FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trailer vs Pellet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
diehardlobo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17 15 4:51 am    Post subject: Trailer vs Pellet Reply with quote

I hope I am posting this in the correct space. Sorry if it is incorrect. I have been looking to get a new smoker. I've smoked on a walmart oklahoma joe's for a while which has been a good smoker for me. I've also smoked on one from Home Depot which got me by but not the best. Really thin metal. I kind of had my sights set on a Yoder pellet smoker YS640. However in searching I have seen quite a few trailer smokers on craigslist and such places. I know there is quite a differnce between the two. I like the idea of ease of use of the yoder. In looking at reviews it seems to be one of the best pellet smokers on the market. However, I like the trailer due to the fact I could use it to potentially make some extra cash, go tailgating, do competitions and so on. I would build my own but I don't know how to weld. If I get a trailer most likey it would be used. How do I know if it is a good build? Does it have to be licensed? I live in NM. What should I watch out for between the two? I'm sure there are other questions I am not thinking of right now. Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Sorry for the book.
xring01
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17 15 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First and foremost:

Establish your budget. Period...

Because your comments are really an apples and oranges comparison...

Once you have the budget figured out, then find the best that you can get in your budget and you will be happy..

If you really think you can just go out and buy a trailer smoker and set up a catering business, you will most likely get a very rude surprise. Its not that simple. Business License = $$$, Inspections = $$$, Permits =$$$, equipment= $$$$, more equipment =$$$$$, pain in the butt customers = $$$$$$... I can keep going... This cost alot of money..

All business's need a business plan, then all business's need a budget. With out either of those, your likely hood of success is quite low.

From what your telling us in the above post, you really dont have alot of experience with smoking meat. If that is true, then thats another major hurdle in your plan...

My advice, Get the best Backyard Smoker you can afford. Practice, Practice Practice... A good back yard smoker can easily be trailered to competitions, to hone your skill sets. If 9 out of 10 people who eat your creations, state you need to go into business yourself, then that might be a clue to start some of the above process's to create you Catering Business.

Again, thats my opinion.
fish&q
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17 15 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own both a stick burner an a FEC pellet cooker for pure ease of cooking the Yoder would be it. I like my FEC but it does not put out the same flavor as my stick burners especially my ribs. For long overnight cooks I use the FEC just because I don't like staying up all night anymore but it does a good job on butts, briskets and chicken. I do use it to cook certain cuts of beef too. You need to set your budget and go from there and figure out how much work you want to do.But what ever you decide to buy have fun cooking on it
Meadow Creek chicken cooker
Cory Hess
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17 15 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in a similar position earlier this year. I was looking to upgrade from my Char-Griller to either a more professionally built backyard smoker or a trailer smoker. Well, things got tight when we had to buy a new truck and I ended up building myself a UDS to get through until next year. I've only cooked on the UDS a couple of times, but I have to say that I'm definitely a convert. I'd still like to get a trailer in the near future, but for a back yard set and forget type of smoker I don't know how it could get much better than a UDS. I filled my basket with charcoal and chunks, took about 15 to 20 minutes to get it dialed in. Dropped in three racks of ribs and didn't touch the thing again until they were ready to get glazed. At the end of the cook it didn't look like it had used any fuel at all. I know that you were asking about pellet vs. trailer, but for how cheap a UDS is to build I'd suggest trying that out first. There's nothing to weld, you get that cool feeling that you built it yourself, it'll have the same benefits as the Yoder, and it is cheap enough that you can still get the trailer and have the best of both worlds.

Sorry if this is not the type of opinion that you were looking for, but I thought I should share another option.

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy."
diehardlobo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17 15 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate it. I probably gave the wrong impression as far as experience. I don't have any with trailers or pellets. With my little walmart and HD smokers I've smoked for about 7 years. I even came in 3rd in ribs at a comp a couple years ago. I've had several people say they won't eat ribs except for mine. Not saying that to brag just to respond about my experience. I'm still learning with brisket but have improved everytime I have done it. I have a buddy with a traeger and it really works nice. However, I 've seen some bad reviews on them. I have looked at the rec tec and GMG but the Yoder looks really nice to me. I am looking at spending in the 1500-2000 range. The yoder is around 1500 but it got me thinking that I could probably get a trailer for that price. I found several on craigslist. One in particular that I thought looked nice. However, I don't know the first thing to look for in a trailer. It would however be a lot easier moving the Yoder over the trailer and an easier cook. I like the idea of the UDS. I almost bought a WSM a few months ago, which I think is similar. i''ve seen some nice UDS in the 400 range. So that's kind of wear I stand at the moment. Leaning toward the Yoder. Thanks again for the replies. Keep em coming and happy smoking. Smile
Cory Hess
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17 15 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlobo wrote:
I like the idea of the UDS. I almost bought a WSM a few months ago, which I think is similar. i''ve seen some nice UDS in the 400 range.

From what I understand the UDS is just a homemade WSM. For a point of reference, I built my UDS for under $100 all in. That's where I was getting the idea that you could get the set and forget and the trailer without having to choose one or the other. That's the route I'm looking at myself. That way when it's just my family or a small gathering I can cook on the UDS, but when we have larger parties I can bust out the trailer. Don't mean to beat a dead horse, just wanted to clarify how cheaply a UDS can be done.

Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18 15 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just posted in the For Sale Section: http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68652

The price looks good.

I love helping spend other people's money. Mr. Green
diehardlobo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18 15 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cory, do you have any plans or a website i could look at on building the UDS? The ones I've seen for sale for 400 were powder coated really nice and could be done in colors I want. I'm not the most mechanically inclined guy in the world, so building my own sounds like I could screw a lot of things up. Confused However, I certainly would not be against giving it a try. Thanks for the help!
Cory Hess
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18 15 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything you need is right here on the ring. Wink

Here's the thread I made about my UDS:

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68571

Here's a sticky SoEzzy made about how he makes UDSs:

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49419

Here's another sticky from the Cookers Stickies section that has a lot of information from a bunch of different members:

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13224

I am not mechanically inclined at all. However, a UDS is almost fool proof. You basically just drill some holes in the bottom of a barrel, run some bolts in the top to hang a grill grate, and come up with a way to keep a fire in the bottom and a way to let smoke out the top. After a couple days of asking around I was able to score two drums for free and keeping an eye on Craigslist for a week scored me a Weber for $25, which gave me my lid. If you can't find a Weber you can get a cheapo 22" kettle grill at any of the big boxes for under $50. With the Weber I wanted to keep it usable, so I ended up buying grates for the UDS, which costed me an extra $15. If I had bought a cheapo I'd have used the grates from it, so the actual cost difference would have only been about $10 or so. All I had to actually make was the charcoal basket. I have since added a rope gasket around the top, and I'll get my thread updated with pictures of that. It worked great without it, and it's mostly there to appease my delicate sensibilities. Laughing

If you have any questions at all, just ask. I'm not an expert by any means, having built just the one, but there are some experts here that I'm sure would love to help out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: