FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looks like I'm opening up my own place...need Oyler help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grills Gone Wild
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 01 15 9:58 am    Post subject: Looks like I'm opening up my own place...need Oyler help Reply with quote

Back story is I was going to partner up last spring with someone to open up a BBQ place, but it didn't work out. I have now been unemployed for 7 months and have looked at many places to open up my own place but I don't want to go into heavy debt in building out a BBQ restaurant. This past week I got word that a BBQ place has mismanaged funds and the place is being taken over by the landlord. It has been offered to me to step in and take over with only taking over the lease. Going to go over all the last details early next week (both of us are busy this weekend).
So with this place is an Oyler 700 but I have never cooked on one and would like some advice. I know they are one of the best restaurant smokers you can get.
I know that it will just take fire management time with the smoker to get use to it, but the first thing I'm trying to figure out is can it be set up for overnight cooks. I'm going to be on a shoe string budget so I don't want to have an employee have to come in the middle of the night to just tend to the fire if I don't have to.
Any advice will be appreciated.
1MoreFord
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 01 15 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard Oylers like slightly less well seasoned wood than most folks normally cook with and that you need Large pieces of wood compared to the accepted norms. This is strictly hearsay though.

The best advice I may be able to offer is to contact Danny (gone brain dead on his last name) at Danny's Place. He's cooked on them for years.

http://m.mainstreethub.com/dannysplace#

He's been in the BBQ biz for years and from what I've seen one of the good guys.
smokin Jim
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 01 15 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is Danny Gaulden and he has sold Danny's Place a little over a year ago. However the new owner, Tim, had worked for years for Danny and knows the Oyler as well as anyone. I am sure if you were to contact him he would help you out.
VC5007 gasser
KCBS CBJ
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat May 02 15 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Oylers like fresh cut, water bubbling out the ends of full logs wood.

DO NOT use seasoned wood, or small splits, that pit will belch black smoke at you all day long if you use seasoned wood or small splits in it. Use the biggest logs you can fit in that firebox.

The round concrete firebox reflects heat back into the fuel, I have seen tops of logs instantly combust from the reflected heat just as fast as the bottom touching the coals lights up.

Overnight cooks; No problem. I see up to 14 hour burn times in summer weather. -30F temps is a different story, as is having every single rack filled to capacity, you may see 8 hours once the pit is up to temp.

Get an IR thermo, and check wall temps at the temperature probe for the controller, the older controllers liked to go out of spec easily, the newer UE controllers hold calibration better IMO.

I run my pit at 200 degrees at the mid level, up top you'll see temps well above 300F, and at the bottom they will be considerably lower. And I believe that is what makes them work so well.
Grills Gone Wild
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 05 15 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry - What cook times are you getting on a brisket setting it to that temp?
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed May 06 15 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grills Gone Wild wrote:
Harry - What cook times are you getting on a brisket setting it to that temp?

I do an extended hold time on my briskets, So I do not cook them until servable. But if I did, I am seeing less than 10 hours
Grills Gone Wild
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 15 15 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've built a couple of fires so far and one test cook. There was a remodel done to the building last year and I think it messed up the air pressure because when opening the doors with the evac on, their is a slight draft coming into the building rather than air being pulled out of the building. On the test cook, I had one rack of baby backs and one rack of spares. According to J&R and another pitmaster that uses an Oyler, the spares should only take 3 hours. Well, I had to leave at the four hour mark and that is when I pulled them. They weren't done to the tenderness needed. Probably needed about another 30 minutes. The baby backs were perfect in that time, but I plan on doing spares. So not sure if the airflow is messed up or what, but I'm going to do another run on it tomorrow.
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 15 15 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't cook my spares for an hour more than my backs
Grills Gone Wild
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 16 15 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cranked the temp set up to 275 and that seems to be where I can get the spares done in around 3 hours. I used an infrared temp laser and in the middle of the cooker it was showing temps below the 250 when I had the temp set at that degree. It was around 220.
Next thing to tackle is the front doors as I'm seeing smoke coming out of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: