FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Change of plans for my build, (sorry k.a.m)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bigg Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01 15 8:11 am    Post subject: Change of plans for my build, (sorry k.a.m) Reply with quote

Season greeting all. Okay I was going to make a smoker out of a150 gallon tank on a 4x8 trailer. With cooking chamber operational from the rear of trailer. Going with the setup just decided to go with fast charcoal/wood burner instead. The tank is 36"x40" and I plan to have two cooking rack 30x 30 and 30x28. I want to install a pull out charcoal tray with a v shape design (like the one on the pic built below), to level the charcoal and create a good air flow underneath and two butterfly air intake on each side of grill. Want to have the first grate 16" above the fire.

Now my need help question.

Do I need to install stack on top of grill. If so what's a good size and how many. (I was thinking two 3" stacks on each end of grill. 3"x 24" with damper plates on top of stack).

And if I somehow made a v shape drip out of tin or some thin metal that was the size of the bottom cooking grate with a 1" pipe centered in the middle of the drip pan with an outlet in the middle of the bottom of grill. I'm up for ideas but trashing my smoker build being I may do 85% fast cooking. Thanks in advance.....

My project pic

k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01 15 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off Bigg Boy, no reason to be sorry. We help each other out here, that is what we do. Wink Heck I have changed directions in the middle of a build on more than one occasion. I believe everything happens for a reason. Smile
Four 3" exhausts for the most part will most likely be overkill, but I like the idea of options so on your size chamber I believe it is a good idea.
You may think about running them down the back side and adjust as you need them.
I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Bigg Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01 15 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there kam. That's was a typo. What I meant to say was one stack on each back end of the cooker sizing out at 3" thick by 24" high.

What do you think about the drip pan I'm describing. Do you think the tin plate will conflict with my heat flow to the grates.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01 15 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigg Boy wrote:
Hey there kam. That's was a typo. What I meant to say was one stack on each back end of the cooker sizing out at 3" thick by 24" high.

What do you think about the drip pan I'm describing. Do you think the tin plate will conflict with my heat flow to the grates.

Personally if I am grilling I want the meat juices to hit the coals that is where a lot of the good flavor is. If you are wanting to just cook at a higher temp without that effect then I would say it may work. Bare in mind the heat from the coal will make short work of thin metal between the coals and meat. Expect warping, and a premature life.

Hybrid Cooker
Bigg Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02 15 8:40 am    Post subject: Great point Reply with quote

Okay so no drip pan. But everything else is a go. Will begin project soon and pic will be posted as work progresses. Happy New Years to you and your family.
Bigg Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02 15 9:47 am    Post subject: Question. Reply with quote

With a 36" diameter cooking chamber. At what size should my charcoal rack be.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04 15 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a rough guess Bigg Boy but I would think about 18" wide would get you off the bottom pretty good for air flow. I would want at least 12" between my coals and grate though.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: