FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Food Truck Build

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smoldering Coals
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21 15 9:19 am    Post subject: My Food Truck Build Reply with quote

After many debates with my wife I decided to buy a food truck instead of a trailer. I wanted the BBQ porch trailer and wife wanted the truck.
After searching for the last month for a truck, we finally found one we like and picked it up today. It is a 2001 Workhorse with a 18' box and 27' overall length. It is just a few inches over 7' tall inside.

What it looked like inside before I did anything.

Last edited by Smoldering Coals on Tue Apr 21 15 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Smoldering Coals
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21 15 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 1 Beside picking up the truck, I took out some shelves on the drivers side. I loaded it up with equipment I had already bought at an auction. Still playing with the design.

I the 3 compartment sink, hand wash sink and (2) 27" prep tables on the drivers side before the wheel well. Future cooking equipment will likely go on over wheel well. Got the beverage fridge next to the shelves.

The duck tape on the wall is where we are thinking of putting windows. Still not sure and not really sure about the 48" under counter refrigerator. Planning on building a wall 6' from the back to separate my corn roaster and smoker from the serving area.

RodinBangkok
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21 15 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big truck, looks good so far. From my experience, we have to keep things very organized as we don't have the luxury of so much space, but you might want to think about having only one window. They take up a lot of your valuable space, and also in many instance will require more people on board to fully man them. I prefer to reserve that space for expansion of equipment, and work with only one opening for service.
Just from my point of view, many can argue for two windows also.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21 15 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We run 2 windows side by side - one says order here, the other says pick-up. This REALLY helps keep the lines moving during rush's and festivals!
Nice clear space to work with!! Do yourself a favor by wiring each outlet to its own 20 amp breaker! A large electrical panel and 12ga. wire is a cheap investment vs constantly tripping breakers and potentially losing product if this occurs overnight on a fridge etc. Hoodmart.com was the best deal I found on a hood - they have a food truck package, available in many lengths. Yes, the unseen parts of hood are not SS, but much lighter than a full S.S. unit - and weight will become an issue at some point. Lose the wheels on your equipment - if you dont have the original legs, 1/2" galvanized pipe and flanges work well!! I used 10" legs made of these to clear my wheel wells on trailers.
Dont forget to reserve a spot to build in your generator! Hauling them darn things in and out is a real pain!!
Looking forward to watching this come together!!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
jon407

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22 15 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on pulling the trigger. I'm really looking forward to following your progress. Best of luck.
Smoldering Coals
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28 15 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowly been working on the truck for a few hours after work.

Installed 3 lights on the ceiling.

I picked up 2 36"x36" slider windows.

I cut the nailing fins off.

Framed out the window with 1"x1" aluminum square tubing.

Used a crap load of rivets and brackets to hold everything together.

View of the windows from the inside.

Started building the wall to separate the smoker and corn roaster from the rest of the truck.
Installing a basic 36" screen door.

My new electric water heater and shurflo on demand water pump showed up today.
Still waiting on my 40 gallon waste tank.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: