FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maybe opening a new joint-Smoker Input

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fireman_pete
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 12 15 5:23 am    Post subject: Maybe opening a new joint-Smoker Input Reply with quote

We have been operating a very successful catering company the last several years. The catering was a part time thing as I had a full time job. Well the full time employment is changing due to a "re-org" and so we are looking at the idea of opening a restaurant.

In regards to a smoker, I was sold that when we opened a place, I would use a Ole Hickory rotis unit like a SSL. However, I am now considering maybe getting TWO Ole Hickory CTO DW units, versus one large rotis cooker.

My thoughts are that I have two units versus one, if something was to break, I always have a back-up and the ability cook at two different temps (if needed)

I would love to get the feedback from those who currently operate a restaurant, and what would you do.

Thanks again!

Pete
Pete's Firehouse BBQ
-Award Winning BBQ, Catering & Spice Rubs
www.petesfirehousebbq.com
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 12 15 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back up plan is always a good idea and with smaller units you can keep your costs down on slower days if needed. You can always grow when necessary and as money becomes available. You also can cook around the clock until you have the finances to up size. If the money is available consider one of each. Look for used first! Many folks buy new and fail. Unfortunately this creates an opportunity for a shrewd businessman.

Last edited by qfanatic01 on Thu May 14 15 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
RodinBangkok
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 13 15 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a strictly business perspective, I've always started business very conservatively on capital equipment, then as you are satisfied that the equipment in fact fits your need you can expand from there.
In most cases two of something smaller is better that one large unit, especially if your new to that particular equipment, and also new to the business your in.
I'd opt for one small smoker, being conservative with your capital money, then if things start to pop for you get a second, perhaps larger, perhaps the same, perhaps even a different type smoker.
I've seen so many people go nuts with their full capital money in the beginning only to have it come up for sale later, as their core business plan never worked properly and they were left with a ridiculous amount of oversized equipment that they probably would not have used to capacity in a year if their business had taken off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: