FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mexican Roasted Corn on the discada

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Discada Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seattlepitboss
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25 14 5:16 am    Post subject: Mexican Roasted Corn on the discada Reply with quote

We were in Arizona recently and got served really nice roasted corn on the cob. It was served Mexican style, slathered with mayonnaise and sprinkled with grated cotija cheese. I've had corn like that before and oh boy is it delicious!

When I got home I decided to try to shoot for the same effect, but without having to find and buy good corn on the cob which is a little scarce in the Seattle area except for a few weeks in the late summer. This is what I came up with:

I started with a two pound bag of cheap frozen yellow corn. I wanted to get it completely thawed and at least partly dried off, so I used a jelly roll pan lined with paper towels and spread the corn kernels out for an hour or so.

I heated up the discada and put in a little oil and also a little butter to add some flavor.

Added the corn:

Spread it out and let it roast for a couple minutes, then stir it up and spread it out again. The corn starts popping and the incredible smell of roasting corn fills the air. Continue until the corn has quite a bit of color.

Then remove it to a bowl and add mayonnaise and shredded cotija cheese and stir it in.

Here it is plated along with some ham, scalloped potatoes and steamed broccoli:

Have a nice Christmas! - seattlepitboss
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25 14 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you hit it spot on on the color, and probably the flavor too. That golden brown just before char has a great flavor as far as I'm concerned, mixed up with the mayo and the cheese, I can almost taste it!

Going to have to make some in the New Year.

I still work here!
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26 14 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks awesome, and the color is right on. Will give this a go during the holiday break for sure. Care to share how much your mixture of mayo and cheese are?
seattlepitboss
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27 14 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say it but I don't measure either the mayonnaise or the cheese. Use enough mayo to make all of the corn sticky, then use a generous amount of grated cotija cheese. Best I can do, but I don't think you can go wrong here.

The best thing about this recipe is the awesome roasted corn smell that wafts up from the disco while cooking.

seattlepitboss
Fish and teach

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28 14 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks so good! I love roasted corn salad. It looks a lot like that
Nutsy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25 16 3:01 pm    Post subject: Corn on the cob Reply with quote

My wife who is Mexican loves that corn on the cob. I never thought of doing this in my Disc (or cowboy wok) which I bought in Mexico. Another reason to get it out

Your Corn looks great how did it turn out?

Thanks for the idea

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Discada Cooking All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: