FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I really need ground Mustard for my sauce?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lguest25

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16 15 9:15 pm    Post subject: Do I really need ground Mustard for my sauce? Reply with quote

I have adapted my own sauce from one a local bbq place here local. It calls for ground mustard and I've always used it. I am finding it difficult to find enough ground mustard to make more than a few gallons at a time. Do I really even need this? Can I use prepared mustard instead? I'm planning on making 10 gallons for a fundraiser meal and I could only find 6 oz compared to the 20 oz it calls for. Plus that crap is unbelievably expensive for so little spice.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16 15 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally ground mustard has a hotter flavor than prepared mustard, and so proportionally you need less ground mustard.

If you can find a local source of mustard flour, you can buy in bulk at reasonable prices... if you can't then use prepared mustard, the difficulties are balancing the other parts of the different flavors than prepared mustard will add, the vinegar for instance.

If using 20 Oz ground mustard, double, (or treble), the amount of prepared mustard to compensate.

Hope that helps?

I still work here!
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17 15 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried Amazon? You can get various quantities from a few oz's to 25 pounds.

http://www.amazon.com/Colmans-Mustard-Powder-16-Ounce-Cans/dp/B001EQ582E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421428742&sr=8-2&keywords=ground+dry+mustard
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17 15 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also try believe it or not health food stores for whole mustard seed, not to buy from them but from their source. BTW Ten gallons of sauce ? Shocked for one event ? Are they doing a mud/sauce wrestling event...
lguest25

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17 15 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys. Jess I usually do 3-5 gallons and always run out. I'm making sure I don't this time. Plus if I have a ton left over looks like my daughter will be giving sauce instead of candy at her school Valentine's party. I'm going to make a batch without it and see how different it is. I've always wondered what the mustard did cause I never use it for anything else. Must be why Wally world doesn't carry much of it.
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18 15 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I checked and it doesn't come in #10 cans, but you can buy the powder in 25 boxes. I would have thought the food service industry would package mustard like they do ketchup.
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18 15 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap, I forgot I used to make the stuff. It's amazing how little it costs to make. An extra step to be sure but then you get to control the flavors. I use the "Recipe Source" for those recipes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: