FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there really any merit in marinating chicken wings?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29 15 8:02 pm    Post subject: Is there really any merit in marinating chicken wings? Reply with quote

I've got a mess of them that I need to grill and possibly freeze. Despite they're being considered white meat, I've never really been able to taste the difference between wings that are marinated. Tossed with spices and then grilled or fried seems to make a lot of difference in the taste.

Is there a legit rationale for marinating them and, if so, what do you find success with them?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29 15 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I relate wings to crawfish. I think the marinade gets to the skin but not the meat kinda like dusting crawfish when they are done cooking. I like grilled wings with a light glaze on them so I can taste the grilled flavor. Too much or a thick sauce is like just tasting the sauce. For fried Debbie has a two or three step method that works but she still hasn't hit that Popeye's spicy level I like, it is a work in progress.
Injecting the wings works well for internal flavor in my opinion.

Hybrid Cooker
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29 15 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Kevin, if I could make my wings taste like Popeye's I'd do them like that every time. I worked in a fried chicken joint that used a dry marinade on their chicken, but the place has long gone out of business, and I've lost the recipe (close to 30 years ago).

Give me some tips on what Debbie comes up with. I'd be much obliged.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29 15 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a marinade / brine that I use and it changes up the taste from straight grilled wings.
Of course things like this are subjective to your own particular taste.
I get a lot of complements with this method;

• 1 qt. (4 cups) Apple cider vinegar
• 4 tbl. Kosher salt
• 2 tbl. brown sugar
• 1 tbl. sweet smoked paprika
• 2 tbl tomato paste
• 6 oz. Texas Pete hot sauce

Mix until salt and brown sugar is dissolved.
Makes enough for approx. 4 lb.'s or 24 wings,
Soak in stainless steel bowl for 4 to 6 hours, stirring occasionally. Keep refrigerated.
Place directly in smoker or grill after soaking.

If you want to kick up the heat then replace a cup or two of ACV with the hot sauce otherwise they're good to go for anybody that doesn't like heat.
MacEggs
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29 15 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have marinated them, then dusted with seasoning.
Also, just marinated them …. Also, just dusted with seasoning.

I find a longer marinade, maybe 6 hours might show some extra flavour, but a short spell does not.
That's when I just season them when I am pressed for time.

I now do them at a very high heat on the kettle.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=688137

The cookers (so far).
Some Weber kettles of various age, color and size
UDS & Mini UDS
Abby Normal ECB
Napoleon Propane Grill
suckaass
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29 15 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. Never thought to marinate wings Rolling Eyes guess I figure that there's not that much meat, so why bother.

I love 'em grilled with a dry rub or fried and tossed in a Buffalo sauce. Mike's recipe looks pretty good though. I'm gonna have to try that. Very Happy
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30 15 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I grill wings, I sometimes marinade them in Italian dressing overnight. The cheap, store bought kind (like Lawry's). And baste them once, halfway through. Kinda old school, the dressing marinade was popular in the 80's.
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30 15 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For wings I like to rinse,pat dry with paper towel.....coat of good EVOO and Montreal Chicken spice......then let sit in the fridge at least a couple hours......
then i bring them out to warm up a bit just before hitting the hot grill.....thats the way i like em.
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
GeorgeH
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30 15 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I ever had success in marinating chicken wings is when I made chicken lollipops. If you are not familiar with lollipops, you cut the tendons off the small end of the wing section and pull the wing inside out but leave the bone as a handle. It is pretty time consuming but it exposes the meat so a marinade can act on it. If you leave the skin intact, the marinade just doesn't go through the skin. If you don't want to make a chicken lollipop, you are better off using a seasoning or sauce. Most buffalo wings I have eaten just immerse the wings in a sauce and cook them on a stove top. It's not exactly BBQ though.

George
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01 15 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigOrson wrote:
Wow, Kevin, if I could make my wings taste like Popeye's I'd do them like that every time. I worked in a fried chicken joint that used a dry marinade on their chicken, but the place has long gone out of business, and I've lost the recipe (close to 30 years ago).

Give me some tips on what Debbie comes up with. I'd be much obliged.

I apologize Big O for being a bit late on the response. She has her batter down for crispiness and working hard on the heat I will get her steps and report back to ya. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03 15 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I ended up dredging them in blackened seasoning, coating them with flour and deep frying them in peanut oil. Sauce was absolutely unnecessary, although they could have benefited from some sweet with the heat.
NAVET
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12 15 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rub the wings the day before and leave them to "marinate" for at least 24 hours. Then I smoke them at about 300-325F till they are done. Move the grate to right over the coals for a few minutes to crisp the skin and then devour them!

Competitive BBQ; The only sport where a fat, bald man can be looked upon as a hero.
Chef
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29 15 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you talk marinade you are not talking about letting it soak long enough to penetrate. into the meat. Now a brine is a long process that the liquid can penetrate into the muscle fibers. often marinades have an acid componet so if your wings sit in it to long it will break down the meat and make it mushy. For me it is a little rub and maybe some italian dressing on it right before or during the cook. then coat with sauce the last part of the cook so it will candy up on the wings.
Cal-B-Que
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01 15 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is almost not worth the effort to me, unless I am doing Indian Tandoori wings (yogurt/curry marinade).

Usually, I just season with a jerk dry rub, smoke for a half hour and then crisp/finish on a grill grate over the firebox coals.

Last step is a light saucing with Sweet Baby Rays. It is a great contrast with the jerk seasoning.

Weber Smokey Mountain
Chargriller Akorn Kamado Kooker
Chargriller Pro
Weber Performer
Lodge Logic Hibachi Grill
tskeeter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03 15 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeH wrote:
The only time I ever had success in marinating chicken wings is when I made chicken lollipops. If you are not familiar with lollipops, you cut the tendons off the small end of the wing section and pull the wing inside out but leave the bone as a handle. It is pretty time consuming but it exposes the meat so a marinade can act on it. If you leave the skin intact, the marinade just doesn't go through the skin. If you don't want to make a chicken lollipop, you are better off using a seasoning or sauce. Most buffalo wings I have eaten just immerse the wings in a sauce and cook them on a stove top. It's not exactly BBQ though.

George

If you've ever had wings at the Anchor Bar, in Buffalo, you ate a wing that was deep fried, then tossed with the wing sauce of your choice. Most Buffalo wing sauces are melted butter blended with Tobasco for heat. Frank's is a fair approximation of the real deal.

Sauced and then grilled is a chicken wing, but it ain't a Buffalo Wing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: