FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brisket Failure. Need some feedback/help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canadian Smoker

PostPosted: Tue May 19 15 3:14 am    Post subject: Brisket Failure. Need some feedback/help. Reply with quote

Well, 3 weeks of preparation and obsession ended in failure. I'm new to the forum and appreciate any help and feedback so this doesn't happen again.

Purchased a 9lb whole packer from a local grocer (Graded AA, ample fat, good bend when held up) and kept in in cryovac in fridge (39F) for past 3 weeks. Best before date was May 24, 2015. Opened it up on Thursday night, rinsed it off. No off smell or slime. Placed in fridge in a large bag and dry rubbed at around noon (no injection or brine) on Saturday for a 0700 cook on Sunday morning.

Pulled out of fridge at 0600 and had my WSM holding steady at 225F. Placed meat on. Got it back up to temp. Smoked it for 2 hours with cherry wood and got it up to 150F internal by 1100. At that point I crutched it using 1/2 a cup of beef broth, tightly wrapped it in foil, and cooked it to an internal temp of 203F. Pulled it, rested it for 45 minutes, and sadly discovered that the whole thing was slightly more tender than shoe leather Sad

My foil from the crutch had about 2.5 Cups of drippings and fat in it.

I'm not sure where I went wrong. Based on my review of a few sites and resources it does not appear that I did anything out of the ordinary. Did I? Any help/tips/feedback appreciated as I am close to giving up on brisket forever!

Thanks!
dracokaos

PostPosted: Tue May 19 15 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now your starting to scare me.....Thats almost exactly the same process I did and its still on the smoker. I guess we will see how it works in a few hours

cheers
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue May 19 15 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the ring Canadian Smoker, looking forward to seeing some pics of your cooks. Smile
Don't give up. Very Happy
You said you brought the brisket to an internal temp of 203° then let it rest.
Was the brisket probe tender at this point? Meaning could you take a toothpick and poke the brisket and have the toothpick release with no pull?
I have brought prime briskets to 205° internal only to find they were not cooked tender yet. I bring all my briskets to 210° and let them rest till the internal temp is around 160° the rest usually takes about 3 hours.
My advice in the future is ramp your temps to around 250°, wrap or pan with your broth at around 165° internal and let the middle flat portion carry 205° then check for tenderness. If the toothpick grabs let it cook another 5° then check again.
i hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Canadian Smoker

PostPosted: Tue May 19 15 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
Welcome to the ring Canadian Smoker, looking forward to seeing some pics of your cooks. Smile
Don't give up. Very Happy
You said you brought the brisket to an internal temp of 203° then let it rest.
Was the brisket probe tender at this point? Meaning could you take a toothpick and poke the brisket and have the toothpick release with no pull?
I have brought prime briskets to 205° internal only to find they were not cooked tender yet. I bring all my briskets to 210° and let them rest till the internal temp is around 160° the rest usually takes about 3 hours.
My advice in the future is ramp your temps to around 250°, wrap or pan with your broth at around 165° internal and let the middle flat portion carry 205° then check for tenderness. If the toothpick grabs let it cook another 5° then check again.
i hope this helps. Very Happy

Thanks K.A.M

I will take that advice. Frustrating but I will give it another shot. FYI I left the thermometer in for the whole cook and just pulled once it hit 203F

Thanks!
Beertooth
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue May 19 15 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
Don't give up.

Some of the best advice to give.

Try, try again!

Eat your mistake, take notes, move on.

Make sure that your thermometers are calibrated!
18.5" WSM (Stoked)
22.5" WSM
85 Gallon UDS
Weber Smokey Joe/Mini WSM
Cast Iron Cookware
24" Disc Cooker
Masterbuilt 40" Electric
Char-Griller Akorn
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 19 15 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beauty of the probe / poke / toothpick test is no calibration is needed for this simple pass / fail test. Cool

Think of the thermometers in this fashion.

The pit temperature like the speedometer in your vehicle tells you how fast you're going somewhere.

The food temperature like the vehicle's odometer tells you how far you've traveled.

But neither instrument tells you when you've reached your destination nor the route you took.

Not a perfect analogy, but a hopefully relateable one.
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 21 15 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

necron 99 wrote:
The beauty of the probe / poke / toothpick test is no calibration is needed for this simple pass / fail test. Cool

Think of the thermometers in this fashion.

The pit temperature like the speedometer in your vehicle tells you how fast you're going somewhere.

The food temperature like the vehicle's odometer tells you how far you've traveled.

But neither instrument tells you when you've reached your destination nor the route you took.

Not a perfect analogy, but a hopefully relateable one.

Thats pretty solid right there. once i figured out that the probe tender test is my BEST friend while cooking, the quality of my food got MUCH better. Some briskets may need to come off at 190 and some at 210. they are all different but the probe never lies. Also be sure to have the meat probe in the correct place or check several places.

Modified ECB
UDS
BRBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 21 15 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoe leather, Wow that's almost hard to believe at those temps, are you sure your thermometers are accurate?
mactoo
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 23 15 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you getting your brisket and what is the price?
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat May 23 15 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probe tender is always the last line of defense. I would also be concerned about the accuracy of the thermometer. Was it checked/calibrated?
30" Masterbuilt Digital
UDS (Named Uddley by Mrs K.C.)
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!
Chef
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 24 15 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KAM has some great advice. Normally your temps are spot on. But if you get there and it does not probe tender you keep going. The temp probe should slide in like a hot knife going into butter. Now I had a buddy, Double Barrel Smokers that bought a high dollar brisket. He cooked it and hit temps just like you did and that thing never got tender. He smoked it for a few extra hours and it stayed tough, so it does happen even with $100 briskets. Like the other guys said don't give up.
EastTennQcrew
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 25 15 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ask a few dumb questions. Did you slice the meat 90 degrees to the grain?
And after you sliced it did you try to pull it apart. And if you did what kind of results did you have.
Maybe it just needed to be left on a little longer.

RandyE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: