FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So Let's Talk About the "Inner Circle"
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17 15 7:07 pm    Post subject: So Let's Talk About the "Inner Circle" Reply with quote

In the "Where Has Everyone Gone" post I noticed it was mentioned more than once from newb and newer Ringers about the "inner circle" or cliques of Ringers on the forum.

I'm guilty as charged.

When I think about my viewing habits currently on the Ring I can easily see why new Ringers feel the way they do. I don't spend no where near the time I used to on the Smoke Ring. So, when I do come I tend to gravitate toward those posters that I know. Or, if someone I do not know posts something unique and different I will for sure take a look. But I tend to lurk these days rather than interact.

This year marks seven years on the Ring for me. I have built up some truly wonderful relationships with these guys. I have broken bread with a number of these guys in their home. I have had countless phone calls with many of these guys. I have even caught a much bigger fish than Whitey on a fishing trip. I have received many many gifts in the mail from ringers and sent a lot too. So these guys are comfortable and known.

Some of us remember "the good ole days" here when it was a very lively cast of characters. We truly miss that.

Honestly, I guess I have forgotten what it is like to be new here. So if you are a newb or newer please give it a go again and jump in with both feet.

I will try and be a better BOTP (Brother of the Pig). I just made that up. Very Happy

What are thoughts from newbs and newer Ringers? And old guys can jump in as well.

I guess what I'm rambling about it let's give each other a break and start afresh. Make sense? Deal.

--jeepdad

Last edited by jeepdad on Tue Mar 17 15 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17 15 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going on year 5 makes me an "old guy" in soo many ways... Embarassed and a guy who likes to ramble on to TRY to be clear w/o offending or starting a flame war Shocked I have backed off a bit in this section as I am a supposed "pro" doing this BBQ thing full time Confused I will ramble a bit....[ oh, and I use far too many of these [......] for "proper" English....
I started off kinda gun-ho with posting when I didnt know near as much as I thought I did, BUT, that got me some responses fron some of the then "inner circle" that not only knocked my schnoze out of alignment, but also made me listen to some voices of reason a bit closer- which is how this became a full time gig for me!!
Ringers like Harry, KAM, CB, TB, and a host of other lmnop's put me on this path of self destruction Laughing and sleepless nights! Have met a few on the road, in our travels etc. I find it really cool to have a Ringer walk up to our rig and say - "I know you from the Ring, I am "X" " even invited one or two to our house if ever in the neighborhood!
Here too, lots of PM's and phone calls setting up others to become what many would call my "competition" in the vending world [ yes, a few within 100 miles of my house ] BUT I am one of those who feel obligated to share what I have learned, mostly here, with others. Be it here or face to face! Steering people here is just the right thing to do IMHO.
I know I have backed off a bit in this section, but surely creep it, tossing in a comment or 3 when I can, and stealing idea's for our daily operations Wink Embarassed
Not sure just how to get the newbie creepers to post, but sure do want to encourage it! We forget it IS good to hear "nice smoke ring" etc. as we may have typed it a thousand times before, maybe we need to make it 200000000!!
Thanks for posting this Jeepdad, sorry for the once again droning on and repeating myself..lol and for all these...................................................................

Alrighty then "new guy's and Gal's" Chime in, I know I will be creeping this for your thoughts!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17 15 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Tony's BBQ wrote:
We forget it IS good to hear "nice smoke ring" etc. as we may have typed it a thousand times before, maybe we need to make it 200000000!!

Tony, many good points brother and thanks for the reminder of the statement above. Tru dat! Good words from a wayward Packer fan. Go REDSKINS!

--Dan
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17 15 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years I have seen many folks come and go.
In the last few years I have noticed more and more new members sometimes do not take advice well.
They interpret our advice as criticism and when they respond to our advice in such a way that it raises eyebrows on folks we are close to is when the attacks start back and forth.

I had one new member even start a thread wanting to know how many folks felt like I thought it should be my way or it was just wrong.I did not feel that was warranted because I even answered several questions for him. Most folks here on the ring have told me I am probably the most patient person they know as far as helping folks with either builds or cooks.

My Good Friend Paul Shirley said it best in that thread when he said if you are looking for a yes Man then k.a.m. isn't your best option but I will give you solid advice on your question, it is up to you whether or not you listen.

I will continue to give my advice on threads when questions are asked, but I have also started to back away from threads where I feel my posts are falling on deaf ears or the person just wants to read "Yeah that is a great idea try it and let us know how it works." You see I know that this hobby of cooking and building is not cheap and when I post in a way that some may consider a negative response it is because I have either tried something like it or know someone that has and it failed.
Please do not mistake my posts as negative because I am all about trying new things when I have the funds to do it or the material to waste. But when you are putting a cooker together on a shoestring budget, in my opinion that is not a good time to try new ideas. Instead you might want to build what works the first time around.
For those that know me understand me, the new folks either do or do not. For those that choose not to take my advice or other seasoned members I simply move on.

I am sure there is more to explain so if anyone cares to ask my thoughts on something pertaining to my post here I will gladly try to answer the best way I know how.

Hybrid Cooker
gandrfab
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17 15 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might not be much different, I'm a member of http://forums.floridasportsman.com/forum.php same screen name.
Many of us know each other, get together, do business, PARTY and eat very well when we do.
Heck we even have a spin off forum that we regroup on.
Most of our "Inner Circle" are the over achievers, the others just have to much free time.

We are rather polite on the Fl sportsman, the spinoff forum not so much.
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17 15 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks kam good words my friend.

Thanks gandrfab your response is appreciated.

I hope others will comment. If you think I or Tony or kam are off base, tell us. We can take it and it will be better for the Ring in the long run. Thanks

--Dan
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17 15 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All great points guys.......I have been hanging around here for 8 years now and some members many more.
When you spend that much time talking to members,literally posting hundreds of pics,and starting hundreds of threads
to share your bbq experience with everyone,you do tend to make some friends in the forum you spend so much time in.

I really think that once the new members start to post more they will feel a lot more comfortable here.
I really feel there is no inner circle here on the Ring.....just some guys that have made personal friends through meetings,and phone calls.

I will always offer help to people here whenever they ask me...no matter how long or many posts they have made.
I have people that PM for info all the time
that hardly ever make a post here....but I still share anything I have to offer.

Any new members that think there is an Inner Circle here
you are wrong...this is the best run,and friendliest BBQ site on the net......
C'mon and hang out everyone....spend some time on the Ring.
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
gandrfab
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17 15 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every large member group needs a core group of people to keep the place together.
I have no want to be a Mod on a forum the size of this or the Fl sportsman.
I'v been on the FL S since 2002, have meet many great people and got my fair share of work from it.

I don't know about here, to be in the in crowed on FL S is a little tricky, you have to be able to dish out a little razzing and take it when it comes back at you.
Edgar214

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17 15 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a "newb" I rarely ever post. I've PM a few times mainly to kam so I could get his expertise in modifying my smoker.
I read the forum almost daily and marvel in ya'lls creativity in smoking just about anything edible.
I don't feel intimated by the core of more experienced members, just don't know what I could possibly add.
Hell I'm here to learn.
I've changed the way I smoke a brisket a half a dozen times in the past couple of years. I taken some knowledge from each one of you.
Also changed the quality of meat that I buy.
This because of the unique "core" of forum old-timers.
Thanks to all
Mike
Sgt. Stel
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18 15 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: So Let's Talk About the "Inner Circle" Reply with quote

jeepdad wrote:

I will try and be a better BOTP (Brother of the Pig). I just made that up. Very Happy

--jeepdad

That is friggin awesome! BOTP I might have to mod my signature to include that (crediting JeepDad)

S/F bro

Sgt. Stel
Custom Offset - USMC Special "Sarge"
T&K Gravity Feed, Medium
Rayzer
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18 15 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a member for a few years. Mostly just lurk. I don't take the time to take pictures, and consequently haven't posted any cooks. And honestly, if ya don't have pictures, then how can I appreciate your cooks, or you appreciate mine? What's that old saw? you taste first with your eyes, then your nose, and finally your mouth. I'm sure I knocked up that old saying but you get my drift. Pictures are important. And posting them should be easier, IMHO.

Regarding an "inner circle".. Well, There are certainly those who post more than I do, get together more than I do, certainly cook more than I do, and it sure looks better than my cooks. Laughing Outside of this forum, I gravitate to the people I know and am most comfortable with. I expect that is similar here.

One of the things that make me sometimes feel on the outside, is that many of you refer to each other by first names as opposed to your author names. So you clearly know each other. and when I'm half way through a post, and someone refers to a previous poster's comments by referring to their first name, I get lost (which post is being referred to?), and somewhat get that outsider feeling.

But, really I'm not complaining at all. I'm just trying to shed some light what I'm feeling occasionally, and maybe what others are as well.

That said, unless I'm told to go elsewhere, this is my BBQ home on the web.

Hi. My name is Ray and I'm a BBQ addict.
Weber Kettle
Liar #34. Honest!
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18 15 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hi. My name is Ray and I'm a BBQ addict." Well put Rayzer Cool
I think we all have that problem here ... I remember my first post and said to myself am I going to fit in here. Well I guess I feel like one of the crowd....not that 4 1/2 years is very long but I like the way every one helps one another threw good times and bad. I do miss some of the guys that moved on but we can not tell what life is going to throw at us. I have many friends that never joined this site but come to work or gatherings and tell me they found a great recipe or a new way to make sausage so I guess I am going to have to ask them if it was because of the inner circle or some other reason...my guess would be another reason. I think we are all grown men and women that just want to have fun ,learn ,help ,be helped when needed, razz when a razzing is needed, get razzed when deserved. ECT. You get my point. I think SoEzzy does a great job keeping us going .
With the upgrade it should be easier for us and him to bring life back to whirlwind status.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18 15 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Maniac.

The biggest thing that it takes for folks to keep things going IMO, is to keep things going, if you do a cook, post a cook, if you go to a new or old BBQ joint post about that, if there's a new recipe, cooker technique, cigar, car gun, experience, post about them too, (in the appropriate sections please).

There will always be a place that doesn't move at anything like the speed that FB or Twitter do, for the process of a cooker build, or chasing the perfect rub etc.

I still work here!
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18 15 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good points, and we really need the input of some newer guys (say less than a year on here) to get their input as to whether they perceive an 'Inner Circle' is a plus or minus to them posting. This board is no different than most others in that there are guys who have been on forever and personally know other members, so they don't 'get' the razzing and inside jokes between them. I've been on here almost 5 years and have felt welcomed from day 1. I've met a few members and have talked to many more. I still talk to a couple of guys who aren't on here anymore. They have their own reasons.

SoEzzy wrote:
if you do a cook, post a cook

It goes back to posting pics being a MAJOR PITA. Our 27yo son loves to cook and I tried to get him to join this board. He said it's great, but it's so archaic it's not worth his time to try to post pics. He sends me pics of things he's cooked all the time, but if he wants to post here, he has to d/l them to a computer, then Photobucket, resize, then d/l here. He's of that generation where media is seamless between devices. If he can start a post, tap a button and the pic is downloaded instantly, then he's interested, otherwise it's onto the next thing. I'm on other boards where it's exactly like that and that's the reason I rarely post pics, even though I cook constantly. If I'm cooking something new and cool, I'll grab the camera and then think about the PITA factor of posting here, so I'll maybe snap one pic just for me. I know this subject has been beat to death, but it's true, and can't be stressed enough.

JMO

EDIT - And I just got a great manual on meat cutting, circa 1943, from the US War Dept that I'd love to post, but it's 70 pages long and it would take me 2 hours to scan and post. I just don't have that much 'FO Time' Laughing
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.

Last edited by BUGSnBBQ on Wed Mar 18 15 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18 15 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGSnBBQ wrote:
I'll grab the camera and then think about the PITA factor of posting here, so I'll maybe snap one pic just for me. I know this subject has been beat to death, but it's true, and can't be stressed enough.
JMO

Everytime I read things about posting pics here....It just makes me laugh.....Everything is preset....I post hundreds of pics here with no problems at all....
I really dont know what you guys are doing to make it so hard on yourself.........set it and forget it. Very Happy
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18 15 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Bacon wrote:
BUGSnBBQ wrote:
I'll grab the camera and then think about the PITA factor of posting here, so I'll maybe snap one pic just for me. I know this subject has been beat to death, but it's true, and can't be stressed enough.
JMO

Everytime I read things about posting pics here....It just makes me laugh.....Everything is preset....I post hundreds of pics here with no problems at all....
I really dont know what you guys are doing to make it so hard on yourself.........set it and forget it. Very Happy

I have thousands of pics (Seriously - My wife will take a pic of a crack on the sidewalk Laughing ) on a cloud for friends and family to see, but any pics I want to post here I have to have a separate Photobucket account for them due to the size requirements. I don't want all my pics resized, so the ones posted here have to be separate and that's twice the work.
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18 15 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear all the size comments, but even the description, and a link to a FB page, or a blog is still another post here! Wink Laughing Wink

I still work here!
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18 15 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once apon a time 30 yrs. ago when I married my better half, her parents were members of the Moose Lodge. So to keep peace in the family I joined. For 3 yrs. I felt like a outsider. Rolling Eyes Then the cliché realized I could do some things, like build floats for the parades, sound systems for the lodge, or cook jumbo for two hundred, ( THAT was a challenge ). All of a sudden, I , me, was a member of the "CLICHE'. I am not one of the most prolific members here or even one of the most popular, but I do feel a part of the community. Just be part and don't worry about which part. As a wise man once said JUST SAY'N.....
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18 15 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Bacon Wrote:

"I really feel there is no inner circle here on the Ring.....just some guys that have made personal friends through meetings,and phone calls."

First Off-Thank You Dan...Okay...JeepDad. Razz ...For Putting this topic up. Cool This gives some of us "Old Timers" ( Shocked Laughing ) an opportunity to jump in ( Laughing ) and voice our opinion, especially on the subject of (OMG!) The Inner Circle. Shocked

Rick-(Canadian Bacon) Hit the Bullseye as can be read above in my first paragraph. IMHO, that pretty much puts it Short and Sweet...Thank You For That, C.B. Cool

As for this Forum's progression, I would welcome any forward steps toward making posting pics and search efforts
quick and simple! Wink

So, Bring It On , New Comers and Lurkers...Live and Learn From The Folk ( No, Not Me!Laughing ) Who Made These Forum Pages What They Are Now! Wink

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
zski
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18 15 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now that I have you all here... Are you foilers or non-foilers? Fat cap up or down? And last question, which Thermapen is the fastest? Thanks, Zski.

Traeger 075
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: