FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

$4.07/LB for choice Brisket!!! Geez...............
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22 15 6:19 am    Post subject: $4.07/LB for choice Brisket!!! Geez............... Reply with quote

So I checked Sysco prices to see where they're at.
I was seeing $4.81/LB for their tiny Play-Sized certified Hereford briskets.

So, I'm thinking we'll be taking our spring break a little earlier, and longer time than planned for this year.

Allegedly it is the St Patricks Day corned beef demand that drove it up this high.
Sadly once prices go up, they are slow to come back down.

Beef prices typically follow petroleum prices, so I have no clue how they got this high.
RodinBangkok
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22 15 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google western draught and beef prices and you'll get some interesting info on one of the major factors that's effecting beef prices.

One good article:

http://dryagebeef.meatingplace.com
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22 15 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info, that explains the ongoing rise, but this sudden spike really caught me by surprise.
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22 15 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are at 3.65 for the smaller Hereford and 3.89 for the usually bigger Ibp both delivered. I'll be checking RD prices and sizes Friday. Last week the Angus Sysco sent me was so small that I said I would check out 1 case of Hereford this week. They came in at 14ish, better, but 16 and up is preferred here too. I'll be asking for the larger cases at my other supplier next week too.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23 15 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sales person was able to do me a solid, my brisket came in at $3.89/LB for PM Windom Prime Grade.

I've tried the Sysco Hereford when I've got into trouble a few times by coming up short for large pre-orders being placed after my meat order has been delivered for the week.
They are just too darn small to do an overnight cook with.

We've seen a sudden upsurge in chopped brisket being ordered, we typically use up the point for that, but now i'm busting into flats for chopped again.
So I looked at pricing on select with thought of using the whole brisket for chopped, and the price is so close to choice & prime right now, I do not see it worth the hassle of carrying different grades.

Allegedly Creekstone offers just points, but it is special order through my distributors and the time frame is too long
Bbq Bubba
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24 15 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sysco. National Beef brisket. $3.83 lb as of today. 80lb cases.

Good stuff!
Northern midwest director for Operation BBQ Relief
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24 15 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bbq Bubba wrote:
Sysco. National Beef brisket. $3.83 lb as of today. 80lb cases.

Good stuff!

I really like "National Beef" But my Sysco house does not carry it here, I see it from my meat provider occasionally.

I don't think i've ever seen a brisket under 18 pounds from national

My top 3 beef choices in order are;
PM Windom (BSI)
National
Creekstone

Bubba, if you ever see Windom in the purple box, snag a case, it is some great stuff.
Shotgun Petes
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26 15 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an old receipt from 2010 for a prime whole brisket from Sam's Club for $1.88 per pound. Now $3.88 per pound!

"If you can't BBQ with the Big Dogs, back away from the Pit!"

SHOTGUN PETE'S BBQ SHACK
28 N Ninth St
COLUMBIA, MO

(Downtown across from The Blue Note)
YardFullOfOak
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06 15 4:53 pm    Post subject: It is even in the Wall Street Journal Reply with quote

The WSJ on brisket prices:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/brisket-was-cheap-and-delicious-now-its-expensive-and-you-have-to-wait-in-line-1423180291?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLE_Video_second

The WSJ on fall-off-the bones brisket:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/austin-the-best-new-barbecue-destination-1415994424
Texman
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06 15 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me provide a view from my side as a rancher.

As the drought started our feed costs increased in an effort to maintain cattle and not damage pastures. As the drought continued herd numbers were reduced over time – to nil.

Cattle prices were cheap as herds were liquidated. Now that rains have returned and pastures improved – the replacement costs of cattle far exceeds the liquidation prices paid.

We also would like to see beef prices decline to a reasonable level that supports all involved. Looks like it may take a few more years.
YardFullOfOak
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10 15 1:37 am    Post subject: Eat more chicken and pork Reply with quote

On the other hand, pork and chicken prices are both low.
bjbbq

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10 15 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at $3.99 lb for certified Angus packers fro Sysco right now.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10 15 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GFS CAB $3.91 today, thats down $0.16/lb from Saturday....but I'm assuming it was just a fluke deal on their end....
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
jbass
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10 15 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid $3.89/lb this morning for choice. Up $0.10/lb from last Friday.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11 15 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Eat more chicken and pork Reply with quote

YardFullOfOak wrote:
On the other hand, pork and chicken prices are both low.

I got raped on chicken wings the week before the superbowl.
But it was expected.

Lets do the math on Brisket costs, and prices that'll need to be charged to meet a crappy 33.3% food cost ratio.

Lets use $4.00/LB for ease of math.

typically people see a 50% yield, (some see more, some see less) so that makes our cost at $8/LB
Multiply that by 3.33 and we'd need to charge $26.64/LB to meet that 33.3% cost ratio.

There is no way in hell that will ever fly in my area.

i'll soon be shutting down for our spring break in a few weeks, hopefully I can ride this out, or we may need to jack beef prices up here, and offer an alternative such as chopped clod for a more economical sandwich option.
I refuse to lower quality or quantity,

This is why I diversified our offerings a year ago, and continue to diversify even more to stay competitive.
YardFullOfOak
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11 15 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Eat more chicken and pork Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
need to charge $26.64/LB to meet that 33.3% cost ratio.

You don't need to meet that cost ratio. The only other cost that goes up because brisket prices go up is the cost of food waste.

All you need is to make the same dollars per guest or per hour worked or however you want to measure it.

$100 from serving brisket is equal to $100 from serving chicken, even if the margin percentages work out differently.
jbass
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11 15 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
$100 from serving brisket is equal to $100 from serving chicken, even if the margin percentages work out differently.

This is not entirely true, while yes I still have $100 in my hand at the end of the hour of selling brisket or chicken I did not profit the same amount, unless I am operating on a percentage. Lets say chicken cost me $1.21/lb and brisket cost $3.78/lb accounting for 50% loss during cooking (ymmv) I am paying $2.42/lb for chicken and $7.56/lb for brisket for finished product, not counting fuel, rub, labor ect. If I sell chicken for $7.99/lb (which is a little under 33% food cost) and brisket for $15.99/lb (which is ~50% food cost) I would need to sell 12.5 lbs of chicken or 6.25 lbs of brisket to gross $100. But I would profit $70.96 from the chicken but only $52.75 from brisket for the same $100 gross. This is of course assuming labor, fuel, overhead ect is free.

So while saying food cost percentages don't mater sounds nice on the surface the math indicated otherwise. I am not saying you have to be under 33% on every item, lord knows I am not, but my over all food cost is below 33%. If it is any higher than that it makes staying in business and turning a profit very hard.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12 15 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Eat more chicken and pork Reply with quote

YardFullOfOak wrote:
Harry Nutczak wrote:
need to charge $26.64/LB to meet that 33.3% cost ratio.

You don't need to meet that cost ratio. The only other cost that goes up because brisket prices go up is the cost of food waste.

All you need is to make the same dollars per guest or per hour worked or however you want to measure it.

Not quite,

there is a whole bunch more involved.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08 15 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry, GFS keeps expanding their turf, maybe make it up by you soon?? All I get is National beef through them - I order the 9-11# and still get the occasional 16+ # although todays prime [ case marked choice, charged for choice ] were all 9#+/-....Great for me getting a little extra sleep, but they will all be done a lot sooner than originally anticipated! Should have busted the case open when it arrived yeaterday...I could have slept in...you know, 6 full hours! Confused Shocked
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
jbass
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08 15 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my vendors came by yesterday and brought his "protein" guy with him. I hate to say it but he said beef is going to continue to stay high and rise for the foreseeable future. Right now we are making margin on our sandwhichs and plates, but I cringe every time someone orders brisket in bulk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: