FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How are you holding your Q

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gelenn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22 15 4:11 am    Post subject: How are you holding your Q Reply with quote

We've been having a few complaints from customers about their pulled pork or pulled chicken not being hot when they got it. It came to a head yesterday when my sister's friend got the pulled chicken and it was not hot and had bones in it (we use boneless skinless thighs for our pulled chicken, not sure how this happened). My sister (she's in the restaurant biz big time in Atl) wanted to see the kitchen and how we hold and serve our food. We have two Winston CVAPS we hold and serve our meats out of and a steam table that holds our sides. The CVAPS are constantly being opened to pull orders from so I know they are losing a lot of heat and steam, not the intended use for them. I tried holding in the steam table but everything got dried out to quickly. Looking for answers or advise on what you guys do, I've got to get this problem solved. Would CVAPS holding drawers be a better answer? We do not have a microwave in the house but when the temp drops below serving temp how do you get it back to temp? What temp do you guys serve at? My sister said her serving temps were 170. I have my CVAPS set at 170 and +2. Thanks for any help!!!
Paul L.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23 15 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like your food should be plenty hot. Are you pulling the meat ahead of time? Or holding whole and pulling to order? That's how we've been able to maintain temps. Our Cvap cabinets are set at 150 +4.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23 15 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you serving on cold dinner plates?
Stoneware pulls heat out of food fast, and how long was the order sitting before it hit the table?

If you're serving on plates as opposed to paper lined baskets and trays, that may very well be you problem.
When you're pulling your meat, is it under a heatlamp?

We employ a heatlamp above the cutting board, move quickly as we can, and serve on paper.
gelenn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23 15 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are pulling our meat to order, no pre-pulling unless we have a large group about to come in. We do not pull under a heat lamp, I do like that idea. Harry we serve on plastic trays lined with butcher paper. Our problem is the meat temps low in the CVAP when we are constantly opening it during busy service times, I'm just not sure the holding cabinet is designed to be opened for as long as we are keeping it open. We actually pull our butts in the holding cabinet a lot of the time instead of taking it out, closing the door and then pulling the order on a table. I did bump up the temp yesterday and it helped but still during service I noticed the temps falling again.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26 15 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We run our CVAP's at 165 water temp, and 2-5 on the texture (dry heat)
My meat typically sits at about 145-150,

I get really bent out of shape if I have a draft coming across my cutting board, and we time things very tightly so the food is not sitting losing heat before hitting the table.

My main guy on the line and I are always communicating to properly time things to avoid heat loss.

The last things to hit the trays are hot sides & meats,

Now I threw another wrench into our operation by doing pizza too, so imagine timing BBQ with pizza. The pizza cant come out too soon or the pan it is on gets too hot to handle, and if the BBQ comes up first, it sits and cools rapidly
bjbbq

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29 15 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a similar issue at one point and found that the Sham was a bit too cool, so we upped the temp to 155. Secret in a Sham(not sure about a CVAP) is to keep all food tightly wrapped and not cut or pulled before service.

Another thing that has improved our quality of service with chicken is a ........wait for it..............microwave. Yes, we use it almost exclusively for chicken so we can heat it up by portion. This way, the boneless skinless thigh meat can be pulled/chopped right after coming out of the smoker. Then it is stored in the cooler and heated up as needed. This keeps it fresh and juicy and hot. We sell lots more chicken since switching over to this method.
gelenn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29 15 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, we have bumped up the CVAP's temp and that has helped. Adding a heat lamp to the cutting and pulling station--thanks Harry! Also think the heat lamp on our window is not enough and going to upgrade it as well. Already hollering and getting on servers ass about picking up orders!!!
Harry, what type pizza are you doing, New York style? I see you're using Grande cheese, good stuff, only I use the east coast blend. What is your current sales mix, we are really trying to increase our pizza sales for obvious reasons. Going into this endeavor I wasn't sure what to expect, here in SW Georgia BBQ rules!
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30 15 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gelenn wrote:
Thanks guys, we have bumped up the CVAP's temp and that has helped. Adding a heat lamp to the cutting and pulling station--thanks Harry! Also think the heat lamp on our window is not enough and going to upgrade it as well. Already hollering and getting on servers ass about picking up orders!!!
Harry, what type pizza are you doing, New York style? I see you're using Grande cheese, good stuff, only I use the east coast blend. What is your current sales mix, we are really trying to increase our pizza sales for obvious reasons. Going into this endeavor I wasn't sure what to expect, here in SW Georgia BBQ rules!

We are similar to a New York Style. Hand-Tossed, thin crust, fresh dough made nightly for the next day, Whole-Milk Mozz (Grande) and the slices can be folded to eat it.

Some days we see pizza exceed or BBQ sales, pizza sales has been creeping up nicely every month.
The building that I am in was originally designed as a pizza place, but the original owners thought a neapolitan pie would be huge in this area, and they guessed wrong.
The 2nd owner installed a used exhaust hood without tempered make-up air, and it has been a pain in my arse since day 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: