FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chicherone's / cracklins / pork rinds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19 15 6:43 am    Post subject: Chicherone's / cracklins / pork rinds Reply with quote

Anyone here do any version of these? Was at my Hog guy today and asked about pig skin....They sold me a 60# case for about $33.00....$0.57 / lb for pork belly skin, has a nice amount of fat and some meat still attached! Now that I have deep fryers, I figured I'd give em' a whirl as many have asked for them over the years! I plan on slicing into strips and deep frying, hitting with a little dust or adobo seasoning....any input appreciated, even how long I should be looking to fry them....new to me Wink

Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
RodinBangkok
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19 15 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite that easy, you need to boil them first, then dehydrate them, then fry. I played with it, but on a commercial basis it takes a big dehydrator area.

We buy all our primal cuts skin on so we get a lot of skin. We render the fat off in a slow oven to make lard for biscuits, then pop the skins in cast iron pans and continue till they are very dried out.

Makes great dog snacks that go to our pet shelter, just too many to use ourselves.

For the lard we sieve the hot lard, let it cool till room temp but still liquid then pour it into a tapered container with about an inch of water in the bottom, any remaining solids will sink, then place that in the fridge, when set you can cut the solid lard, scrap and dry the bottom surface repackage, freezes forever.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19 15 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup boil, dry, then deep fat fryer, but don't overload when you put hem in the fryer, start small amounts as it "explodes" size wise, better not to put too much in and have to do another batch than blown up all out of the fryer.

I still work here!
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19 15 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen countless versions, many of which were to simply fried in a cast iron vat until fully rendered, even simply until crisp...My thoughts were pre-cooking in vat on stove, or even oven, even deep fryer...then finishing in the deep fryer to order....possibly even smoking until rendered, cooled, then again deep frying to order.........If dudes in the woods of Georgia can make them behind the barn on a turkey fryer base, I know I can in my mobile commercial kitchen!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
RodinBangkok
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19 15 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fluffy crisp texture can be difficult to achieve without a very controlled uniform process. That lightness is a function of both boiling time and the level of dryness. The frying part is really a no brainer.
These are very popular here in Thailand, but the best ones are made sun dried up north in the cooler areas.
They puff because they have been softened by boiling, and then dried to remove almost all the moisture, if they are wet they will not puff as well and you'll get a tougher almost rubbery product.

Like anything there are tricks to getting them just right, and we felt it was not worth the effort, as the customers know these and are very picky about their quality.

Perhaps its more cracklins your wanting to do, never made those, but do a nice baked pork belly that has the best cracklins on it.

Have fun playing!
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19 15 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years I've had many different versions, with meat, without meat, spiced or not, deep and shallow fried, boiled to render, rendered just by frying.

IMO the best I've had are boiled to render out the extra fat, then dehydrated just down to the point you can cut the fat or flesh with a thumb nail, then held until needed, and deep fat fried.

I've had them done this way with the skin of belly or back, including and free of meat, and all are better IMO for the fuller process, when they are made without the boiling to render that extra fat, they have tended to not be completely free of excess fat and either have a slight funkiness to either taste or mouth feel.

I still work here!
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19 15 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think these could these be par boiled,dried then frozen??? I have the facilities and space for the basic quantities I would do day to day roadside, but getting ahead of the game for festivals would be huge!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19 15 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I do think that would work well, the one thing I would do would be to freeze them on trays so they can be bagged and stay separate in the bags, you could go straight to the fryer from the bag in that way.

Practice before hand though, just to make sure... I love the ones with the crispy jerky like flesh on them.

I still work here!
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19 15 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently doing a near 100% protien diet, so practice I will!!! [ If I can get my oil defrosted....currently right around -20° in the breeze Crying or Very sad Embarassed ]
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19 15 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are suffering a 29% short fall in snow so far this year, and the weather is in the mid to high 40's, it says it feels like 51° at the moment.

I'd rather have 2' of snow on the ground!

I still work here!
RodinBangkok
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19 15 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Tony's BBQ wrote:
Do you think these could these be par boiled,dried then frozen??? I have the facilities and space for the basic quantities I would do day to day roadside, but getting ahead of the game for festivals would be huge!

You may not even need to freeze them, I think they will keep just fine after dehydrated, of coarse you'd need to test this, as I'm not absolutely sure. I think they sell them this way in some specialty grocery stores, but its been so many years I'm not sure anymore.
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19 15 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Cysco rep gave me some "pellets" I didn't check the price but I would think them to be inexpensive enough to vend. Not to mention no need to freeze or refrigerator.
Wells Cargo 20' Concession Trailer w/porch 24"
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19 15 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridge View BBQ wrote:
My Cysco rep gave me some "pellets" I didn't check the price but I would think them to be inexpensive enough to vend. Not to mention no need to freeze or refrigerator.

When I first mentioned this to my pig guy, they pointed me to their coolers...They make the "pellets" ready to go [ but do refrigerate ] I immediately thought they would be like eating gravel..lol..I want to do more along the lines of strips and puffs! I figure at $0.57 / lb it was worth experimenting!
Currently -18° w/o the breeze.....they will wait!!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21 15 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Tony's BBQ wrote:
Ridge View BBQ wrote:

When I first mentioned this to my pig guy, they pointed me to their coolers...They make the "pellets" ready to go [ but do refrigerate ] I immediately thought they would be like eating gravel..lol..I want to do more along the lines of strips and puffs! I figure at $0.57 / lb it was worth experimenting!
Currently -18° w/o the breeze.....they will wait!!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Be careful, before the restaurant I used to say that Winter was a good time to over plan and over think and over complicate our whole operation!
You have your menu locked down on your new trailer?
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23 15 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are working on some Tex-Mex, specialty BBQ related sammies, to a wine tasting gig where we will have lightly smoked duck confit among other "fancy" items with both rigs at same gig for many events! We are going to have some fun with this, changing the initial menu as needed to please our local base[s] until we can please most. If we cant have some fun and still make money, I'll sell it off or add a big smoker in place of the oven and grill....I dont expect to have it nailed down the first week, or month, but wont [usually] give up until we get it right! Now I have managed to also catch the BBQ competition bug....placing 9th yesterday competing against many of the top competitors in the state in a KCBS style [ non-sanctioned ] Chicken cookoff....Not enough hours in the day, but trying to fill every minute of each of them !! Wink Shocked Shocked Cool
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM

Last edited by Mr Tony's BBQ on Sun Aug 09 15 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23 15 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are very wise in Cross inventory your menu! I have a feeling your going to do well with the new unit.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24 15 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridge View BBQ wrote:
You are very wise in Cross inventory your menu! I have a feeling your going to do well with the new unit.

Time will tell on that....lol....I have 2 pages of legal size paper full of idea's to actually experiment on in the rig once it warms up a little here, I will have to get out the highlighter to both knock down the list and mark some for the "fancy " events...lol....
After making friends with a few food trucks at "rallies" over the past couple years, my ultimate goal is to come up with not just a great product / menu, but one we can crank out the window as quick as possible, hopefully as fast as we can serve BBQ....Most of the higher ticket options will take longer to prepare, some - such as the Duck, will be prepped in advance [ confit-ed..lol ] and quick saute'd to order, at big gig's it will be held hot - finding out just how long it will hold hot could get expensive!!I DO NOT like running out of anything, watching potential customers go to the next truck with my $10 bill!!!
Getting food to customer at events of any kind quickly yet properly is key from what I have lived and observed - watching some of my fellow food-truckers sales lag as they dont get return customers due to wait times - not the food itself!
I do have quite a bit of freezer space, so prepping these cracklin's [ and similar items ] soon and during slow times at events etc. will be a major help!
Big hopes and expectations has worked for me to date.....but over thinking is always on the top of my mind too.....I just hope I dont over think the over thinking Embarassed Embarassed Shocked
Thanks for the encouragement Bro!!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: