FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I finally decided to get my feet wet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
whall
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16 15 8:06 am    Post subject: I finally decided to get my feet wet Reply with quote

I found a food trailer on lsn a couple days ago, and I went to check it out today. I took a couple pics to see what you all thought about it.

It is all stainless, and the guy said he used it about 8 months and then opened a restaurant and didn't have time for it anymore.

He said everything worked when he parked it. You can tell by seeing it in person that it has been sitting a little while. It just needs a good cleaning

The guy was asking $15,000 but I got him down to $10,000 so im waiting on the bank.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16 15 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a steal to me at $10k if all is in working order!!
Love the built in steam table, do I see 2 different ????!!! fryer looks like things may get a little tight and hot to handle, but nothing that cant be figgered out after a burn or 3 on the forearm Shocked Confused Very Happy I've had a few off my flat top!
Be sure to check out the axles, frame and brakes.
Do I spy under counter fridges???
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
whall
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17 15 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mr Tony,

I went and picked up the trailer today

It was about an hour away from where I live. It pulls good and straight, it was definitely heavy and I think I may need a bigger truck .Shocked Laughing It didn't look like anything flew off of it when I got home with it. Laughing

As far as the steam table there is just the one next to the flat top. The one on the end farthest away is for cold holding with ice in the bottom.

The fryer is definitely in a hard to reach place especially when everything gets heated up. I'm not sure how much I will use it in the beginning anyways. I want to start out simple I can always add things later, I just don't want to get in over my head starting out.

It does not have under counter fridges, It is all just panels to hide the plumbing and gas lines plus some storage.

I wanted to ask you, What do you use to clean the stainless and the equipment in your trailer(s)? They could definitely use a touch up

And also the flat top is rusty from sitting, what is best to use to get the rust off so it can be re-seasoned?
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17 15 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elbow grease!!!...lol....They make big griddle blocks - pumice I believe, that will help clean the flat top..cheap and have sand paper qualities..Get her oily and hot, most will clean right up in my experience with old nasty flat tops! S.S. cleaners work wonders, available at any R/D or kitchen supply / cleaning supply isle...
My newest / used flat top was so nasty, I used sulfuric acid!! [ the good drain opener stuff that comes in a bottle, in a bag, available at most good hardware stores, home depot etc ] but that was food buildup... Crying or Very sad Shocked I even used my portable hand grinder with a sanding disc in spots!!
Good luck Brother! Looks like a great unit!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
whall
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18 15 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Mr Tony,

I just got back from wal-mart and I couldn't find elbow grease anywhere! Confused Very Happy Laughing

I took a closer look at my flat top and it is just mostly surface rust. I did get some Bar Keepers Friend cleaner. I thought I would give it a try this weekend and if that doesn't do it I will be going to the local restaurant supply Monday anyways. I'm sure they have what I need.

If you don't mind I have another question. The trailer is set up to either be plugged in to power like an rv or can be wired up with a generator.

My question is, Is there an "easy" way to determine how big of a generator I need?

I know an electrician but I thought if it was easy enough, I could figure it out

Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure I do everything right.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20 15 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look at all your electronics amperage rating, but figure almost double that for the "surge" when fridge etc first kicks on!
My Big rig pulls 42 amps with everything running!!!! Thats A LOT! I have a 12.5K surge, 10k run gen that we can kill if everything kicks on at the same time!! That includes 2 fridges, 2 freezers, [ 1 of each on rig and in cube van] 4 steam tables lights, water pump, water heater and 2 holding ovens.....ALL electric! Add in a crock pot and small flat top, and we are turning some things off to make others work at times, and leaving the A/C off!!
Your rig is mainly gas, so you wont need that big! If you can get away with a honda eu3000, they are wisper quiet, and you can add another if needed - hooked together. The price tag is up there, but worth it up front! I would need 4 tethered together!!! Not gonna happen here!! Embarassed Crying or Very sad
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
whall
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28 15 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tony, sorry for such a late reply. As always life and work gets in the way.

I have another question if you don't mind.

It's kind of a long winded explanation so here we go Very Happy

Upon further inspection of the fresh water tank I noticed a square hole cut out of the top of the stainless tank so I later pulled it out and realized that the reason for the hole was to add a plastic/pvc where somehow one of the nipples was broken off. Rolling Eyes so I welded a patch over the hole and since all the fittings were galvanized I changed them to stainless. I decided to change all the plumbing to copper.

Since I have you up to speed here is my question Laughing

I was wanting to know how to split the cold side to the hot water heater? Is it ok to add a tee a couple inches past the pump? The reason I ask is the original was very close to the inlet on the water heater
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28 15 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anywhere between the pump and the water heater should be just fine!
I used all "pex" pipe - a form of plastic that isnt affected by our sub zero weather like copper is. It can freeze solid and expand 4 times its original size and not split etc. Be sure to keep rig warm on your occasional freezes, and fill lines with RV pink water antifreeze if expecting a long cold period.....Replacing all those lines again wouldnt be ANY fun, I am confident!!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: