FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

promoter with no soul

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27 15 6:27 pm    Post subject: promoter with no soul Reply with quote

Traveled almost 400 miles to central Iowa for - and I quote " Central Iowa BREWS, CRUISE and BBQ". It was the first two back to back KCBS BBQ competitions, with the next two being held in Appleton Wi.
Pull in and promoter [ KCBS rep ] informs me he cancelled the bands.....
Next day 2 cars pull up to our spot and ask who they should talk to for the car show...I point to the building promoter is in and they go in....come out 2 min later FUMING because he cancelled the car show and beer tent due to wind....Yes, it was windy...It is Iowa, it usually is!! Rains / storms had passed, 29 more cars from that club were in route!! THEY has no issue with wind!
Entire event turns into BBQ competition only...."Dont be sad, cuz 2 out of 3 aint bad", 1 out of 3 is a complete failure....!
We spent more in gas than we grossed in 3 days....
Had people coming from town asking where the bands are beer where [ HUGE facility...100 acres??] as it was still posted as such on many websites etc.
No names shared here, but beware of a certain KCBS rep from the area.....I could go on for pages with contradictions from this guy...Nice guy face to face, but totally full of chit!!!
I am very active with Wisconsin BBQ society and competitors, many who are now close friends, who got me in contact with the Iowa event and "promoter"....I hold ZERO contempt for The Wi. BBQ society OR any Competitors from Iowa or this event as a whole! We actually got more apologies about the event as a whole from just about every competitor on the site, also inserting many issues they had with the event - NONE having to do with weather! We also received more in our tip jar from feeding competitors than we did feeding the public, feeding competitors mainly breakfast, most walk in's simply left - some buying food, but very few...Why hang out in an empty facility with ZERO activities for those who came to party and meet BBQ'ers??!! Not a beer for sale on the premises...Were they supposed to mooch of the competitors???
promoter also asked me if I would heat up the free breakfast they would be putting out in the mornings...knowing full well I cook breakfast [for sale], for the competitors, and knew they were well aware of this......canned sausage gravy over biscuits....THANKFULLY most ended up in dumpster! Did I mention he owns a brick n mortar in Ames, "home style" is part of the name...I'm sure the food is just great there too!
On a high note of the weekend, we did have 2 Ringers travel quite a ways, one from Nebraska - Jeff T. and one from an hour North - Robert D. GREAT meeting you guy's face to face!! Just wish I was in a better mood!!!!
$4,000.00 vacation in central Iowa. [ closed 2 days at regular spot, gas, paying employee [[ called 2 and told them NOT to come!!]] tossing "held" meats etc.] ..sitting in a empty [ of people ] field covered in buildings all the beer and bands could have set up in......Competitors spread over about 40 acres [ TOTAL failure even there!!] tripping circuits and searching for water spigots...We were all told water and power at every site....
This site is not just for telling success stories, of which I have many - this was our biggest loss ever.....Most of this post is being forwarded to KCBS with exact details. Have a nice day mr "promoter", you have lost ALL credibility in my book, most competitors minds, and hopefully the KCBS pulls your credentials.You have zero credibility.
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27 15 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a bad experience as well this weekend, a festival that we have done for 8 years suddenly went south. After years of 4 food vendors and being in the city park,this event moved to the county fair grounds. The start of the downfall was 3 year's ago with the addition of another BBQ vendor. But the move to the fairgrounds brought the food vendor total to 16 and with fewer people? Needless to say we pulled out a day early and won't be back, too bad because we really made a lot of friends there over the years.
Wells Cargo 20' Concession Trailer w/porch 24"
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28 15 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry to hear this, we have had a few doozies over the years to be sure. My last of that magnitude was Blues Fest in 2005. I prevent most of it these days by getting things in writing- which might have helped Jim but would not have helped you. First annual or no track record idiots I automatically say no to these days.
Smoldering Coals
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28 15 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate event.
loafy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29 15 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the "outdoor show" we did in march. We outsold every vendor there 4-1 and we still lost our ass.
RodinBangkok
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29 15 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's too bad, I suspect if you dig into this that guy was using wind as a smoke screen for a bigger issue, but that's probably not worth the time.
That guys is a candidate for a black list over here, you get put on one and its hard to get off and people use them pretty religiously here.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30 15 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some checking as the week went on...He blamed the car club for cancelling, they said heck no! They had cars in route!
On an up note, we took the BBQ wagon to the spot we normally take the new rig - beautiful sunny warm day, sold almost TWICE what our top sales have been at that location to date!!! Man, did I need THAT!!!! THEN, our regular spot for the past 4 years, we broke our sales record by about $350.00!!!!
Off to the second leg of this quad competition tonight - Appleton Wi is only 1.5 hrs up the road, and we actually have a bit of a following in the area to begin with, my Son lives there and has been pimping us and the Comp on his twitter and FB to all his 2k+ friends, so I am confident we wont have the same sob story come Sunday night!
Thanks for your support guy's!! I REALLY needed it!!
This same - so called promoter, will be there as the KCBS rep...cant wait to have another little talk with him Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Homegrown

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30 15 11:10 pm    Post subject: promoter with no soul Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your experience in Iowa. I know the promoter from my years competing in the KCBS. I feel your pain !!! Back when I was competing the KCBS reps & promoters were seperate which may have helped someone in your position. Wish I'd realized your were in Boone: i'm less than an hour away & would have enjoyed meeting you.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed May 06 15 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, this same guy was the KCBS rep this past weekend....every time he would drive by our rig , with a nice line Wink , he would say "better weather, hey Tony" to which I would reply "better promoter".....
Time to move forward, never going back to one of his events in Iowa - but getting several call's now from gig's in Iowa!! Wink Cool Cool Cool
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 10 15 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great meeting you Tony! Awesome brisket by the way! Doreen & I was just sick about your deal. Hope your next trip to theses parts are better. We had a $48 dollar car show vend one time also, cancelled band and beer tent deal too. Really makes a guy loose his cookies that's for sure. Learn a lot about people and how to read them from deals like this.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon May 11 15 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great meeting the two of you also!! Thanks for making the trek just to watch me waller in my misery Confused Embarassed Crying or Very sad
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 12 15 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the circumstances we thought you took it quite well. Very Happy I`d have been on the guys ass most of the day. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: