FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pros & Cons- Ole Hickory/Southern Pride/Cadillac Cookers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueHazeBBQ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30 14 1:47 am    Post subject: Pros & Cons- Ole Hickory/Southern Pride/Cadillac Cookers Reply with quote

Lets hear your opinions! I am in the market for a commercial cooker and want to hear what others have to say and why. I am considering a Southern pride 700 or Ole Hickory EL-EDX(or larger), or a Cadillac Cooker. I'm leaning towards to OH or CC. Thoughts and comparisons?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30 14 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the ring BlueHazeBBQ, looking forward to seeing some pics of your cooks. Smile
You may want to move this post over to the commercial BBQ forum. The cookers you are wanting to compare are more to their needs. The cooker forum is more based on personal builds, with the occasional manufactured offset making its way here.
Our Moderator SoEzzy will gladly relocate your post for you if you would like it so. Very Happy
Good luck with your search. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
BlueHazeBBQ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30 14 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do
BlueHazeBBQ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30 14 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do ya say, folks?
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30 14 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm,
I have zero experience with gas-fired pits, so I will just watch this one
ole'e

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02 14 3:45 am    Post subject: OH Reply with quote

I have a OH SSL. As far as OH goes the customer service is next to non. Part are easy to get if you do have a problem. Great end product.
ChickHoovenSwine BBQTeam
Backwoods competitor
Ole Hickory SSL
BlueHazeBBQ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04 14 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: OH Reply with quote

ole'e wrote:
I have a OH SSL. As far as OH goes the customer service is next to non. Part are easy to get if you do have a problem. Great end product.

Bad customer service eh? Good thing to keep in mind..
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04 14 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he meant it's a great customer service, knowledgeable, and with speedy service of parts, when needed.

But of course I could be wrong.

I still work here!
SigSauerNY
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05 14 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH has the best service around hands down, and the parts can be found local especially if your near a grainger.

SP are computer controlled, computer goes poof and your cook goes poof, plus its pricier, however they are still good cookers.

OHP worked for me and I keep a spare of the usuals in case one day I need it and its 2am and theres a couple grand of briskets going.
BlueHazeBBQ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05 14 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol I thought that was contrary to what I have heard! Makes more sense now
BlueHazeBBQ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05 14 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone heard any reviews on Cadillac Cookers commercial unit?
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05 14 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SigSauerNY wrote:
OH has the best service around hands down, and the parts can be found local especially if your near a grainger.

SP are computer controlled, computer goes poof and your cook goes poof, plus its pricier, however they are still good cookers.

OHP worked for me and I keep a spare of the usuals in case one day I need it and its 2am and theres a couple grand of briskets going.

I have a half dozen SPs and only ever had 1 part break that wasn't available locally that was a surprise. I could have had the part the next day but choose to save a bunch of money by rebuilding the old part rather than buying a new one. I also have another smoker in my restaurant and 3 trailers as back up, so minor inconvenience for me. Regular inspections and maintenance will generally circumvent these issues.

As far as poof?? I have digital and older units and only had a problem with a switch that came loose and a wire pulled off, same on all models. If you can't do basic repairs you probably aren't going to make it in this business!!!!!! Next, on the digital read out, not really a computer, buy a used smoker for 1/2 the price and get one without digital. Last, you are in the BBQ business, it would be in you best interest to have a back up unit no matter what. I started out with next to no money and made sure my priority was to cover my butt as soon as I could. I would suggest 2 smaller units rather that one big one for several reasons. Security and flexibility being the 2 primary reasons.

All of these rotisserie cookers are about the same as far as I can see and I think it boils down to what works for you, your health department, mechanical inspector and insurance agent. We have to have UL and NSF or equivalent equipment here, no backyard business.
smokin Jim
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06 14 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to be putting it on a trailer?
VC5007 gasser
KCBS CBJ
SigSauerNY
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07 14 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qfanatic01 wrote:
SigSauerNY wrote:

I have a half dozen SPs and only ever had 1 part break that wasn't available locally that was a surprise. I could have had the part the next day but choose to save a bunch of money by rebuilding the old part rather than buying a new one. I also have another smoker in my restaurant and 3 trailers as back up, so minor inconvenience for me. Regular inspections and maintenance will generally circumvent these issues.

As far as poof?? I have digital and older units and only had a problem with a switch that came loose and a wire pulled off, same on all models. If you can't do basic repairs you probably aren't going to make it in this business!!!!!! Next, on the digital read out, not really a computer, buy a used smoker for 1/2 the price and get one without digital. Last, you are in the BBQ business, it would be in you best interest to have a back up unit no matter what. I started out with next to no money and made sure my priority was to cover my butt as soon as I could. I would suggest 2 smaller units rather that one big one for several reasons. Security and flexibility being the 2 primary reasons.

All of these rotisserie cookers are about the same as far as I can see and I think it boils down to what works for you, your health department, mechanical inspector and insurance agent. We have to have UL and NSF or equivalent equipment here, no backyard business.

just repeating what I was told, your advice on a previous post of mine, and phone conversation sold me on a sp 750 for a friend and no issues, I would still make the point the sp is pricier and has a bit more mechanical parts, but is it the end of the world, no.
nskitts

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03 14 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does Cadillac cooker get away with not infringing on copyrights? Even their lettering is made to mimic the Cadillac car lettering. I've seen enough of their pits around to know that they are not too small to get a slap on the wrist.
Prairie Smoke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08 15 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jason... Didn't see this post before so I thought I'd offer my 2 cents. I don't know anything about the Cadillac.

For a mobile application (trailer) - SP's are generally quite a bit lighter and with a smaller footprint. Obviously you can trailer mount an OH as your colleagues in Manitoba have done, just something to keep in mind. For cooking performance, I have little experience. I do like the flexibility of every component being driven by its own switch.

I run 3 different SP pits... Have had a few issues with them, as I'd expect with any pit. I work them hard. I run the 1400 outside in the coldest weather imaginable (-35), and during the summer I've gone 18 days straight, fully loaded 23 hours a day.
Anyway,
Sometimes the parts are readily available locally, other times I need to order them. In Canada, service is provided from Kendale products in Ontario. These guys know the pits inside and out and have NEVER failed me in diagnosing an issue right away. If I need a part, it's in stock in Ontario and in my hands the next day- no need to wait for shipping from the US or costly border delays. Service is amazing - and that was the case when I started with a used pit and had no relationship with them.
JR Enterprises 23-60 pit
Traeger 200, Lil Tex, Memphis Pro, Yoder YS640
WSMs, UDS
FEC-100 x2, Primo oval XL
Weber 22" kettle & smokey joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: