FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gravity Fed Reverse Flow

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DunnSmoke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01 15 4:44 am    Post subject: Gravity Fed Reverse Flow Reply with quote

Has anyone tried something like this?
I have a 20 x 36 tank that I am wanting to experiment with.
I would be grateful for any feedback.

Thanks
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02 15 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you thinking of fueling the pit with, charcoal or wood?

If you go with charcoal and chunk wood, you can build your chute, firebox, and ash catcher as an inline set, your chute doesn't want to be much over 8" x 8" or 10" x 10".

Flare out your chute at the top of your firebox, and drop your firebox, so that the size of the firebox starts about 1 - 1.5" below the bottom of the firebox to cooking chamber and stop the firebox 2" above the FBCC opening.

Build your firebox out of the thickest material you can work with, if you can weld out to 1/2" build your firebox with that, build your fire grate at the bottom of your firbox out of rebar with a tight gap or with rebar with an expanded metal topper, but make it so the grate / grate and topper, can be slide in through the ash box door. That way when, (not if), you burn through the fire grate, you can remove the old one and put in a new one.

If you want to go with bigger logs of wood for your smoke wood, your can place them in the ashbox and they smolder with the heat coming at them from above.

If you make a liner/ catcher you can pop the door and pull the ash pan / liner out and empty it even in the middle of a cook if you have to.

Using a large diameter ball valve for your intake is a good way to build in your control, you can also then use an Guru or other digital fan controller.

Search the web for Gravity Feed Clones, the old Prairie BBQ website used to have a wonderful collection of Clone builds, but the site went down for some reason a year or so ago, there are a number of builds on the Brethren and other sites, but the old Prairie BBQ used to have the cream of the crop!

Good luck with your build, you'll want a well sealing door on the cooking chamber, I'd even look at pull down locks for it to make sure you maintain a good tight seal!

I still work here!
DunnSmoke

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02 15 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SoEzzy
I plan on using charcoal and wood chunks.
I will make a removable ash pan.
I have a 2" ball valve for the air intake and it can be reduced for a guru.
I was going to get started on a reverse flow, but I have not built a gravity fed yet, and thought this would give me the opportunity to experiment.
The actual firebox will be 1\2" thick. A friend of mine is a steel distributor. I will have him make that piece for me.
I was not sure of the height, but I had to start drawing somewhere.
I plan on using the same door seals as I used on my competition pit and the hold downs will be the same as I have on my big pit.
Again thank you for the feed back. It will be weekend after next before I get started, but I would like to have my plan figured out most of the way before then.
1MoreFord
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02 15 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's about the best site I've seen for pit building.

http://www.smokerbuilder.com/
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02 15 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1MoreFord wrote:
Here's about the best site I've seen for pit building.

http://www.smokerbuilder.com/

Frank and the guys over there put out some pretty good cookers, their calculator is a bit short compared to the original made here. But I believe we have the best forum for cooker building knowledge. Very Happy
John, give me a bit to locate it but there is one here on the ring although I do not think he ever posted completed pics.
He did say it works well though.

Hybrid Cooker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02 15 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go John. Very Happy
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47471&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Hybrid Cooker
DunnSmoke

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02 15 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin.
I will start a new thread once I am able to get started.
I think it will make for an interesting project.

I have a much larger tank ( 40 x 60) that I plan on turning into a hog cooker. If this concept works as well as I think, I plan to make a gravity fed hog cooker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: