FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Butchering pigs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lokin4deer

PostPosted: Dec 27 2014    Post subject: Butchering pigs? Reply with quote

Hey guys last year I got in on a deal with butchering pigs. We do it all the pigs show up to the party in a trailer and leave in a cooler. This is done over 2 days. Last year I just went with the flow being the new guy. This year I am looking for any thoughts anyone may have? I will be splitting my pig with a guy like I did last year. Last year I got pork chops, ribs, rear ham was smoked for steaks and sliced ham, I had the guy cut up the front shoulder cut in approx 4 lb hunks for pulled pork, bacon and all the scraps was put in sausage. The small hunks for pulled pork wasn't as good as the bigger hunks. Not sure why unless it was because I lost some of the fat cap? Thanks for any help guys!!
SoEzzy
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Dec 27 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sugarmtnfarm.com/2014/04/04/what-good-is-a-pig-cuts-of-pork-nose-to-tail/ here is a simple cut chart, the lower front legs include the hocks and the pigs feet.

If I was having one cut myself, the back leg would go for a single ham, the belly would go for bacon, the front shoulder I would have as a 2 piece split, butt at the top and picnic at the bottom, hocks and pigs feet below, the lower ribs I would have as spare ribs, the upper ribs I would have either as a standing rib roast, or as loin back ribs, with the loin, and tenderloin separated. The sirloin end and the butt end I would have as roasts. and if you like a stew, take the neck meat for stewing or grinding. About the only part I don't take would be the head, I can't get my family to eat head cheese or tongue, cheeks etc.

I still work here!
lokin4deer

SoEzzy wrote:
http://sugarmtnfarm.com/2014/04/04/what-good-is-a-pig-cuts-of-pork-nose-to-tail/ here is a simple cut chart, the lower front legs include the hocks and the pigs feet.

If I was having one cut myself, the back leg would go for a single ham, the belly would go for bacon, the front shoulder I would have as a 2 piece split, butt at the top and picnic at the bottom, hocks and pigs feet below, the lower ribs I would have as spare ribs, the upper ribs I would have either as a standing rib roast, or as loin back ribs, with the loin, and tenderloin separated. The sirloin end and the butt end I would have as roasts. and if you like a stew, take the neck meat for stewing or grinding. About the only part I don't take would be the head, I can't get my family to eat head cheese or tongue, cheeks etc.

Thanks Ezzy just what I was looking for!
flyin-lowe
BBQ Pro

Obviously size comes into play but the last two pigs I had butchered I had each ham cut in half, so I got four hams. Each half was between 8-10 pounds which is still pretty good size unless you are feeding a huge crowd. It's hard to beat good fresh pork.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: