on any other forums so guess I need to make this one work.

+1

I have never been much of a contributor to the Ring, but everything I know about BBQ (and a lot of other cooking as well) I've learned here. Heck, if it wasn't for TSR I would probably still be boiling CSR's in beer and tossing them on a hot grill with some sauce on em Shocked It used to be that if I skipped a day or two of reading the Ring, it took forever to get back to being current, and I only watched a couple of forums. Now I read most of them, and there's not much to read lately.
feldon30
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09 15 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site needs an upgrade pronto. It's a PITA to share our pictures of cooks. We can't use Likes or easily recommend stuff to other people. There's no Photo Gallery. We can't form Social Groups to organize online or real-life events. When I saw someone get scolded for bumping a thread in the Regional Gatherings forum I just shook my head. It's all just unnecessarily difficult and everything looks antiquated at this point.

I'm familiar with Facebook and Twitter. I use Twitter extensively but it's a different beast. 140 characters is the pits if you want to say anything meaningful. These services don't have the sense of community you get from a good forum, but they do have one good thing -- they make it dead easy for people to share stuff FAST. Robin Williams died and millions of people on Twitter knew in about 5 minutes. It's an incredibly quick broadcast medium. Facebook makes it a piece of cake to organize your own groups, put together events, share photos from it, etc. That's the strength of these services. If these forums were updated, we'd have those same sharing and organization tools. Plus it would work on a cell phone! 50% of web browsing is now done on phones or tablets.

I wish I had the cash to buy the site. It's sad to see this great forum just resting on its laurels for going on 15 years now, cashing the advertising checks and not turning that money back around into improving the site. Evolve or die.
RodinBangkok
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09 15 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both my adult kids use social media exclusively for their business dealings, and rarely ever do anything with forums. All the general forums I've been on are also seeing a drop in users/posts over the years. Only the professional forums I belong to seem to be steady, but then again its the same members with very few additional new ones, especially beginners in any field, they tend to use the social media, while the established forum users tend to be the seasoned professionals in their fields that keep things going.
I'm not sure updating the forum is going to make a difference, perhaps other than the photo posting capability here, which is sorely lacking, I usually don't post images anyway, but here I'd never think about it, just too much hassle.
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09 15 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a fan of any social networks like Facebook or Twitter...I will never use them.....
I am a member of only 2 other forums...a Cigar forum and a Hot pepper forum.....the traffic is never ending.
Always something going on.....because of all the different features that those forums offer.

I would just like to see all our regular members back here
contributing and having fun like it was a few years back....
I would really hate to see the internet's best BBQ site go AWOL.
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
LIAR #25
mbellot
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09 15 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Bacon wrote:
I am not a fan of any social networks like Facebook or Twitter...

AMEN!

BTW - Which Hot Pepper forum are you on? TheGardenWeb just went through a major overhaul/buyout (by Houzz) that pretty much ruined it. A real shame since there were a lot of good people and info that jumped ship with the change.
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09 15 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbellot wrote:
Canadian Bacon wrote:
I am not a fan of any social networks like Facebook or Twitter...

AMEN!

BTW - Which Hot Pepper forum are you on? TheGardenWeb just went through a major overhaul/buyout (by Houzz) that pretty much ruined it. A real shame since there were a lot of good people and info that jumped ship with the change.

I am hanging around The Hot Pepper Forum.....

http://thehotpepper.com/
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
LIAR #25
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10 15 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed it too.......and, as such have been spending some time over at the BBQ-Brethren. It seems to me that those threads move more quickly than here. There seem to be more posters, but it is a disorganized mess. TSR is definitely better and more organized. If you look on the BBQ Brethren, you will see a lot of folks still posting there who used to be over here......makes me wonder. I think sometimes there can be a little "clique-ness" on TSR, and that rubs people the wrong way. I think it is more of this, and the general PITA of posting pictures than the evolution of Facebook BBQ pages hurting traffic. I belong to several FB ones as well, and I don't do much with those other than read a post now and then or look at their pics.

Hopefully the site will evolve.....there is a ton of information here that would be a shame to lose!
Weber 22.5 Performer
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10 15 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris (SoEzzy), would you ask Gary to respond to this post, please. I, and others would like to know what the plans are, if any, for the upgrade of the Smoke Ring. Or, if you prefer provide me his email/cell number I can email/call him and ask.

I agree with kam I think social media has some to do with the issues we discussed just don't know how much. Thanks Chris.

--Dan
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10 15 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually closed my FB account a while back but with the conception of Q'ing For A Cause I was pushed back into the social network, it helps us reach our local and world wide audience quickly.

Being an admin on that page along with our FB Tequila Sunrise BBQ Team page and website I now belong to 29 other pages, because of new friends we have met.
I have had folks ask me before on FB pages "Are you k.a.m. on the ring?" I say yes and they say yeah I am a member but never post anymore.

Maybe a poll on how many folks post on FB more than the ring now would shed some light to this. But I can tell you for those that do not use social media that is where the drop is.
My post count here speaks volumes for my activity on the ring, and while I do not post cooks as much as I used to it is mainly because I am so busy with other stuff that Debbie and I rarely cook on the weekends any more. I cant remember the last time I cooked a fatty, or even a stuffed pork loin. Sad

The first place I look at in the morning is the ring, and just because I do not post does not mean I am not looking. I try to catch up when I can.

Hybrid Cooker
BRBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10 15 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been to cold for me to even think about bbq lol..I did just some some pics now that it warmed up Very Happy
suckaass
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10 15 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been a fan of this site since I stumbled on to it 4 years ago. I haven't really had a problem with ads or posting pictures, my problem is that I was a gung-ho poster for the first year or so, then I became more of a lurker, visiting the site once or more a day, but only posting occasionally. I do not use any other social media, but often wonder about what happened to some of the guys that used to be so active here, the suddenly disappear, and then here I am guilty of the same thing. Rolling Eyes

I have learned a lot from everyone here, and I truly appreciate your loyalty to The Smoke Ring. I would hate to see this place turn into a ghost town, so I will do my part and start posting more of my cooks and adventures, and help out when and where I can
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10 15 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeepdad wrote:
Chris (SoEzzy), would you ask Gary to respond to this post, please. I, and others would like to know what the plans are, if any, for the upgrade of the Smoke Ring. Or, if you prefer provide me his email/cell number I can email/call him and ask.

I agree with kam I think social media has some to do with the issues we discussed just don't know how much. Thanks Chris.

--Dan

I have no problems letting Garry know everyone's thoughts concerns and wishes, so I'll send him a link to this thread.

Done!

I still work here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: