FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ideal low and slow temp is or that irrelevant?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01 15 5:41 am    Post subject: ideal low and slow temp is or that irrelevant? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I just joined because I have been grilling for a while yet as I was looking at beef rib recipes (to do something different) I realized a lot of different sites said 200-225, 225-250 or 250- 275 and as my ribs are smoking at 255 I am left wondering is there a huge difference? My thought is at a stable temp of 250- to 275 I would reach a target temp of 190ish and/or preferred tenderness in less time than 200-225...I guess my question is is there that much of a difference or is there an ideal smoking temp?

I generally cook my ribs anywhere between 225-275 and about an 1 per pound.
Old Dave
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01 15 6:36 am    Post subject: Safe Smoking Temperatures Reply with quote

The USDA-FSIS recommends a safe smoking temp of no lower than 250 degrees for this kind of cooking. You can find this information under the safe smoking temps in the article.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/connect/d468f3d9-fb6c-4109-88d7-2931f7132098/Barbecue_Food_Safety.pdf?MOD=AJPERES
emac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01 15 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Safe Smoking Temperatures Reply with quote

Old Dave wrote:
The USDA-FSIS recommends a safe smoking temp of no lower than 250 degrees for this kind of cooking. You can find this information under the safe smoking temps in the article.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/connect/d468f3d9-fb6c-4109-88d7-2931f7132098/Barbecue_Food_Safety.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

thanks, that is a very interesting read. Everybody has their own methods/tricks/rituals and such, is there any reason maybe negligence that people would smoke lower than 250?
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01 15 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion the FEDs are trying to protect everyone from the knowledgeable to the iriots with "safe" temperatures... they say smoking from 250 - 300°. I often cook my chicken hot and fast at 325 - 350° does that make it less safe than 300° as recommended?

You can cook how you want to cook, if you make folks sick, (and it does happen every now and then), man up and face the consequences, if you don't want to be silly about it, think about it.

I live at 4,500' above sea level, the boiling point of water is 203.8°, if cooking something in boiling water at that temperature is safe, then why would cooking in a smoker not be safe?

The reasons for cooking at a lower temperature is to extend the time you have to build a smoke ring and a smoke flavor, as the temperature difference between the meat and the pit is one of the main drivers to time of cooking meat.

Each pit cooks over a different time per lb, learn you pit, find where it likes to cook, and don't be silly about food safety!

Enjoy!

I still work here!
biker.chef
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01 15 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Safe Smoking Temperatures Reply with quote

Old Dave wrote:

I'm not buying it. They say
Quote:
The temperature in the smoker should be
maintained at 250 to 300 °F for safety.

Its hard to say what this recommendation is based on.
In a commercial kitchen its common to braise meats in a 200°F oven.
EAT BACON
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01 15 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm +1 with biker.chef.

The article makes no such recommendation for pit roasting.

Who uses a pit thermometer in a imu used to cook Kahlua pig for instance?

I don't see meat being cooked in an unmonitored for temperature earthen pit as inherently safer than a steel pit.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01 15 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine there are buffer zones in their scale. I quit hunting the 225°/250° long ago. I find it a lot easier to maintain coal bases at around 245°/275°.

Hybrid Cooker
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02 15 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
I quit hunting the 225°/250° long ago.

I did too. I run my cookers where they want to run efficiently. I got tired of fighting them to try and maintain 225 when they want (insist Laughing ) 250-275. There's no difference in quality at 260 vs 225 IMO.
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
ZippyMSBS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02 15 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGSnBBQ wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:
I quit hunting the 225°/250° long ago.

I did too. I run my cookers where they want to run efficiently. I got tired of fighting them to try and maintain 225 when they want (insist Laughing ) 250-275. There's no difference in quality at 260 vs 225 IMO.

X3 when I cook With a Guru I set it 245* & forget about it
When I'm cooking with out a Guru I'll bounce from 230*-275* Find out what temp you're Cooker / Grill Setteles in at the best thing is,There are no right or wrong answers
Practice, Practice Have fun Wink
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02 15 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have given up on the 225°shenanigans...I figured where my pits run best, turn the dials on the tru tells so the sweet spot is the needle pointing straight up. From a distance I can see the red needle and know if I need to mess with the intakes or add a log or 2....275° or so allows me an extra hour sleep here and there.
At a festival this past weekend, I had the scrapper cranking along at 350° just to keep up with demand, spiking over 400° at times. Chicken was some of the best I have ever done, butt's finished in record time while still having great flavor, good smoke and a nice ring [ though I did manage to destroy a brisket on the hottest spot near the firebox - 500°??600°??? more?? Embarassed, but having 500+# along made it ok ]
One comp friend cooks at 375° every weekend and puts out an AMAZING product [ currently #27 in the nation ] another runs his pit, seemingly wide open [ currently #2 in the nation ] KCBS....
Point is, your pit, your flavor profile, time available and you as pitmaster is what will deem the right temp for you!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
stetch
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03 15 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my offset hums at 220-225, my UDS at 235-240.

The offset makes 10x better bbq than the UDS, I just used the UDS more because of the convenience factor.

I get a much better smoke ring on the offset. The temperature difference isn't that big, but the results are.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03 15 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could add to this.. I think that meats such as fatty beef or spare ribs, brisket and pork butt turn out best with lower temps such as 225-250 to extend cooking time to help render out fat and break down collagen.

Leaner meats like a pork loin roast or back ribs can go hotter (275-300).
Chicken is treated best with higher temps as SoEzzy stated.

I have found that I tend to shoot for 250, unless its chicken, and settle with what my cooker likes for that day as weather does effect cooking temp and trying to struggle with temp can be frustrating.

I think for the most part, cooking temps are guidelines not commandments written in stone. Experience will teach you what is best for you.
LIAR #100
biker.chef
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03 15 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGSnBBQ wrote:

I run my cookers where they want to run efficiently.

I think this a hard lesson to learn.
It seems that different smokers have a temp they like to run at.
Its better to just let them run at that temp.
EAT BACON
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: