FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

X4 is on wheels~~FINISHED 10/10/15~~PIC HEAVY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16 15 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got a some free time to work on the cooker. I have the cooker close to done, and really was getting frustrated with a couple things, so moved on to the storage portion of the build that I have in mind.

So my plan is to have a large storage box behind the cooker. The box is 36" x 74" and 24" deep. Of the 24", 6" of the bottom will be its own separate space that will hold two 6' tables.

I am making the frame work for the storage box out of 1.5x1.5 scrap iron (easy Kevin) I had some pieces made that will tie into the 1.5 scrap iron and then will also frame out a door opening as well.

Started out by framing the door opening where the tables will slide in and out of.

Then framed out the rest of the 6" tall part of the box.

Once that was done, basically framed out another box on top of the framework.

Once the top part was framed out and square, I started adding side panels on the lower section. I cut some 14ga sheeting I had laying around and made panels that lay inside the scrap iron framework. When its all said and done, I will use an industrial sealant and seal everything good and then paint over it.

I made sure everything was still good and square and added the end panels on the large box to hold everything in place solid. I then added a center cross brace. This brace will hold the box in shape and will also be a divider where I can run two smaller lids compared to one large one.

Had to get some square tubing on this box somewhere! Used 1.5 tube as cross braces for the flooring of the larger box.

Got everything done on the bottom portion of the box and cleaned it up good, then went through and sealed all the panels from the inside. I will seal most everything from the outside as well, but I want these boxes to be water tight, so I didn't cut any corners in getting it sealed.

Once everything was sealed on the bottom side, I added the plate that will be the bottom of the storage box. Im using up some 14ga material I had cut for some trailer builds a couple years ago and ended up not doing. Im tired of looking at and tripping over this stuff, so Im trying to use some of it up on this build as well as another one in the future.

The bottom plate in and stich welded in.

Once that was done, I added the two outside plates. Im not going to do the sides up next to the cooker at this time, I want to get it sand blasted and my blaster came by and said he would have plenty of room with box there and those two openings to get to the back of the cooker.

So it makes a little more sense in these pictures what Im looking to do. There will be a door here that opens towards the wheel and will store two 6' tables. Once the top part of the box is done, it will be 18" deep, so it should be able to hold plenty of wood, tents, chairs...whatever can be tossed in there.

More to follow...
biker.chef
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16 15 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of attention to details.
And I enjoyed the pics. Thanks for posting
EAT BACON
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17 15 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work Troy, it looks like the plan came together nicely I like what I am seeing. Very Happy
Looking forward to this weekend my Friend. Very Happy
I am gonna reserve my angle iron post for after this weekend. I may need to reword it who knows. Razz Very Happy Laughing

Hybrid Cooker
Flyingj
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17 15 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding work Troy! I plan on having a small storage box on my trailer and couldn't decide whether to buy or build. One of my hangups was getting a weathertight seal. Looks like you solved that problem with the adhesive. I prefer stitch welding the thin metal vs. full welds. What is that stuff you are using?
plbass
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26 15 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Troy. Making some serious progress. Very Happy
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27 15 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker.chef, thank you for taking a look Very Happy

Thanks Kevin, nice when a plan finally comes together! The weekend was short, but a great time as always brother.

Flyingj, Thanks for taking a look. Not sure on buying or building man, depending on the size your looking at, you can probably buy complete for what it costs in materials and time to build. I wanted a large box behind the cooker, so it was hard to find one premade that size, plus I have a ton of 14ga sheets laying around. I used BASF Industrial DegaSeal 2000 to seal all my seams. I have a connection where I can get it fairly cheap. Its good stuff!

Paul, Thank you brother! Between work and weather I haven't been able to get much done the past couple weeks. Of course spending a weekend with this guy kinda slowed down progress also Laughing Laughing Laughing

Good times though and well worth the trip Very Happy
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27 15 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrailerBuilder wrote:

Good times though and well worth the trip Very Happy

Toasting up some "Broskies" Right on!
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27 15 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good times though and well worth the trip Very Happy[/quote]

Troy...Always Cool to see one of your concepts come to Fruition! Cool Over the High bar, Brother!
Seein' You Two Boyz together is the Epitome of "Hand in Glove"! Glad to hear a Good Time was had by Two Good Ol' Boyz! Wink

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28 15 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good times for sure Brother, I enjoyed our visit. Very Happy I look forward to this summer. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06 15 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with a "Broskie" now and then huh Mike Maybe next time you can make the journey?

Tony, thanks for taking a look and the kind words. Always a good time when Kevin and I hang out Very Happy

Kevin, the visit was short my friend but well worth it. We must do it again soon. Trent says we need a bigger place and a dart board Shocked Better bring the A game brother Wink
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06 15 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrailerBuilder wrote:
Nothing wrong with a "Broskie" now and then huh Mike Maybe next time you can make the journey?

I have been known to venture outside of Wrecklessville on occasion. I'll have to check my inventory first just to be sure my membership card is validated. That sweet looking load of smoker burning combustibles you were supposedly gonna show up with is gonna be hard to top.
ChuckieD
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22 15 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy.
She is looking great! and I expect no less from you bro! Haaa!!!
I do need an update with pcs tho! Mr. Green Cool

Big Green Egg XL
UDS build
The Old Brick Barbecue Project!
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10 15 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it has been like forever since I have posted updates on this build or since Ive even posted on the Ring. Its been a crazy spring, summer, and already fall. A lot of changes for my family and I both professionally and personally, nothing terrible and nothing we cant deal with, but just throws you a curve ball now and then.

So with trailer builds, work and life, this cooker project has seen more time outside and out of the way covered with a tarp than anything else. I finally got solid dedicated time for it and was on the mission to finish it come hell or high water!

So when I left off I had gotten the big storage box pretty much framed out and wrapped up, so we will take it from there.

I moved to the front side of the cooker and started on the prep table/box. Started framing it out with the special angles I had broke way back when and some other scrap iron. Also ran square tube from the big box to the front of the trailer, this will be a divider.

Started building out the framework for the burner stand. First skinned the dry box and prep table, and then framed it out with scrap iron.

Once that was framed out and skinned, I sealed the inside good to make it water tight.

Once that was done, I put the top skin on.

Built the frame work for the burner. 1" square tube.

Put the divider skin up and framed out the right front of the trailer. This area will be for coolers or what ever fits in the space. Also put a piece of tread plate on the tongue of the trailer.

Once that was done, I added a wind break for the burner.

Wanted a place for a propane bottle on the front, but didn't want to build a contraption to hold the bottle in place. Somewhere in that time frame I got the heavy duty jack welded in also.

Took a piece of 12" pipe I had and a piece of 16ga sheet metal and worked and wrapped it around the pipe.

Framed a shelf out of scrap iron and cut the corners off it to eliminate 2 thigh grabbers. Installed the fenders before this process.

Next project was to make a handle for the drain on the smoker. Ran a sleeve through the tubing and welded it in place, then ran the rod to the valve through the sleeve. This is the closed position.

And open

Cant remember who on the Ring I "borrowed" the T handle idea from on the tuning plates, but Thank You Very Happy

Wanted to get a test burn in to make sure she'd perform good and that there was no smoke coming from places I didn't want it to come from. She performed just as planned.

Will add more tomorrow.

Last edited by TrailerBuilder on Sun Oct 11 15 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11 15 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the cooker was making smoke, I started working on the doors for the boxes. My original plan was to have some broke at the metal shop. but that fell through, and when it was all said and done, Im glad it did. The way I made these kept with the look of the rest of the build, and it was way cheaper!

Started by framing out the door with 1x1 scrap iron.

Once the framework was square and tacked up good, I added the skin.

Once I confirmed my measurements were good and everything was square, I welded the skin down. While welding it up, I made sure the frame was clamped down good where it wouldn't warp while welding. I let it cool completely before removing the clamps.

Once it cooled, I flipped it over and cut some 3/4" square tubing and ran it on the inside. This will stiffen the door up significantly, but the main purpose is so the door seal will have a good flat surface to seal against.

Welded it out, again keeping the clamps on it until it completely cooled.

Everything sanded down and cleaned up.

Did both doors this way and did a test fit while the cooker was still smoking away. They fit up just as I had hoped they would.

Did the long door where the folding tables will store also. This door was a little more reluctant to work with me, being as long as it was, it wanted to bow regardless of what I did. I finally got it welded out though and in good shape and test fitted.

Next was the 2 lids for the large box behind the cooker. It was framed out of 1.5x1.5 scrap iron so I made a 1.25 square tube frame on the top to help seal off the lids. I built them then test fitted them and got them in place. When I was ready to weld them in place for good, I ran a good bead of sealant on them, clamped them down solid and plug welded them in place. This will keep water from finding a way into the box.

The first lid is tacked up here, but starting on the second. I cut my 1.5 scrap iron to fit the opening and built the framework on the box. This way if it was a little out of square or any tweaks that needed to be made to make it fit perfectly could be done.

Once everything was fit into place and where I wanted it, I put the lids on the saw horses and welded them out. Once that was done, I refit them on the box to make sure they were what I wanted. I couldn't put anything on solid at this point because the trailer was making a trip to the blasters and he needed access through the box to get to the back of the cooker.

I got the smaller doors on hinges and mounted and then dropped the cooker off at the blasters. Very Happy

Picked it up the next day. Still amazes me the difference in looks of things when I get something blasted. Trent thought this made the whole set up look a lot smaller. Laughing I just know there was a lot of sand everywhere! I accused my sand blaster of filling the boxes full of sand just because he could...he just smiled and winked. Confused

Once the sand was all cleaned out, back inside she goes.

Next step was finishing the box, but in order to do that I needed to paint the back and under side of the cooker because I would not be able to access it once the box was done.

Also pre painted the sheet metal for the backside of the box.

Once the paint was dry, I welded the sheet metal in place on the box.

From the cooker side.

Sat the lid back on and fit it where it needed to be. Tacked the hinges onto the lid, then pulled it back off and welded the hinges in place on the lid. Back on with the lid.

Set in place where I wanted and tacked the hinges to the box.

A few test open and closes and a couple adjustments and the hinge was plug welded onto the box.

Did a repeat on the 2nd lid and then added the handles. Used the same 1/2" SS rod and SS spring handles that were used on the cooker and firebox.

Both handles on.

Built a slide bar lock to hold the lids open without any problems. Kevin and I had a pretty good phone call on this one tossing around 3 or 4 different ideas. This was a similar concept that he has had great luck with and it worked out well with my build. Your help is always appreciated Kevin! Very Happy

Used some 1/4" x 1" flat bar and a piece of scrap iron I had laying around. Cut a groove in the scrap iron for the flat bar to travel in and cut a notch in the flat bar when I had the lid opened where I wanted it. I put a small weld on the scrap iron edge where the flat bar slides onto it. Also put a small weld on the tip of where I made my notch in the flat bar. What happens is when I open the lid, the bar slides up and falls into the groove and the two welds act as a stop and wont let the flat bar come off the scrap iron unless you lift the lid and pull the flat bar back. This will keep the lid from coming down on you unexpectedly.

Both lids are done. It was actually more of a PITA to get the 2nd lid done than the first. I wanted them to be exact when opened and that took a couple attempts to achieve, but I am very happy with the outcome.

Last thing to do was to add 2 lockable latches per lid.

Once the big box was done, it was time for the handles on the other doors. One side marked out and one cut out.

First handle in.

Both handles done. Did the same thing for the door on the backside of the cooker.

Marked out the holes for the Tel-Tru therms. Used a large uni-bit and drilled the holes and then welded 1/2 thread-o-lets in.

I went ahead and welded in some stiffeners on the two large lids. Keeps them in place and from flexing any. Then it was time to start sealing everything up. I want this to be water tight so I sealed everything inside and out.

Inside the box.

The lids.

And everywhere else...

Off to the paint booth she went Wink

Had a couple spots that I did not like when it dried, so wet sanded it down and shot some more color on it.

Got the paint right on and back in the shop she went for finishing touches. Basically door seals and gaskets, therms, and added some chrome lugs and center caps to the white spoke wheels. Ran all the wiring in flexible conduit and installed LED lighting.

The final product Very Happy

Thanks for looking Very Happy
BurnBern
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11 15 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrailerBuilder Awesome build! She really looks good and great attention to detail. She looks like she going to be a pleasure to pull around behind on the open raods.

Happy smoking on her and looking forward to seening some pics when you have some meat on.

By the way what paint did you use on her and did you prime her before you painted?
Jim38344
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11 15 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW !!! Smile
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11 15 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome work Troy and one to be proud of Brother. Very Happy I am gonna miss our round table discussions maybe you need to start another one soon. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
wango
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11 15 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! TrailerBuilder that is amazing work, beautiful job. I can't wait to see pics of her in action
xring01
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11 15 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, well done.
missionsusmc
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11 15 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geeze what a cooker! You've got some serious skills, man! I love the banter between you and KAM about angle vs. tubing and scrap vs new material. Very Happy I know you stuck a 3500 lb axle under it. Have you put it on a scale to weigh it yet? So, is this cooker for personal use, or is the church or business getting it? Where's the meat?

Mary had a little lamb, a little brisket, a little ribs, and boy she was full!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: