FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bacon....cold smoking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burnt Endz
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14 15 1:50 am    Post subject: bacon....cold smoking Reply with quote

Last year I shot a pig and had "intentions" of using the pork belly for bacon but I just wasn't very confident in what I was doing. Now that deer season is over it's time to once again thin out the hogs. That being said, I'd like to be a little more confident to remove the correct cut and use it for bacon.
I've built a cold smoker and plan to use that for the smoking part. Then vacuum seal and freeze what doesn't get eaten immediately.

I'm going through old posts trying to learn and I've searched up youtube videos but I wanted to hear from the resident ringers as to what you guys suggest. I have plenty of cure on hand. Just need help with removing the correct part of the pig for bacon and then some recipes Smile

thanks!!
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14 15 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boar or sow?

I imagine boar may be a bit gamey with the skatole concentration associated with intact boars around breeding age sows
Besides that, cut dead center up the belly line, and remove the entire piece of flesh to about midway up the ribs toward the spine.

You're going to want to go after what is referred to as "Side" on the attached chart

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/beefporkothermeats/ss/cutsofpork.htm
Burnt Endz
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14 15 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a sow and that's ideally what i'd like to shoot....but sometimes you have to take what's offered lol

I "think" I have an idea of where to cut it from. The flank area?
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15 15 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burnt Endz wrote:
It was a sow and that's ideally what i'd like to shoot....but sometimes you have to take what's offered lol

I "think" I have an idea of where to cut it from. The flank area?

Click on the link I provided, it is marked as "Side" on the chart
Burnt Endz
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15 15 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got it! thank you! Smile

you could just as easily hang the bacon during the cold smoking process right?
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15 15 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burnt Endz wrote:
got it! thank you! Smile

you could just as easily hang the bacon during the cold smoking process right?

Yup, I either place on the rack in my mes40 or hang on S hooks when cold smoking. Sorry for the delay, I got your PM, will post a recipe for a few of my own recipes soon (vanilla bourbon is posted somewhere here). I have the English style bacon and the Black Forest. For other ratios I have to give credit to Harry. I go with .75 tbsp salt and sugar per pound. For every 5lbs I use one level teaspoon of cure #1. If you want honey I add around a cup of honey to this per 5lbs. For maple a cup of real maple syrup. You can also use different sugar. I use maple sugar for my maple bacon with great results! I also like to add black pepper roughly crushed at about 2tbsp per 5lbs of meat. Cure for 7 days or so, wash well (I don't want large peppercorns on mine), dry, form a pellicle by letting it sit uncovered in the fridge over night or a few hours in front of a fan. Then cold smoke, I usually do 12 hours after which I let it rest wrapped up a few days to mellow before slicing. Smoking wood is your preference but my experience is hickory, apple, cherry and maple work best. Depending on what I am making I sometimes mix it up, half apple and half cherry. If you are cold smoking the AmazenSmoker for pellets and dust works great, I use pellets in mine.
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15 15 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add, for the salt portion of the cure use kosher or sea salt, non-iodized. Regular iodized table salt imparts an odd flavour and is not recommended for any type of curing.

I also have started vac packing my bacon during the curing stage with the honey/maple syrup poured right in with it after rubbing with the dry cure. Then I seal it on the wet setting and toss it in the fridge. You can also use large ziplock bags but they may leak so place them on a tray in the fridge. There is debate about turning and stacking and whether you need to. I usually stack mine two high. Once a day I flip them around and reverse the order so the top piece is now on the bottom. I don't think it is mandatory but I do it anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: