FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BBQ Sauce start up cost?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mwlovelace

PostPosted: Jan 04 2015    Post subject: BBQ Sauce start up cost? Reply with quote

i was curious if someone on here has started up a bbq sauce business on the side and if so, what kind of cost to start up? I was approached by the CEO of a grocery store chain that tried my sauce at a church event. They have over 100 stores in NC and Virginia. They focus on local companies and he said I should think about it seriously. He stated if I did, come see him. I've used it for my part time bbq catering business and had "dreams" of bottling professionally down the road. I understand the mark up is not very much and have looked into a co-pack possibility. I would need to send off for nutritional analysis, ex etc. The local stores here do not carry authentic "western style nc bbq sauce" and that is what I make (family recipe for many years, with a little tweaking).

I currently sale a 16 oz mason jar for $5, but moving to a sauce bottle (12 oz) for the same price.

If no one wants to respond here, you can PM me for conversation. Just wondering if it is really worth the initial start up cost and most cost effective approach!

Thank you, Mike
SoEzzy
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Jan 04 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/search.php go here, input copacker in the top box, you'll get 75 results that should answer most of your questions.

I still work here!
Mwlovelace

Thanks. I did a search trying bbq sauce and just sauce. Everything came up except what I was wanting Smile

Thank you
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

I see you're in my general area. If/when you go shopping for a co-packer take a look at Golding Farms right outside of Clemmons.

http://goldingfarms.com/golding-farms-business-to-business/

Edit: Just re-red your post. Disregard my suggestion since it looks like you're wanting to embark on the packing yourself.
Mwlovelace

I may be looking for copacker, so thanks for the heads up?
SoEzzy
BBQ Super All Star

If you have a HD approved commissary, you can get it written in to make small batches and bottle on site, the biggest problems are generally the step up from small scale, to a commercially viable setup.

The advantage of the copacker is reducing the capital investment with boilers and bottlers until you see if it's a seller.

I still work here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: