FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smothered Pork Roast over Rice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18 15 10:50 am    Post subject: Smothered Pork Roast over Rice Reply with quote

We had 8-10 inches of snowfall last night so this place is pretty much shut down today. Schools are closed, the Federal government is closed and the base is closed. So me and my Bride were shoveling snow his morning. Fortunately, it is the lite and fluffy kind of snow that is easily shoveled.

I took Boo out (brand new 16 year old driver) and gave her some pointers on driving in the snow. How, when in a slide you point the front tires in the direction you want the car to go. At one point I showed her how over compensating the steering wheel when sliding can make you do a 360 in the road….I think she saw her life flash in front of her!

Anyway my Bride had a good idea to invite several of the neighbors over for supper. But have them bring whatever they were planning on cooking for supper and we will hang out and end up with a smorgasbord of chow.

Here is our offering for the evening…

Started with a small six pound pork butt. Trying a new recipe from my favorite chef, Donald Link.

Nice looking pork butt.

Rubbed down with kosher salt and black pepper.

Grinding some of the spices up into finer pieces. I went to two grocery stores looking for fresh thyme and there was none to be had. So my Bride googled the conversion from a tablespoon of fresh thyme to dried thyme. Turns out it is three-quarter of a teaspoon dried to a tablespoon of fresh. Who knew!

Onions with the herbs and garlic.

They smelled so good I wanted to eat them raw.

Browning the meat in the big DO.

Onions mixed in with the roux.

Pig added into the onion roux mix.

All those nice bits of browning mixed in with the roux.

Ready for the lid and the oven. Suppose to baste and turn over every thirty mins. I know I will not do this, I never do, more likely I will do it every hour.

Not sure what everyone else is bringing but man ole man I can’t wait to try this.

About an hour and a half in….and boy is it smelling good.

Son, I pulled the roast out of the oven and man she smelled good. Since I couldn’t find a boneless pork roast at the store I just pulled this one instead of slicing and mixed everything together.

Served this over homemade smashed potatoes. It was a huge hit. Man it is good.

I pulled the roast out of the roux once it came out of the oven and simmered the sauce and added the juice from half a lemon…man oh man is it good.

Dessert was strawberries dipped in chocolate fondue.

I would highly recommend this meal it is simple yet so good. Over taters or rice or toast it is good.

--jeepdad

Smothered Pork Roast over Rice

This roast embodies the simple, not necessarily spicy, style of Cajun cooking (notice there is no cayenne). The stewing method for cooking meat is also used in several other Cajun dishes calling for venison, duck, rabbit, and chicken. Technically the preparation is an étouffée, which means “smothered,” but everyone in these parts favors the Southern term when used for larger cuts of meat swimming in onions and sauce. –Donald Link

Yield: 8 to 10 servings

Ingredients:

1 (6- to 7-pound) boneless pork roast (shoulder or butt)
Kosher salt
Ground black pepper
2 large onions, thinly sliced
8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
1 tablespoon dried rosemary, crumbled
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups chicken broth
Juice of 1/2 lemon (optional)
3 cups cooked rice

Method:

Preheat the oven to 275ºF.

Season the pork very generously with salt and pepper, rubbing the seasonings into the fat and flesh of the meat. Set the roast aside for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 hour at room temperature.

Combine the onions, garlic, thyme, and rosemary in a medium mixing bowl and toss to combine.

Heat the vegetable oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When the oil is very hot, sear the meat on all sides until deeply browned and crusty, 10 to 12 minutes total.

Transfer the meat to a plate, reduce the heat to medium, and then stir in the butter. When the butter has melted, stir in the flour to make a roux and continue to cook, stirring, until the roux turns a dark peanut butter color, about 10 minutes.

Add the onion mixture and cook, stirring, until all the ingredients are well coated and the mixture is thick. Whisk in the chicken broth and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Return the pork to the Dutch oven, spoon some of the onion mixture over the meat, cover and roast for about 3 hours, turning and basting the pork every 30 minutes or so, until the meat breaks apart when pressed gently with a fork.

At this point, you can serve the roast right out of the pan, or transfer it to a platter, then simmer the pan drippings, skimming off excess fat, until reduced by about one-third, or until it coats the back of a spoon. Add the lemon juice and taste for seasonings.

Before serving, sprinkle the roast with some additional salt. Serve the roast smothered with a generous amount of sauce and hot steamed rice.
pafisher
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18 15 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great snowy night dinner,,, looks awesome...
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18 15 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Dan.....that's a cold weather meal for sure. Very Happy
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19 15 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is some seriously stepped up sos...
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19 15 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I'm telling you that is some good eats right there. Give her a go sometime. And yep a great Winter meal.

--Dan
brutus1964
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20 15 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow Dan, as usual your meal looks awesome. I know it was great. Good Job once again.

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"- Henry Ford
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29 15 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, I must have slept through this post or something by just now seeing it. That looks like an awesome meal for sure brother. Bet that would be killer good over a camp fire Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: